Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

The iPhone 8 uses Qualcomm's X16 modem: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPho.../97481#s178972

Which supports 4x carrier aggregation, 256 bit downlink/64 bit uplink QAM, 4x4 MIMO, and LTE-LAA/U for theoretical speeds of 1 Gbps down and 150 Mbps up: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ems/4g-lte/x16

I wonder why Apple and Verizon are pretending it doesn't support unlicensed LTE, or why they're hiding its Gigabit LTE support.

Feedback Score

iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    The iPhone 8 uses Qualcomm's X16 modem: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPho.../97481#s178972

Which supports 4x carrier aggregation, 256 bit downlink/64 bit uplink QAM, 4x4 MIMO, and LTE-LAA/U for theoretical speeds of 1 Gbps down and 150 Mbps up: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ems/4g-lte/x16

I wonder why Apple and Verizon are pretending it doesn't support unlicensed LTE, or why they're hiding its Gigabit LTE support.
    Has this been confirmed that we will be seeing Qualcomm Modems in the new iPhones ? Apple had a dispute with them and the general notion is we will see Intel modems. From what I've heard it supports 4x CA and 256 QAM. Hey from your mouth to Gods ear, it sure would be nice to see!!!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I've heard the new iPhones don't support 4x4 mimo. Without that no gigabit LTE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It won’t support Gigabit LTE because Apple will make sure both the Qualcomm and Intel modems have the same features. Any extra features on the Qualcomm phones will be disabled by Apple. They did this with the 7 and 7+ last year.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Seconded^

Expect Apple to do the exact same they did with the 8 & X like they did with the 7.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Apple needs to stop with this penny-pinching. If they want to charge $1100 for a phone, it should have the best modem in it, not Intel's garbage.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Why does Apple do this? Is this because Verizon still requires 1xRTT for voice?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    That's why they keep Qualcomm around, but originally, they only began using Intel's modems for GSM-only carriers because they aren't having a legal battle with Intel, and because they don't like to rely on a single supplier for any component.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No antennas for 4X4 MIMO. Unfortunately once again Apple is using last gen cellular radios. Sucks for iPhone users. Won’t matter for me because my iPhone 8 is on the last gen Sprint network. I’m using a Z2 Force on Verizon which has 4X4 MIMO and 4CA on the Snapdragon 835. I’m pulling 220Mbps on a single B4 15MHz.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Does this mean that it supports T-Mobile's gigabit LTE (assumed they'd have to use unlicensed for some of it)
    I only have 20x20 AWS, 10x10 PCS and 5x5 700MHz currently active here with 3xCA.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    I don't totally understand how 4x4 MIMO, 3xCA, and 256 QAM affect the network as a whole, but it seems that the lack of 4x4 MIMO sucks for the network as a whole, as don't more 4x4 MIMO devices improve the capacity of the whole network? 3xCA is pretty standard, and load balance, but don't actually improve aggregate capacity, and from what I understand, higher order modulations are generally not used frequently due to the requirement for a very strong and clean signal?

You don't need CDMA on Verizon's own network and the LTEiRA partners anymore, as VoLTE is on the entire thing, but they have some small remote roaming partners that are still using CDMA, and I'm not sure if they have inked deals to flip their roaming over to GSM/EDGE or UMTS yet from CDMA/1xRTT in those areas... They also have USCC that is moving at a glacial pace with VoLTE, so they are still using some 1xRTT in those areas as well, and I'm pretty sure they don't want to flip that roaming deal over to AT&T for those areas, as that would be.... awkward.

Sprint is a whole different situation, as their VoLTE appears to still be in trials.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As far as I understand it 256QAM is simply a more efficient modulation technique (read: more throughput for a given bandwidth) that probably requires a cleaner signal. 4x4 MIMO provides more ways to cancel out interference and multipath at either antenna, to reduce noise. If that understanding is correct, the two would be a powerful combination when used together to achieve more throughput in the same spectrum without really compromising distance much, if at all.

I would assume 4x4 MIMO is more useful a little closer in to the tower as it can help cancel out signal reflections that would never happen to begin with on a very distant signal. So this tech is awesome for higher speeds (think AWS), but it doesn't take much load off low band spectrum, as neither one helps with very long distances. Only refarming can really help with that.

Just my take. Feel free to correct anything I got wrong here.

Redwood Valley, CA (Mendocino County, NW CA)
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    It's Apple, enough said. The world doesn't care as much about the iPhone these days, though, their glory days of ruling the smartphone market are over, the little green robot has beaten them at their own game

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    It's Apple, enough said. The world doesn't care as much about the iPhone these days, though, their glory days of ruling the smartphone market are over, the little green robot has beaten them at their own game
    They have never ruled the smartphone market, they just make the profits.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast