Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $100 per year = cheapest way to keep your number?

Feedback Score

$100 per year = cheapest way to keep your number?

based on everything I read on AT&T prepaid site and this forum, i think the cheapest way to keep your number from post-paid account is to switch to pre-paid, select $2 per day plan, and get a $100 refill card. This would be the cheapest way to keep that number if you are not going to be on AT&T network during that period.

Is this correct? please confirm.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If you are not going to use the line, the $0.25 per minute or the $2.00 per day would have the equivalent cost since no funds would be used. Using fewer than eight minutes on a day would make the $0.25 per minute plan less costly.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    If you can find someone with an old "legacy" pay as you go SIM, that would cost $10 /year.
    I looked on Ebay, a couple of people wanted around $100 or more for their old legacy SIM's.
    Next cheapest is Page Plus, $30/Yr (3 refills). 10c/min H2O, $40/yr, 5c/min.
    If you just want to keep the # alive, port it to Google Voice. I think it's $20.

Feedback Score

park your number at T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by fb3003 View Post
    based on everything I read on AT&T prepaid site and this forum, i think the cheapest way to keep your number from post-paid account is to switch to pre-paid, select $2 per day plan, and get a $100 refill card. This would be the cheapest way to keep that number if you are not going to be on AT&T network during that period.

Port your number over to T-Mobile and get their PayGo plan. A $36 refill will keep your number active for a year. $3 a month for 30 units to use on any combination of Talk or Text and then $0.10 a minute/message flat rate for usage above that.

Feedback Score
    Port the number to Google Voice for $20. Leave it there and use whatever number you get next for the cellphone. Forward the GV number to any cellphone number you get. Never have to bother with porting numbers again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fb3003 View Post

If you need to park the number on AT&T Prepaid, you could buy 4 $25 refill cards for $90 from an online vendor like CallingMart.com. Each $25 card covers 90 days. You'd save $10, but have to remember to add the funds every 90 days.

If you don't need to park the number on AT&T Prepaid, several other options were offered in this (and many other hofo) threads.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Google voice. $20 one time fee.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumGourmet View Post
    Port your number over to T-Mobile and get their PayGo plan. A $36 refill will keep your number active for a year. $3 a month for 30 units to use on any combination of Talk or Text and then $0.10 a minute/message flat rate for usage above that.
    I have parked a number on this plan. Doesn't the 1st month with SIM cost $10?

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    I have parked a number on this plan. Doesn't the 1st month with SIM cost $10?
    NO. You have to Pay a minimum of $10 , but only $3 a month is deducted. This also gives you 30 minutes to use or lose each month.

Feedback Score
    Do you plan on using the number any? One option could be to Port to Truphone with their free incoming calls and 9 cents/min out. A 30 sim comes with 15 in airtime last time I checked

Also porting to H2O wireless on their pay as you go would be 10 for 90 days service and net you 200 min or texts at 5cents each.

TracFone if you hit a deal right can get you a year of service and 1200 minutes between 50and 100 dollars.

Red Pocket has an eBay plan that is $60 a year for 100 min and 100 texts a month.

Finally of all you want to do is hold into the number without using it Google Voice is $20 to Port into. TMobile for their paygo is 36 a year with very limited minutes.

What is the ultimate plan for this number?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    NO. You have to Pay a minimum of $10 , but only $3 a month is deducted. This also gives you 30 minutes to use or lose each month.

T Mobile charged me $10 for the SIM and first month of service. I am just curious how you had $10 T Mobile add the $10 to your account without charging for the SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In the past, T-Mobile has sold unactivated SIM card kits at a steep discount which I have used to swap existing lines. I recently activated one of these SIM cards on the $3/month plan online and did not have to add any funds to begin service. The area code I activated this line on also received free service due to Harvey so my minute usage was freezed at 25 of 30 and only a few days ago did a new month begin and start counting like normal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    If you need to park the number on AT&T Prepaid, you could buy 4 $25 refill cards for $90 from an online vendor like CallingMart.com. Each $25 card covers 90 days. You'd save $10, but have to remember to add the funds every 90 days.

If you don't need to park the number on AT&T Prepaid, several other options were offered in this (and many other hofo) threads.
    Why wouldn’t you just but a $100 Card for ~ $90 and not have to worry about adding funds every 90 days?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BabaBooey17 View Post
    Why wouldn’t you just but a $100 Card for ~ $90 and not have to worry about adding funds every 90 days?
    If the $100 card is available for $90, sure. No brainer.

If not, they way I proposed works if the OP is looking to save every last dollar.

Feedback Score
    thanks to everyone who answered. I had a chat with AT&T agent and also called them. It seems that if you put your credit card on the account, and select the $2 a day plan (that you will get charged $2 a day when you receive or make calls) and keep your phone off for that year, there is no cost to you and there is no expiration date, since your credit card is on the account.

it seems the credit expiration date only gets into play when you buy a refill card.

am I correct in my assumptions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast