Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T vs Verizon: better building penetration (Dallas)

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I was thinking of going sim-free in case I was disappointed with AT&T. I could then jump to Verizon with no issues.
    Keeping all of your options open is never a bad idea.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies so far! Anyone know when the 600mhz band will be able for use in Dallas?
    Looks like sometime in 2019

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Looks like sometime in 2019
    Thanks! I could always give T-Mobile a try again then.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I could always give T-Mobile a try again then.
    Given their recent pricing changes if that trend continues might not be any advantage that far out. Might be called TSprintMobile by then also
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    In Dallas, you would generally give the nod to ATT. However, it all depends upon the building. Some businesses have alliances and contracts with certain carriers and they would have small cells on the floors to provide great service. My company did that so the other carriers' signals were hit or miss. You probably should ask if it is a work site but in general, it would be ATT as Dallas is HQ.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
    In Dallas, you would generally give the nod to ATT. However, it all depends upon the building. Some businesses have alliances and contracts with certain carriers and they would have small cells on the floors to provide great service. My company did that so the other carriers' signals were hit or miss. You probably should ask if it is a work site but in general, it would be ATT as Dallas is HQ.
    Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    When I had AT&T last year I had AT&T and service worked excellent at the airport (DFW) and throughout the city. Not sure about the suburbs though?

Although I bleed Magenta if the service sucks that bad in your area I'd go with team blue as my second choice.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    When I had AT&T last year I had AT&T and service worked excellent at the airport (DFW) and throughout the city. Not sure about the suburbs though?

Although I bleed Magenta if the service sucks that bad in your area I'd go with team blue as my second choice.
    I wouldn't say it's that bad. It's great outdoors and in the car if I need to talk. However, stores like Walmart, Target, restaurants, schools, hotels, are all pretty horrid (call-wise and no internet connection). Even at my house people say it sounds like I cut in and out a lot. I never had these issues when I had AT&T. Just hoping they haven't gone downhill in the past few months.

Again don't know if it's the network or the Intel in my 7plus.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't say it's that bad. It's great outdoors and in the car if I need to talk. However, stores like Walmart, Target, restaurants, schools, hotels, are all pretty horrid (call-wise and no internet connection). Even at my house people say it sounds like I cut in and out a lot. I never had these issues when I had AT&T. Just hoping they haven't gone downhill in the past few months.

Again don't know if it's the network or the Intel in my 7plus.
    That's the same reason I left Verizon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    That's the same reason I left Verizon.

Really? I thought people swear up and down they are the best. Who do you have now? Where do you live? Phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Really? I thought people swear up and down they are the best. Who do you have now? Where do you live? Phone?
    Well they were excellent on coverage. I'm in western Va and all the CDMA carriers dominate the area but they all have gaps or issues of some type.

Verizon wouldn't make calls inside building, cost too much and was getting less reliable. Plus side here was top notch rural coverage. Iphone and notes on this account.

Sprint was actually pretty decent coverage wise but when I wanted to upgrade to unlimited it ended up being the same price as AT&T and Verizon. They did have a lot of tower issues and dropped calls. Data was okay. My first week with Sprint a tower went down and we lost signal for a week or so. Also I would wake up some mornings only to find my phone had no signal even though it showed it did. Missed a bunch of calls and text like that. My phone with them was note 5, wife had iPhone 6s

AT&T so far has kicked butt. Although coverage is lacking, the locations that do have coverage is very dense it seems. I've only seen a few areas have HSPA+. No dropped calls no speed issues on LTE and I never drop connection. Prices are a bit high but we have unlimited data, even though I don't use that much, we have some friends on the account that blow through 25-30GB a month. My phones with them were all iPhone7 pluses and now I have my note 8.

The last nail in the coffin with Sprint was no service at all in a premium outdoor shopping center in Williamsburg Va.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie28 View Post
    Well they were excellent on coverage. I'm in western Va and all the CDMA carriers dominate the area but they all have gaps or issues of some type.

Verizon wouldn't make calls inside building, cost too much and was getting less reliable. Plus side here was top notch rural coverage. Iphone and notes on this account.

Sprint was actually pretty decent coverage wise but when I wanted to upgrade to unlimited it ended up being the same price as AT&T and Verizon. They did have a lot of tower issues and dropped calls. Data was okay. My first week with Sprint a tower went down and we lost signal for a week or so. Also I would wake up some mornings only to find my phone had no signal even though it showed it did. Missed a bunch of calls and text like that. My phone with them was note 5, wife had iPhone 6s

AT&T so far has kicked butt. Although coverage is lacking, the locations that do have coverage is very dense it seems. I've only seen a few areas have HSPA+. No dropped calls no speed issues on LTE and I never drop connection. Prices are a bit high but we have unlimited data, even though I don't use that much, we have some friends on the account that blow through 25-30GB a month. My phones with them were all iPhone7 pluses and now I have my note 8.

The last nail in the coffin with Sprint was no service at all in a premium outdoor shopping center in Williamsburg Va.

Good to hear the 7 plus did well for you on AT&T! Thanks so much for the detailed info. Glad you found a carrier that works. Looking forward to switching.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ 64GB (At&t), Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - 3 lines (2000-present) Verizon (2011-2014,2016-present(work phone))
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is much better in DFW. Lived there for 4 years and never really had issues. Roommate had Verizon and had frequent issues when using his iPhone indoors, especailly in Denton, but lots of other places around Dallas also.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S6, iPad Mini 3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T had better do well in Dallas, since their HQ is located there (tall white building right downtown - called the "Ivory Tower" by employees) and most of their top executives work there and live in the area. Network engineers would hear complaints daily if the executives had poor coverage, dropped calls, and low throughput issues.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is hands down the best in Texas. Coverage is better than Verizon in DFW, but speeds still lack (not by much). Hope this helps! I visit DFW frequently with all 3 major carriers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast