Thread: H2O & community gate opener

Feedback Score

H2O & community gate opener

I live in a community condo complex where they use phone system to get the gate open for guests.
    I use google voice so calls are forwarded to our cell phones where we press "9" to open the gate.

I had airvoice which I had no problems getting the gate open.

I now have H2O and for some reason it is not working while my wife's is working properly.
    Now I must say that I do not know if this occurs since using H2O or it was working for a short time. I ported to H2O last December.

I did a search and some with iPhone 6 had this same issue and had to set cellular to data (not LTE). But I'm using android so this does not apply.

Anyone have similar experience?

many thanks

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ask H2O customer service if they're doing "DTMF suppression," and if so whether it can be turned off.

Feedback Score
    I turn back on the dial pad tone and tried last night.
    It was working.
    I'll try a few more times to make sure this fixed it.

Feedback Score
    Ok I looked up DTMF suppression. I still don't understand it. Help anyone?

Glad you're sorted.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Ok I looked up DTMF suppression. I still don't understand it. Help anyone?
    You know how when you push the different numbers on a home landline dialpad, they each make different tones? Those are DTMF tones. Some phone providers suppress those from going through to the other end of a call. (This is for technical reasons or fraud-prevention reasons that are more complicated than we need to go into here.) Providers who do that are doing DTMF suppression.

OP's gate code works because the DTMF tones go from his phone to his gate controller over the call that he makes to the controller. When he sends the right tones to the controller, the gate opens. I was suspicious that H2O was suppressing the tones. Turns out he had configured his phone to suppress the tones. Turning them back on solved the problem.

Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by prepaidme View Post
    I live in a community condo complex where they use phone system to get the gate open for guests.
    You could also, for variety program a number in your cell phone that does it all with one call of the saved number.

Using pauses and sends in the programing field of the number P= pause; #= send; W= wait [for response]

PP would be a longer pause if needed.

+12135996505P1XXXYYYZZZZ#PPpassword#
    is what I use to call Truphone voicemail from another phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    You know how when you push the different numbers on a home landline dialpad, they each make different tones? Those are DTMF tones. Some phone providers suppress those from going through to the other end of a call. (This is for technical reasons or fraud-prevention reasons that are more complicated than we need to go into here.) Providers who do that are doing DTMF suppression.
    Wouldn't DTMF suppression by provider block legitimate functionality like when you call your credit card customer service and prompted to enter you card number?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sure. But that's no more or less legitimate than the use the OP had. Bargain VoIP services often cut corners. DTMF suppression could be one of them.