Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can I get a PIN added to my mom's account?

Feedback Score

How can I get a PIN added to my mom's account?

My mom is 92 years old and still has an old phone and plan from the days when the area was Alltel. I've had a phone on her plan all this time but my phone finally broke. She hadn't used her phone in a long time and they battery won't even charge. I didn't realize it, but she doesn't have a PIN for her account or doesn't know what her PIN is. She also never set up a myverizon account online. They would send her a paper bill each month and she sent them a check.

My mom said she didn't want a phone any longer and if I want to have a phone I should take my number and move it to my own account. We went to the local Premimum Retailer, but all they said the only thing they could do was give me a new number. The problem is, my mom doesn't want to have to pay for her plan any longer because she doesn't have a working phone and they won't activate a new phone on her old plan. I called CS but they couldn't help because my mom's phone isn't working, so they can't send her a PIN which I would also need to get access to her account online.

Due to my mom's age, she wasn't feeling up to making the 150 mile trip to the Corporate Store, so she gave me her account information. They told me that my mom would have to come to the store in person with her ID so they could put a PIN on her account or I would need to have the Power of Attorney to do it for her.

Would I be able to take my number and open my own Verizon account if I can get the account number and PIN? Would it be easier to port to Tracfone then back to Verizon? Would it be easier just to get my mom's account closed then get a phone with a new number? To keep my mom happy, I need to get started on this in the next few days.

Device(s)
    Too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like the easiest solution would be to open an account in your name with a new number. But, it may not be the only option. There are a few things that are not indicated in your post. First, is the account currently paid up and active? If it has a past due amount, VZ is not going to allow any account changes (other than switching between phones you already have). If it is paid up do date, and if your mother is up to it, she can call customer service with her personal information and ask for a PIN to be sent to her by mail. That was the last policy for that I'm aware of. However, I actually had an occasion where they issued me a new PIN over the phone, but that may not be allowed any more--and probably was not correct procedure when they did it.

You could try the written route--type up a request that she signs and has notarized to send to Verizon requesting the new PIN. That might be your best shot if travel to a VZ store is not feasible. Unfortunately for your situation, Verizon has to protect themselves from fraud claims when they are unable to verify identity. Not much of a way for them to tell over the phone what situation may be fraudulent. I'm not suggesting that your's is, but they are covering themselves.

Again, if the bill is in arrears, that has to be taken care of before they will do much for you. Your one sentence leads me to believe this may be the situation--"they won't activate a new phone on her old plan." If you have an active plan, regardless of how old, Verizon will sell you a new phone to use on that plan. Or, you can purchase a postpaid phone from eBay or other sources to replace the phone and Verizon will activate that on the account, if it is in good standing.

It would help anyone attempting to give you help to know the specifics of the billing status. My guess is that may be the biggest impediment to your getting things switched. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    The problem is, it's an Alltel plan. They said it appears Alltel activated our phones on a really old analog plan that was opened back in 1994. My mom has always paid her bill, but when I went to the Corporate store, I couldn't get past the greeter. When I said what I wanted I was told I would have to get my mom and bring her in the store in person with her ID or else somehow get power of attorney.

Getting a new number would be the easy way out for me, but my mom will still be stuck paying for her old plan when she doesn't have any working phones on the plan. She wants me to help her cancel her account so she stops getting bills and she told me to port out my number if I wanted to keep it but the main objective is to cancel her service within the next week or so. I thought about porting mine to Tracfone until I decide what phone and plan I want and hers to Google Voice just to make it easier to close her account.

Feedback Score
    If your number is also on the account they can send a secure pin to your number in order to add an acutal pin. Just call customer service and make sure your mom is with you to also speak to them. While you're at it have then add you as an authorized user and they will get her permission. Then you can do whatever you want to the account. Simple as that.

