Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Stock Up Over 9% Today - Merger is Happening?

Hybrid View

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sprint Stock Up Over 9% Today - Merger is Happening?

No one from Sprint or TMobile is saying anything so you know something serious is going on.

I think the big sticking point is that Son wants a say in how the company is run even though TMobile will have control.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/t-mo...-a-merger.html

"T-Mobile and Sprint are in active talks about a merger, according to people close to the situation.

Both companies and their parents, Deutsche Telekom and Softbank, have been in frequent conversations about a stock-for-stock merger in which T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom would emerge as the majority owner.

People close to the situation stress that negotiators are still weeks away from finalizing a deal and believe the chances of reaching an agreement are not assured. The two sides have not yet set an exchange ratio for a deal, but are currently engaged in talks to hammer out a term sheet."

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Even though it may be bad long term for competition, I'm very excited to see how a merger would work. T-Mobile's leadership with their spectrum plus Sprint's spectrum? Holy crap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Even though it may be bad long term for competition, I'm very excited to see how a merger would work. T-Mobile's leadership with their spectrum plus Sprint's spectrum? Holy crap.
    It would raise prices drastically throughout the entire industry and be an unmitigated disaster for consumers.

But yes I think it would lead to some great service offerings from the merged carrier.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-20-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    The stock is actually down 4% today, and the day is not over. It was up 10% from Monday.

The deal really depends on how badly Son wants to quit losing money on Sprint. Giving SB/Son any meaningful control of strategy, tactics, or operation would be stupid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The stock is actually down 4% today, and the day is not over. It was up 10% from Monday.

The deal really depends on how badly Son wants to quit losing money on Sprint. Giving SB/Son any meaningful control of strategy, tactics, or operation would be stupid.
    I agree. Softbank was supposed to be Sprint's savior, but realistically, what has improved?

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Yeah, there has been some profit taking since the stock went up.

Son should just take his medicine and admit that he made a mistake with Sprint. After whatever time period he has to wait before selling his stock he could probably make a killing by selling it off.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The combined entity willl have all the upper/mid band spectrum they need for insane 5G network capacity coupled with T-Mobile's nationwide 600 MHz low band for ubiquitous 5G coverage.

I won't speculate on pricing. For all we know it could go up and Verizon's pricing could go down?
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 09-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    It has its advantages as Band 26 can be deployed now and, not 3-7 years like B71. In areas with B12 they can CA between the two.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hope this doesn't happen. Let Sprint fail and go through the bankruptcy as they need to. I'd rather 3 companies that can fairly get access to Sprint's spectrum they have wasted for over a decade now. Or maybe give a chance to some regionals to get more spectrum and customers and possibly expand.

Sprint has been in the red for... how long? Too long. Softbank clearly can't or won't help Sprint and I honestly think an investigation should be launched as Son didn't deliver on any promise and his ulterior motive to buy Sprint was to just merge and dump with T-Mobile, not invest and actually reinvent the company.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Softbank clearly can't or won't help Sprint and I honestly think an investigation should be launched as Son didn't deliver on any promise and his ulterior motive to buy Sprint was to just merge and dump with T-Mobile, not invest and actually reinvent the company.
    Investigate what? There's no law that says one has to invest and reinvest in a company. You buy something, you can do with it what you want. Where do you come up with something like investigate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Investigate what? There's no law that says one has to invest and reinvest in a company. You buy something, you can do with it what you want. Where do you come up with something like investigate?
    I agree with you. What promise is he talking about? Their not a America so they really can't invest in them. TMobile partner company doesn't invest much into them. Tmobile did it with att failed merger money. Sprint hasn't had that happen.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    When they bought it they claimed it was going to be equal to the second coming. Foreign companies buying domestic ones generally garner scrutiny (for good reason, but I'm sure you find no fault with foreign companies buying up ones in your own country).

So, now that Son's lies about trying to make a great company were really just let it stagnate and try to merge it with something more successful and get away with doing no hard work to turn a company around warrants some explaining in my mind. It's not like they've tried and tried and still unable to turn the company around. He and Softbank have done the BARE minimum to even attempt to keep the doors open. They have fallen to the smallest network in coverage and subs. They continue to be up to their ears in debt. They've done other mergers (Radioshack) that netted more issues. They've laid off scores of people. And it's exactly for a lack of trying.

To me, when a foreign company makes a lot of false promises and their underlying intention was always different from the stated one, they should be looked at a bit more. Not given the pass 'DO WHATEVS THEY WANT THIS MURICA'. Softbank and Son aren't American - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    I agree with you. What promise is he talking about? Their not a America so they really can't invest in them. TMobile partner company doesn't invest much into them. Tmobile did it with att failed merger money. Sprint hasn't had that happen.

I'm talking about what Son and Softbank told our government when they bought Sprint. You don't think there's questions when another country comes in to buy one of our companies? Especially one that's essentially a utility and very important to the country?

You and Jet1000 act as if this is some small company selling Popsicle sticks. I can start a business like that myself. I can't exactly start a nationwide wireless network. It's critical to the infrastructure and operation of our country. Is this lost on folks?

And Tmobile was a profitable company unlike Sprint. So, not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    To me, when a foreign company makes a lot of false promises and their underlying intention was always different from the stated one, they should be looked at a bit more. Not given the pass 'DO WHATEVS THEY WANT THIS MURICA'. Softbank and Son aren't American - sorry.
    To you, perhaps. But America is a country based on laws. And there are no laws about holding anyone that runs a company accountable for what you consider to be "false promises". Fortunately the goverment generally stays out of such things and lets businesses run themselves.

I'm talking about what Son and Softbank told our government when they bought Sprint. You don't think there's questions when another country comes in to buy one of our companies? Especially one that's essentially a utility and very important to the country?
    Now you're saying it's important. Previously you were saying that it should be allowed to go bankrupt and picked apart for pieces. Well if you believe that it should be allowed to be picked apart, it can't be that important. Face it, it's not really that crucial to the infrastructure of our country as you claim.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I didn't like it at first but I'm more open to it now especially with the rumor that dt would have majority stake

If it were sb buying tmo us I'd run like a world class track star in the opposite direction

At this point I'm sure sprint is pretty desperate for a deal so a decent deal should be in the works for tmo

Feedback Score
    Sprint is in the process of finishing up the merger of nTelos Wireless, which was bought out by Shentel Cable last year and then the wireless customers were merged to Sprint. I'm a former nTelos customer and I waited until the last month do make the transition. The service I had with nTelos was an UNLIMITED 3G connection that only cost me $40 a month plus taxes, etc and it was "grandfathered" in when I switched to Sprint the first of this month. Wonder if that's going to "grandfather" into the Tmobile merger if that happens?

Not at all impressed with the device (Franklin R850 Hotspot) that Sprint made me take as my home is wired GIGABIT and I used a U727 USB data card with a Cradlepoint router to feed the 3 desktop PCs on my LAN. They have a Franklin 772 advertised on the Sprint website and I offered to purchase one of those but nooooooo, I would have had to give up my "Unlimited Data" account to get one of those?? So here I sit with a Windows box running with the R850 wireless connection acting as WAN and using ICS in the Windows box to feed my Cradlepoint for my LAN because this JUNK R850 will NOT tether to my Router??? And as a matter of fact, it WILL NOT TETHER to a computer either, it's a hot spot only and it sucks!

Ennywho, what I'd like to know is how to enable the firewall in that R850, which is disabled by default. It's got a couple of settings that I'm not familiar with and I'd like to find out what needs to be done before I go messing with it. If this isn't the place to ask this the please point me to the correct location.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast