Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Stock Up Over 9% Today - Merger is Happening?

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5 - Nexus 7 2013 tablet
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sprint Stock Up Over 9% Today - Merger is Happening?

No one from Sprint or TMobile is saying anything so you know something serious is going on.

I think the big sticking point is that Son wants a say in how the company is run even though TMobile will have control.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/t-mo...-a-merger.html

"T-Mobile and Sprint are in active talks about a merger, according to people close to the situation.

Both companies and their parents, Deutsche Telekom and Softbank, have been in frequent conversations about a stock-for-stock merger in which T-Mobile parent Deutsche Telekom would emerge as the majority owner.

People close to the situation stress that negotiators are still weeks away from finalizing a deal and believe the chances of reaching an agreement are not assured. The two sides have not yet set an exchange ratio for a deal, but are currently engaged in talks to hammer out a term sheet."

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Even though it may be bad long term for competition, I'm very excited to see how a merger would work. T-Mobile's leadership with their spectrum plus Sprint's spectrum? Holy crap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Even though it may be bad long term for competition, I'm very excited to see how a merger would work. T-Mobile's leadership with their spectrum plus Sprint's spectrum? Holy crap.
    It would raise prices drastically throughout the entire industry and be an unmitigated disaster for consumers.

But yes I think it would lead to some great service offerings from the merged carrier.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-20-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    The stock is actually down 4% today, and the day is not over. It was up 10% from Monday.

The deal really depends on how badly Son wants to quit losing money on Sprint. Giving SB/Son any meaningful control of strategy, tactics, or operation would be stupid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The stock is actually down 4% today, and the day is not over. It was up 10% from Monday.

The deal really depends on how badly Son wants to quit losing money on Sprint. Giving SB/Son any meaningful control of strategy, tactics, or operation would be stupid.
    I agree. Softbank was supposed to be Sprint's savior, but realistically, what has improved?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hope this doesn't happen. Let Sprint fail and go through the bankruptcy as they need to. I'd rather 3 companies that can fairly get access to Sprint's spectrum they have wasted for over a decade now. Or maybe give a chance to some regionals to get more spectrum and customers and possibly expand.

Sprint has been in the red for... how long? Too long. Softbank clearly can't or won't help Sprint and I honestly think an investigation should be launched as Son didn't deliver on any promise and his ulterior motive to buy Sprint was to just merge and dump with T-Mobile, not invest and actually reinvent the company.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The combined entity willl have all the upper/mid band spectrum they need for insane 5G network capacity coupled with T-Mobile's nationwide 600 MHz low band for ubiquitous 5G coverage.

I won't speculate on pricing. For all we know it could go up and Verizon's pricing could go down?
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 09-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I didn't like it at first but I'm more open to it now especially with the rumor that dt would have majority stake

If it were sb buying tmo us I'd run like a world class track star in the opposite direction

At this point I'm sure sprint is pretty desperate for a deal so a decent deal should be in the works for tmo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Yeah, there has been some profit taking since the stock went up.

Son should just take his medicine and admit that he made a mistake with Sprint. After whatever time period he has to wait before selling his stock he could probably make a killing by selling it off.

Feedback Score
    Sprint is in the process of finishing up the merger of nTelos Wireless, which was bought out by Shentel Cable last year and then the wireless customers were merged to Sprint. I'm a former nTelos customer and I waited until the last month do make the transition. The service I had with nTelos was an UNLIMITED 3G connection that only cost me $40 a month plus taxes, etc and it was "grandfathered" in when I switched to Sprint the first of this month. Wonder if that's going to "grandfather" into the Tmobile merger if that happens?

Not at all impressed with the device (Franklin R850 Hotspot) that Sprint made me take as my home is wired GIGABIT and I used a U727 USB data card with a Cradlepoint router to feed the 3 desktop PCs on my LAN. They have a Franklin 772 advertised on the Sprint website and I offered to purchase one of those but nooooooo, I would have had to give up my "Unlimited Data" account to get one of those?? So here I sit with a Windows box running with the R850 wireless connection acting as WAN and using ICS in the Windows box to feed my Cradlepoint for my LAN because this JUNK R850 will NOT tether to my Router??? And as a matter of fact, it WILL NOT TETHER to a computer either, it's a hot spot only and it sucks!

Ennywho, what I'd like to know is how to enable the firewall in that R850, which is disabled by default. It's got a couple of settings that I'm not familiar with and I'd like to find out what needs to be done before I go messing with it. If this isn't the place to ask this the please point me to the correct location.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0069 View Post
    Sprint is in the process of finishing up the merger of nTelos Wireless, which was bought out by Shentel Cable last year and then the wireless customers were merged to Sprint. I'm a former nTelos customer and I waited until the last month do make the transition. The service I had with nTelos was an UNLIMITED 3G connection that only cost me $40 a month plus taxes, etc and it was "grandfathered" in when I switched to Sprint the first of this month. Wonder if that's going to "grandfather" into the Tmobile merger if that happens?

Not at all impressed with the device (Franklin R850 Hotspot) that Sprint made me take as my home is wired GIGABIT and I used a U727 USB data card with a Cradlepoint router to feed the 3 desktop PCs on my LAN. They have a Franklin 772 advertised on the Sprint website and I offered to purchase one of those but nooooooo, I would have had to give up my "Unlimited Data" account to get one of those?? So here I sit with a Windows box running with the R850 wireless connection acting as WAN and using ICS in the Windows box to feed my Cradlepoint for my LAN because this JUNK R850 will NOT tether to my Router??? And as a matter of fact, it WILL NOT TETHER to a computer either, it's a hot spot only and it sucks!