Feedback Score
    My phone is broken, can't be turned on to receive a PIN. My mom's phone has a completely dead battery, won't even take a charge. I called CS and they said there was nothing they could do, the only way to get a PIN added to the account is to have my mom go to the Corporate Store in person with her ID. They said if my mom can't make the trip, then I would need to get the power of attorney to do it for her. I don't know if my mom writes a letter giving me permission to make changes to her account and signs it if that would satisfy their requirement or not. I really don't want to have to go talk to a lawyer just to find out how I can put a PIN on my mom's account.

My mom wants me to focus on how to get a PIN put on her account. I still need a new phone with my own plan but there's too many questions.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Why not buy a cheap used phone and activate it on your mom's account in order to receive the PIN?

Feedback Score
    I asked CS about that but since it's a really old Alltel account I was told another phone can't be activated on that plan. It was a crappy plan from back in 1994. $12 per month and 60 cents a minute to talk on the dang thing. Alltel added free mobile to mobile way back, but they still zapped me with roaming charges when I left the area so I almost never used the phone.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Are you using a 4G LTE phone? If so, pop your sim card into a phone and then you'll be able to receive the PIN # from customer service.

Sent from my XT1650 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Alltel Hue

Feedback Score
    I'm not familiar with Alltel plsns or why it isn't possible to replace the phone on her account. That said, if you just want you port out you should be able to do so without establishing a PIN. After all, if no PIN is set up then the PIN is irrelevant. You would need the account number and other details such as phone number and account owner name though.

A power of attorney doesn't require a lawyer, but you do need a notary and both of you would need to be present. I think notaries charge $15, but that varies by area I'm sure. There should be forms online that can be downloaded for free or for minimal cost.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Port out to Google Voice.
    Then you can forward the phone number from voice to whatever number you have.
    You can also port the number back into Verizon if you want it on a Verizon plan.

I think porting to GV is the easiest, but I could be wrong.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    My cousin came by today and took my mom to the Corporate Store. They then went to Wally World and got 2 LG Enovy III phones on U.S. Cellular. I guess the numbers were both ported out and the Verizon account was closed which was what my mom wanted. I would like to put a better phone back on Verizon, I just don't know if US Cellular prepaid lets you port back out or not, but I have a working phone and I'll have time to select a phone and plan since there's no rush.

I would port the number to Google Voice so it wouldn't matter what phone I had, but if it was possible to port back out of US Cellular prepaid, I'd have to buy a phone from a place that knew how to do it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
    My cousin came by today and took my mom to the Corporate Store. They then went to Wally World and got 2 LG Enovy III phones on U.S. Cellular. I guess the numbers were both ported out and the Verizon account was closed which was what my mom wanted. I would like to put a better phone back on Verizon, I just don't know if US Cellular prepaid lets you port back out or not, but I have a working phone and I'll have time to select a phone and plan since there's no rush.

I would port the number to Google Voice so it wouldn't matter what phone I had, but if it was possible to port back out of US Cellular prepaid, I'd have to buy a phone from a place that knew how to do it.
    Get your cousin to give you his US Cellular account number and account PIN. If he never setup an account PIN you'll need the last 4 of his SSN.

You'll need that info to port your number out to Google Voice, Verizon or whomever.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    They put both phones on PREPAID. They only did this because my cousin wanted to help my mom close her Verizon account. They drove 150 miles to get a 4 digit pin, but Verizon wouldn't do an in-store cancellation, they could only add the pin. My cousin decided to put both numbers on prepaid, he said that way he saved both phone numbers before closing the account because he wasn't sure which number I wanted or if I wanted both. He went with US Cellular because Wally World had the cheap dummy phones for $9 each. Since it's prepaid there's no account number but he did give me the pin for both numbers. I just tried porting to Google Voice and it said my number wasn't available to port.

The main objective was to add a pin to my mom's account so we could make changes and it's been done. I'm now free to start over with my own account even if I have to get a new number.

Feedback Score
    Prepaid accounts do have account numbers and all carriers (even prepaid) are required to let you port out. Sometimes the account number isn’t obvious, but there is one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast