Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Stock Up Over 9% Today - Merger is Happening?

Feedback Score
    Is that high band sprint spectrum really desirable? for example say they merge with Dish instead... tmobile could double their midband and add 22mhz more to their low band (vs just 14 with sprint).

I'm just not sure about being saddled with tens of billions in debt via sprint would be worth it. sprint coverage is almost the same as tmobile, and if they would have to divest some of their spectrum, then add the cost of converting all those sprint towers and replacing people's phones.. seems like it would be a lot more cost effective to go after dish (unless tmobile was mostly interested in gaining sprint's customer base).

I also think if sprint and tmobile merge it might force verizon's hand and they go after Dish. Then again it seems that nobody likes dealing with Charlie...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Softbank clearly can't or won't help Sprint and I honestly think an investigation should be launched as Son didn't deliver on any promise and his ulterior motive to buy Sprint was to just merge and dump with T-Mobile, not invest and actually reinvent the company.
    Investigate what? There's no law that says one has to invest and reinvest in a company. You buy something, you can do with it what you want. Where do you come up with something like investigate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Investigate what? There's no law that says one has to invest and reinvest in a company. You buy something, you can do with it what you want. Where do you come up with something like investigate?
    I agree with you. What promise is he talking about? Their not a America so they really can't invest in them. TMobile partner company doesn't invest much into them. Tmobile did it with att failed merger money. Sprint hasn't had that happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Is that high band sprint spectrum really desirable?
    With the outlook for data demand? Absolutely. The fastest networks in the world leverage the same high band spectrum. Look at Softbank and many other Asian Telcos.

for example say they merge with Dish instead... tmobile could double their midband and add 22mhz more to their low band
    Dish's lowband spectrum isn't as desirable as what Sprint has. 6 MHz of it is 700 MHz E block... Band 29 if you're unfamiliar. The only company that has even mild interest in this spectrum is AT&T, as they have already started Band 29 rollout and have many Band 29 devices... all high end devices from the LG G3 onward.

The rest of it is 600 MHz, which in most of the country (geographically), T-Mobile has 20x20 MHz worth. In the LTE standard, you can't go any wider than 20x20 MHz.

(vs just 14 with sprint).
    Band 26 already has equipment up and running and is immediately deployable on their network... any iPhone 6 or newer can take advantage. Sprint's 5S/5C as well.

I'm just not sure about being saddled with tens of billions in debt via sprint would be worth it.
    I agree with this.

sprint coverage is almost the same as tmobile,
    It's far behind and anyone claiming otherwise is delusional.

and if they would have to divest some of their spectrum,
    No evidence that this would need to happen... and given the current administration and their anti consumer policies, don't expect it to... that would be "anti business"...

then add the cost of converting all those sprint towers and replacing people's phones..
    All of the iPhones on each network could easily leverage eachother's LTE networks day one. Any Samsung S7 or newer could get support for each other's networks in a simple software update modifying modem properties. They all use the same hardware.

seems like it would be a lot more cost effective to go after dish (unless tmobile was mostly interested in gaining sprint's customer base).

I also think if sprint and tmobile merge it might force verizon's hand and they go after Dish. Then again it seems that nobody likes dealing with Charlie...
    Nobody does like dealing with Charlie is right LOL. He won't have that spectrum pried from his cold, dead hands.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When they bought it they claimed it was going to be equal to the second coming. Foreign companies buying domestic ones generally garner scrutiny (for good reason, but I'm sure you find no fault with foreign companies buying up ones in your own country).

So, now that Son's lies about trying to make a great company were really just let it stagnate and try to merge it with something more successful and get away with doing no hard work to turn a company around warrants some explaining in my mind. It's not like they've tried and tried and still unable to turn the company around. He and Softbank have done the BARE minimum to even attempt to keep the doors open. They have fallen to the smallest network in coverage and subs. They continue to be up to their ears in debt. They've done other mergers (Radioshack) that netted more issues. They've laid off scores of people. And it's exactly for a lack of trying.

To me, when a foreign company makes a lot of false promises and their underlying intention was always different from the stated one, they should be looked at a bit more. Not given the pass 'DO WHATEVS THEY WANT THIS MURICA'. Softbank and Son aren't American - sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    I agree with you. What promise is he talking about? Their not a America so they really can't invest in them. TMobile partner company doesn't invest much into them. Tmobile did it with att failed merger money. Sprint hasn't had that happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'm talking about what Son and Softbank told our government when they bought Sprint. You don't think there's questions when another country comes in to buy one of our companies? Especially one that's essentially a utility and very important to the country?

You and Jet1000 act as if this is some small company selling Popsicle sticks. I can start a business like that myself. I can't exactly start a nationwide wireless network. It's critical to the infrastructure and operation of our country. Is this lost on folks?

