Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So what actually happens when you unlock a (Verizon) Tracfone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    But right now you already can take your SIM from your Rebel and use it in your unlocked Moto G5 without risk. Technically, TF wants you to transfer service from your Rebel to a CDMA BYOP SIM and use it in your G5.
    So, it turns out that the Rebel has a full-sized SIM, and the G5 wants a nano; and rather than try to cut it down, I'd prefer to do the transfer. But, will that work? I have a TF 3-in-1 kit, but the Verizon card says "Compatible with a used Verizon LTE phone", and my G5 has never been on VZ before.

Also, is there an issue with transferring service from a VZ Tracfone to, say, an AT&T TF SIM? I thought I'd read something about problems with that.

Feedback Score
    The "warning" on the Verizon card has to do with actual Verizon phones that have to fulfill their obligation to actual Verizon before they can be used elsewhere.

You can transfer from a Tracfone Verizon SIM to a Tracfone AT&T SIM. It's just that Verizon has a reputation for being a pain about giving up the account. Customer Service may have to get involved.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
    So, it turns out that the Rebel has a full-sized SIM, and the G5 wants a nano; and rather than try to cut it down, I'd prefer to do the transfer. But, will that work? I have a TF 3-in-1 kit, but the Verizon card says "Compatible with a used Verizon LTE phone", and my G5 has never been on VZ before.

Also, is there an issue with transferring service from a VZ Tracfone to, say, an AT&T TF SIM? I thought I'd read something about problems with that.
    Better off performing a transfer to its own SIM to use in the G5 anyway. Frees up the Rebel for future activation and the current SIM is still good.

I recommend going to Chat and having them document your current units and days of service and then just have them perform the transfer. Don't leave the chat until you have a working phone and all the units and days show on your account. I recommend this especially when you are transferring bundles, but in your case it does not appear you are, so..... to note: I have had very good experiences in my last couple of simple transfers between BYOP SIMS just using the on line tool to perform the transfer, but I am still hesitant to recommend to others not documenting your current units and days before doing so.

I have had no issues transferring from VZ to VZ or VZ to ATT or ATT to VZ and so on.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Feedback Score
    Check your G5 IMEI on the TracFone BYOP checker for Verizon activation - I'm guessing it's not whitelisted, so you cannot use its IMEI for activating a CDMA SIM on TracFone.

If you have AT&T TracFone service in your area, transfer to a BYOP AT&T nano SIM - it could take 30 minutes to 48 hours to complete. Use TracFone chat as previously suggested.

Nano SIMs are specd 15% thinner than the other larger SIMs, so cutting down the SIM introduces risks of ruining your phone with a jammed SIM - you would be wise to avoid that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Check your G5 IMEI on the TracFone BYOP checker for Verizon activation - I'm guessing it's not whitelisted, so you cannot use its IMEI for activating a CDMA SIM on TracFone.

If you have AT&T TracFone service in your area, transfer to a BYOP AT&T nano SIM - it could take 30 minutes to 48 hours to complete. Use TracFone chat as previously suggested.

Nano SIMs are specd 15% thicker than the other larger SIMs, so cutting down the SIM introduces risks of ruining your phone with a jammed SIM - you would be wise to avoid that risk.
    Do you mean "thinner"?

Feedback Score
    Thanks - yes, meant nano SIMs are 15% thinner. Will correct this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Do you mean "thinner"?

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    The Moto G5 Plus and Moto G5S Plus definitely should be whitelisted for use on Verizon. They are universal carrier unlocked and certified to work on all 4 carriers.

The only issue in the past, was that there was sometimes a delay before the IMEIs for some models were added to Verizon's database.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2