Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: VoWifi Threshold

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    1,851
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    VoWifi Threshold

    Did at&t raise the threshold (turns on with a better signal) of when your phone switches off the tower and on to wifi calling?

    I was at a relatives house in a heavily populated suburb close to Chicago. Probably 3 towers within a stones throw. Last night I noticed the S7 was on wifi calling, camping on Band 30. We've NEVER been on wifi calling at this place ever. It was kind of surprising.

    Isn't that signal pretty decent for having VoWifi kick on?



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    249
    Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    The RSRP is good. RSRQ is sort of mediocre. Not sure that affected the call selection is this case, but nevertheless a completely usable signal.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,636
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    VoWifi Threshold

    Considering it's on B30 signal probably dropped very briefly but long enough to trigger wifi calling. It happens to me periodically, I can go weeks without it coming on then randomly it will come on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    1,851
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Weird

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,460
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've seen the phone camp on band 30 and use WiFi calling, as opposed to switching to band 2 or 12. It's interesting.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    46
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wish ATT did wifi calling like TMO... if you're connected to Wifi, route calls over it. Their middle of the road signal going back and forth to wifi is ridiculous. It uses more battery to be going back and forth between wifi calling and network calling, and if it just defaults to wifi calling, it frees up the network for data traffic. TMO got this one right for sure. Wish ATT would at least let me chose.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    284
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    VoWifi Threshold

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella94128 View Post
    I wish ATT did wifi calling like TMO... if you're connected to Wifi, route calls over it. Their middle of the road signal going back and forth to wifi is ridiculous. It uses more battery to be going back and forth between wifi calling and network calling, and if it just defaults to wifi calling, it frees up the network for data traffic. TMO got this one right for sure. Wish ATT would at least let me chose.
    Couldn’t agree more, the constant switching makes me do one of two things, turn on airplane mode and use WiFi calling or disable WiFi and enable 4G/HSPA only so the call is stable (when in buildings).


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    735
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you have a AT&T S7 (can't speak for other devices) you have three different options to choose from. WiFi prefered, Mobile network prefered, and wifi only do those options not help in certain situations? You could set it to WiFi only and not worry about the back and forth between the two.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    4,965
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    In my area I feel like the threshold has been raised. Now it rarely turns on in my house. I can’t even get it to work with airplane mode on. Very strange.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    1,851
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    In my area I feel like the threshold has been raised. Now it rarely turns on in my house. I can’t even get it to work with airplane mode on. Very strange.
    That's messed up. Gotta be a phone issue. Anytime I've gone to airplane mode and turn wifi only on, it always works.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    De Soto
    Posts
    170
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Did at&t raise the threshold (turns on with a better signal) of when your phone switches off the tower and on to wifi calling?

    I was at a relatives house in a heavily populated suburb close to Chicago. Probably 3 towers within a stones throw. Last night I noticed the S7 was on wifi calling, camping on Band 30. We've NEVER been on wifi calling at this place ever. It was kind of surprising.

    Isn't that signal pretty decent for having VoWifi kick on?



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app
    I've seen my phone kick on VoWiFi even with 5 bars... It just depends on 1: WiFi Speed, 2: Tower Loading, and 3: Signal Strength...

    Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    De Soto
    Posts
    170
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalisbury0 View Post
    I've seen my phone kick on VoWiFi even with 5 bars... It just depends on 1: WiFi Speed, 2: Tower Loading, and 3: Signal Strength...

    Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
    My phone only supports Bands: 2/4/5/12/29 LTE, BANDS 2/4/5 UMTS/HSPA+ (W-CDMA), 850/900/1900 GSM...

    Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
  2. DLink’s Introduces New VoWiFi Phone
    By CA in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 05:53 AM
  3. Bluetooth and Temperature Threshold
    By stargazer424 in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2006, 04:59 AM
  4. Threshold-Idle/Rescan
    By HockeySLAVE in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 02:26 PM
  5. What is your threshold?
    By Livin4PTT in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 08:12 PM

Bookmarks