And Tmobile was a profitable company unlike Sprint. So, not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/329928...aee#email_link

In the are-they-or-aren't-they talks of a merger between Sprint (S -0.9%) and T-Mobile (TMUS +0.3%), discussions are continuing but some T-Mobile shareholders are frustrated with the price discussed, CNBC's David Faber says.

The two companies (and Sprint parent SoftBank (SFBTY +0.6%) and TMUS parent Deutsche Telekom) have been talking about a stock-for-stock deal where Deutsche Telekom (DTEGY -0.7%) comes out as the controlling owner.

But talks are locked on an at-market price now that gives no further premium for Sprint, CNBC reports.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Is that high band sprint spectrum really desirable? for example say they merge with Dish instead... tmobile could double their midband and add 22mhz more to their low band (vs just 14 with sprint).

I'm just not sure about being saddled with tens of billions in debt via sprint would be worth it. sprint coverage is almost the same as tmobile, and if they would have to divest some of their spectrum, then add the cost of converting all those sprint towers and replacing people's phones.. seems like it would be a lot more cost effective to go after dish (unless tmobile was mostly interested in gaining sprint's customer base).

All of the frequency ranges are desirable for different purposes. T-Mo bought nationwide 600 MHz which is even better at covering wide rural ranges than Sprint's 800 MHz. The higher frequencies are good for adding capacity in more urban areas.

I'm betting that Verizon and AT&T will successfully convince the govt. that T-Sprint divest of some of the combined spectrum. That doesn't mean that T-Sprint would have to give it away. I assume that they could sell it. That could be part of the master plan to cope with Sprint's debt load.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    To me, when a foreign company makes a lot of false promises and their underlying intention was always different from the stated one, they should be looked at a bit more. Not given the pass 'DO WHATEVS THEY WANT THIS MURICA'. Softbank and Son aren't American - sorry.
    To you, perhaps. But America is a country based on laws. And there are no laws about holding anyone that runs a company accountable for what you consider to be "false promises". Fortunately the goverment generally stays out of such things and lets businesses run themselves.

I'm talking about what Son and Softbank told our government when they bought Sprint. You don't think there's questions when another country comes in to buy one of our companies? Especially one that's essentially a utility and very important to the country?
    Now you're saying it's important. Previously you were saying that it should be allowed to go bankrupt and picked apart for pieces. Well if you believe that it should be allowed to be picked apart, it can't be that important. Face it, it's not really that crucial to the infrastructure of our country as you claim.

Feedback Score
    Sprint and T-Mobile Are Ironing Out Final Deal Details

Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc. are putting the finishing touches on a merger that’s likely to be announced when the wireless carriers report quarterly earnings at the end of October, according to people familiar with the matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...l-deal-details

Feedback Score
    To you, perhaps. But America is a country based on laws. And there are no laws about holding anyone that runs a company accountable for what you consider to be "false promises". Fortunately the goverment generally stays out of such things and lets businesses run themselves.
    Extremely well stated.

Feedback Score

Sprint Stock Up Over 9% Today - Merger is Happening?

How would the President influence the merger? I figured since Son met with him the climate would be favorable. Now I understand Mr. Trump is concerned about foreign controlled corporations merging and taking American jobs.
    Media reports also seem a bit more skeptical of the merger.
    But things change so we will see.
    I really want this merger to go through so T-Mobile and Sprint can become formidable competitor and get some solid coverage in rural areas and in buildings.
    I am not sure what T-mobile and Sprint will do once they run out of cash?
    T-mobile won’t run out of cash as soon but I don’t know if they have a solid long term footing.
    Can they get more Billions from SoftBank and Deutsche Telekom? Can they come up with a growth strategy?
    Last edited by techfranz; 10-11-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    From what some are saying this deal doesn't really have any more chance of approval than it did a few years ago or even 6 years ago with att, maybe slightly but they are calling it an uphill battle.

Anything is possible but it won't be a walk in the park getting it passed.

Last edited by themanhimself; 10-12-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    From what some are saying this deal doesn't really have any more chance of approval than it did a few years ago
    Here's the main difference:

"As influential as the career staff is, the final decision will lie with Trump’s antitrust enforcer at the Justice Department, Makan Delrahim, and the Federal Communications Commission. "

The Justice Department under Obama told Sprint not to waste their time. However, they may now feel that Delrahim will let this go. I doubt they would be in final negotiations if they had gotten word of staunch opposition.

Feedback Score
    Great point. Consumer protections aren’t at the top of this administration’s priorities. Despite what career officials think, Delrahim will likely approve a merger. They’d probably approve a merger if it was AT&T and Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I think an ideal merger deal for the Carriers and Consumer alike would be for the new entity to be required to any of the following:
    1.) Build out their Network to Rural Areas.
    2.) Remain affordable in Price.
    3.) Buy a percentage of Goods American etc....
    4.) Cover an additional percentage of the population.
    5.) Achieve a certain average wireless upload/download speed.

My choice would be concession number 1 because that is where Sprint & T-mobile need to most investments.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast