Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible Puerto Rico deployment coverage questions

Device(s)
    S7
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Possible Puerto Rico deployment coverage questions

I may travel to Puerto Rico in the next couple days.
    Assuming the hurricane doesn't knock down all the towers....

Will my ATT S7 work as normal without roaming?
    Will my Mobley unlimited plan work?

Ill have an Iridium phone and Garmin Inreach just in case.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes. AT&T has native coverage in PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ 64GB (At&t), Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - 3 lines (2000-present) Verizon (2011-2014,2016-present(work phone))
    Feedback Score
    As long as the network is functional, you will have native At&t coverage and can use the phone exactly as you do at home.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, the governor just said "evacuate, or die" and it's the most powerful hurricane to hit PR in 90 years, I would SERIOUSLY rethink my plans if at all possible. I can't imagine any planes or ships even being allowed in during that, or any that would be stupid enough to try.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...slands-n802671

"Authorities warned Puerto Ricans to evacuate or die as Hurricane Maria, the most powerful storm to threaten the region in almost 90 years, barreled toward the U.S. territory. Maria, a Category 5 storm — the strongest there is — killed one person and injured two other people as it roared through the island of Guadeloupe on Monday night. At 2 a.m. ET Wednesday, its maximum sustained winds were at 165 mph as it churned about 20 miles from St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands and 85 miles from San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was expected to pass very near the Virgin Islands on its way straight toward Puerto Rico at about 10 mph, on track for arrival by Wednesday morning or midday, before skirting just north of the Dominican Republic on Wednesday night and Thursday, the National Hurricane Center said. "Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks or months," the hurricane center warned. Maria should weaken as it crosses Puerto Rico, but it's expected to remain a Category 4 storm as late as Friday night, forecasters said. As far as destruction is concerned, the distinction is immaterial, said Orelon Sidney, a meteorologist for The Weather Channel, who said, "Whatever a 5 can do, a 4 can do."

""Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks or months," the hurricane center warned."

https://www.google.com/search?q=Do+not+travel+to+pr+hurricane+maria&oq=Do +not+travel+to+pr+hurricane+maria&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i160k1l2.5869.9946.0.10132.18.17.1.0.0.0.1 09.1577.13j4.17.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.16.1476...33i22i29i30k1j33i21k1.0.Kc1IvonScp s

Yeah, so, I'd stay away.

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmseattle View Post
    I may travel to Puerto Rico in the next couple days.
    Assuming the hurricane doesn't knock down all the towers....

Will my ATT S7 work as normal without roaming?
    Will my Mobley unlimited plan work?

Ill have an Iridium phone and Garmin Inreach just in case.
    Are you a storm chaser ?

Feedback Score
    Just heard on the boob-tube that the governor said that most of the entire island would be without electrical power for months.

I wonder if AT&T has generators for their cells and can they get fuel to them.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Just heard on the boob-tube that the governor said that most of the entire island would be without electrical power for months.

The entire island is now without power, all 3.5 million residents. This is a catastrophe for Puerto Rico, imagine your entire nation going down at the same time, horrible.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In addition to the nationwide power outage, it is speculated that parts of the island may be without power for more than a month. Combination of old infrastructure, desperate economic circumstances, and lack of resources to rebuild the failed infrastructure. Not a pretty circumstance for anybody.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    The entire island is now without power, all 3.5 million residents. This is a catastrophe for Puerto Rico, imagine your entire nation going down at the same time, horrible.
    Tropical climate, no air conditioning or even an electric fan, no refrigeration for food, no safe water or functioning sewers, and their income from tourism will drop to zero. It sounds like it will be unimaginably horrible.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Doubtful having generators at sites would be relevant when the entire island is without power and most infrastructure is down. Wouldn't surprise me either if people stole generators, I heard it happened a lot in the mainland US during some of the recent hurricanes.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Doubtful having generators at sites would be relevant when the entire island is without power and most infrastructure is down. Wouldn't surprise me either if people stole generators, I heard it happened a lot in the mainland US during some of the recent hurricanes.
    Not if they're permanently installed. The bigger question is: is there any backhaul there to connect to, or will they have to deploy satellite trucks to backhaul with very limited bandwidth available? Do they have their own fiber and switching centers with generators? Are the towers even still standing? We saw a lot of towers that were woefully neglected/inadequate for that part of the world in Florida that were blown over.

Maybe they can get stuff to PR as the permanent towers are brought back online in FL, and the COWs and COLTs are available.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Not if they're permanently installed. The bigger question is: is there any backhaul there to connect to, or will they have to deploy satellite trucks to backhaul with very limited bandwidth available? Do they have their own fiber and switching centers with generators? Are the towers even still standing? We saw a lot of towers that were woefully neglected/inadequate for that part of the world in Florida that were blown over.

Maybe they can get stuff to PR as the permanent towers are brought back online in FL, and the COWs and COLTs are available.
    I just the the article posted by the FCC saying 95% of cell sites are down. About 70 or so on the island are up. I went on Snapchat and people are posting snaps from San Juan so there is some internet access at least.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Having many Puerto Rican friends in Orlando with family back in PR. I can pretty much co firm the only carrier working consistently is ATT. The other carriers are down or spotty

Sent from my LG-H820 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    I just the the article posted by the FCC saying 95% of cell sites are down. About 70 or so on the island are up. I went on Snapchat and people are posting snaps from San Juan so there is some internet access at least.

They will all rebuild in due time. Puerto Rico is small compared to Florida where rebuilding is still in process as well as Texas.

Puerto Rico has a few mobile providers but AT&T is the largest.

I believe Verizon roams on Open Mobile in Puerto Rico. Claro also serves the Island as well as T-Mobile and Sprint.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    They will all rebuild in due time. Puerto Rico is small compared to Florida where rebuilding is still in process as well as Texas.

Puerto Rico has a few mobile providers but AT&T is the largest.
    The big difference is that everything has to be shipped or flown there instead of trucked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast