Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Prepaid LRA Roaming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,033
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    0

    Prepaid LRA Roaming

    Wonder if Verizon is going to crack down on prepaid users roaming most of the month in LRA areas now as well? Wonder how they'd go about cancelling lines? I really hope they wouldn't cancel customers without letting them know.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    668
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just my thoughts, no inside knowledge here. I don't believe they will cancel any plan mid month. That would be sort of an accounting nightmare for them to do en masse. Rather, I believe that if they did anything, it would just be to disallow the roaming beginning at some point in time. You'd still have your service, you just won't be able to use it inside the LRA area.

    That's all pure speculation. Do with it as you see fit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,033
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Just my thoughts, no inside knowledge here. I don't believe they will cancel any plan mid month. That would be sort of an accounting nightmare for them to do en masse. Rather, I believe that if they did anything, it would just be to disallow the roaming beginning at some point in time. You'd still have your service, you just won't be able to use it inside the LRA area.

    That's all pure speculation. Do with it as you see fit.
    How would your device know it's roaming if the LTE networks in these areas use the same MNC as native coverage for b13 LTE?

    Unless these carriers plan on changing the MNC sometime soon?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    668
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew110 View Post
    How would your device know it's roaming if the LTE networks in these areas use the same MNC as native coverage for b13 LTE?

    Unless these carriers plan on changing the MNC sometime soon?
    If they use 311480, I don't know how they could tell. Perhaps disallow certain cells/sectors. That's about all I can think of. Do the LRA partners all use 311480?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,033
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    If they use 311480, I don't know how they could tell. Perhaps disallow certain cells/sectors. That's about all I can think of. Do the LRA partners all use 311480?
    Fairly certain they do. Thumb Cellular does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    668
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew110 View Post
    Fairly certain they do. Thumb Cellular does.
    In that case, I think it would be very difficult to stop it. So it will probably just keep working.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IA, NE
    Posts
    1,296
    Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone X, iPad Pro, LG V30, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    If they use 311480, I don't know how they could tell. Perhaps disallow certain cells/sectors. That's about all I can think of. Do the LRA partners all use 311480?
    Yes they do. It’s impossible to know if your phone is using these networks unless your on CDMA. Since most phones are on VoLTE there’s no indication of roaming.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    668
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    Yes they do. It’s impossible to know if your phone is using these networks unless your on CDMA. Since most phones are on VoLTE there’s no indication of roaming.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agreed, but I think the question was less about whether *you* could tell, but can Verizon? Is there some way they could stop the LRA roaming on pre-paid. It looks like you probably can't.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,033
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's why I was wondering if the LRA carriers could change their MNC on Verizon's sprctrum so roaming is easy to distinguish.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IA, NE
    Posts
    1,296
    Device(s)
    Pixel, iPhone X, iPad Pro, LG V30, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    Agreed, but I think the question was less about whether *you* could tell, but can Verizon? Is there some way they could stop the LRA roaming on pre-paid. It looks like you probably can't.
    I'm sure a company like Verizon could figure out a way if they wanted to. I'm in the LRA area's a lot I'll be watching for any changes

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,033
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sprke81 View Post
    I'm sure a company like Verizon could figure out a way if they wanted to. I'm in the LRA area's a lot I'll be watching for any changes
    Yeah they'll figure it out. They're not gonna let prepaid subs roam, especially when prepaid has udp too. That's a big part of why prepaid is cheaper than postpaid, lack of roaming coverage.

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia 5165 w/80 min. airtime..Locus Mobile prepaid ****FREE ROAMING****!
    By vermontcellboy in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 03:51 PM
  2. prepaid US roaming anytime soon?
    By Xcalibur in forum Fido
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 10:54 PM
  3. Swiss GSM prepaid international roaming
    By Talk Halifax in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 12:31 AM
  4. Prepaid and Roaming...
    By ImportCell in forum Fido
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2002, 11:06 AM
  5. Solo Prepaid and Roaming.
    By torontonian2001 in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2001, 02:14 PM

Bookmarks