Ennywho, what I'd like to know is how to enable the firewall in that R850, which is disabled by default. It's got a couple of settings that I'm not familiar with and I'd like to find out what needs to be done before I go messing with it. If this isn't the place to ask this the please point me to the correct location.

Thanks
    There are very knowledgeable people on Sprint hotspot issues here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ot-LTE-service

I would ask there.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure exactly what to think of the merger situation -- except that I think it is inevitable -- mainly because the Softbank investment was a flop. I remember from the get-go that all of us were excited that Softbank would come in and shake up the industry, giving us the magical amazing service that they supposedly have in Japan -- yet it never happened... In the meantime, T-Mobile came in, shook up everything, and are reaping the rewards. The one thing about Sprint that I've seen in my 17 years of being their customer is that they are always very reserved about everything they do -- and Americans love to root for the underdog/buy in attitude -- which is exactly what T-Mobile tapped into, and it has paid off very well. The *only* 'renegade' move I saw Sprint pull was original SERO -- and they pulled that back real quick when it got too popular.

Had Softbank came in and shook up Sprint the way they originally promised -- blasted money into making it better, doing similar "un-carrier" moves such as T-Mobile etc, I think they would be in a different position. That said, I think Matayoshi Son bought Sprint with the intention to merge with T-Mobile -- and he's now going to get what he wanted all along, although not on as good of terms as he had hoped -- but he still is going to be a fairly large minority owner of a very large wireless company in the US.

Looking at it, I'd rather it go down the way it is. T-Mobile has shown that they know how to market, and they know how to act quickly, stay on top of trends, and deploy a decent network as well as merge networks quickly -- all things Sprint has failed at repeatedly. Combining Sprint's spectrum into this will give them a hell of a deep network to deploy something cool with -- and it should keep AT&T and Verizon on their feet.

As for competition? Well, no one stepped up, and Sprint was too deep in the hole. I wonder how much money it would take to get them out of their debt AND finally fix the network (as in deploying all 3 Sprint spectrum bands to a level that truly is somewhere between AT&T and T-Mobile)? 30 billion? 40? 50? 60? Whatever the number, no one seems to want to pony it up -- and T-Mobile is doing this as a stock deal anyway -- and they will save money combining networks.

I think there is room for a 4th network -- but it will look a lot like Wind/Freedom Mobile in Canada... and will end up with 10 or so million subscribers tops, will be built on AWS-3 or 4 spectrum, and will look very similar to Sprint and Voicestream coverage circa 1998. People who don't want to buy into the Big 3 or need the coverage outside of the metro areas will buy it, and will pay reasonable rates of 30-40 for a single line for unlimited everything.... the question I have is whether it is cheaper to build something like this from scratch -- or buy Sprint and pay off it's debt and fix the network. I wonder if the companies will have to forfeit a certain amount of spectrum to the FCC to make this happen? Or does this administration even care? If DISH is truly starting a network from scratch, I think this would be their way in -- be the 4th carrier that fills the niche that Sprint and T-Mobile used to fill of "it's doesn't have great coverage, but it's cheap -- and if you live in an urban area, you don't need that coverage anyway".

N

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Deal Expected by November

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1BX1EK

T-Mobile, Sprint close to agreeing deal terms - sources
    Greg Roumeliotis, Arno Schuetze

(Reuters) - T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.O) is close to agreeing tentative terms on a deal to merge with peer Sprint Corp (S.N), people familiar with the matter said on Friday, a major breakthrough in efforts to merge the third and fourth largest U.S. wireless carriers.

The development follows more than four months of on-and-off talks this year between T-Mobile and Sprint, and comes as the U.S. telecommunications sector seeks ways to tackle investments in 5G technology that will greatly enhance wireless data transfer speeds.

Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp (9984.T), which controls Sprint, will own 40 to 50 percent of the combined company, while T-Mobile majority owner Deutsche Telekom (DTEGn.DE) will own a majority stake, two of the sources said.

Once terms are finalized, due diligence by the two companies will follow and a deal is expected by the end of October, though talks may still fall through, the sources said.

The deal would also face regulatory scrutiny over concerns that the U.S. wireless market is becoming too concentrated.

A successful merger would create a business with more than 130 million subscribers, just behind Verizon Communications Inc (VZ.N) and AT&T Inc (T.N). Revenues would top $70 billion and, say analysts, there would be massive scope to cut costs.

Sprint shares jumped 5 percent in premarket trading in New York, while T-Mobile rose 1 percent.

The sources asked not to be identified because the negotiations are confidential. Sprint and Deutsche Telekom declined to comment. T-Mobile and SoftBank did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

T-Mobile has a market capitalization of $52 billion, while Sprint has market capitalization of $32 billion.

SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son abandoned an earlier attempt to acquire T-Mobile for Sprint in 2014 amid opposition from anti-trust regulators concerned that consumers could lose out.

That deal would have put SoftBank in control of the merged company, with Deutsche Telekom becoming a minority shareholder.

Since then, T-Mobile has outperformed Sprint under Chief Executive John Legere, who the sources said would lead the combined company.

Last month, Sprint’s Chief Executive Marcelo Claure said an announcement on merger talks should come in the “near future.”

Earlier this year, Sprint approached cable company Charter Communications Inc (CHTR.O) about a potential merger, but it quickly abandoned that effort.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0069 View Post

Thanks
    Franklin r850 hack

Feedback Score
    It has its advantages as Band 26 can be deployed now and, not 3-7 years like B71. In areas with B12 they can CA between the two.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast