Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Feedback Score

iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Why does Apple do this? Is this because Verizon still requires 1xRTT for voice?
    Apple seems cautious in a lot of ways. They seem to favor stability or what works over having the very latest technology.
    For example The first iPhone was released on 2G Edge while 3G was available.
    OLED screens have been around for ages but iPhone X is the first iPhone to have one.
    Or NFC payments were around for several years before Apple Pay.
    Or on a Mac. Apple finally went to a modern file system with in the last release.
    The iCloud Suite performs basic functions well with no bells and whistles. You can’t even share a link with a friend.
    Underneath is ancient reliable Unix with the Cocoa layer in the middle to make everything look nice and Apple Like.

So Apple innovates here and there, copies other innovations and uses old reliable Tech everywhere else.

Just imagine the trouble if they went with this new modem and suddenly had the fallout from a second antennagate because it wasn’t proven reliable for the masses.

If it’s not broke don’t fix it.
    Last edited by techfranz; 09-23-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    As far as I understand it 256QAM is simply a more efficient modulation technique (read: more throughput for a given bandwidth) that probably requires a cleaner signal. 4x4 MIMO provides more ways to cancel out interference and multipath at either antenna, to reduce noise. If that understanding is correct, the two would be a powerful combination when used together to achieve more throughput in the same spectrum without really compromising distance much, if at all.
    That's really interesting to look at it that way. I wasn't thinking in terms of them working together except to create raw throughput. This, unfortunately, will hold back the efficiency of networks and the more widespread deployment of 4x4 MIMO.

I would assume 4x4 MIMO is more useful a little closer in to the tower as it can help cancel out signal reflections that would never happen to begin with on a very distant signal. So this tech is awesome for higher speeds (think AWS), but it doesn't take much load off low band spectrum, as neither one helps with very long distances. Only refarming can really help with that.
    It sounds like it's good for urban environments where the low-band/mid-band difference is negligible anyway due to site spacing, and there's lots of stuff (i.e. buildings) to cause multipath. It's kind of another big miss for Apple then in terms of network technologies, but they always are kind of behind the curve. This is not as big of a miss though as LTE was, since the iPhone was delayed in fully supporting Verizon until the iPhone 5, with the crippled iPhone 4 and 4s being released onto Verizon's already obsolete EVDO network without SVDO. You're talking about refarming B5 from CDMA to LTE? That seems more of a capacity play in urban areas, in more rural areas, B13 is fine for low-band, since most phones will still be able to camp on B4.

What still baffles me is that Apple sells old model iPhones, instead of creating a cheaper model, like the 5c was supposed to be. Every other manufacturer has a lower end line that gets regular updates, and can include new radio technologies and LTE bands, but still has lower spec'ed hardware and a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    It's Apple, enough said. The world doesn't care as much about the iPhone these days, though, their glory days of ruling the smartphone market are over, the little green robot has beaten them at their own game
    WHOA. The iPhone dominates the US market in profits, dominates the high end of the market, and is now running about a 75% marketshare amongst Gen Z smartphone users. Yes, globally, Android is completely dominant, both due to markets like China and South Korea, as well as markets that are more price sensitive, and buy $50 Android phones. Apple's overall package is a lot better, more reliable, with better support for the hardware at the Apple store, as well as software updates. If it weren't for the low-end prepaid market, iOS would have a larger marketshare in the US than Android. Next time you fly somewhere, look around at the airport, and you'll see iOS dominating. The same is true for most college campuses. People who can afford them are overwhelmingly buying iPhones, and now there are prepaid iPhones as low as $129 in Wal-Mart.

I have an Android phone, and I prefer the Android interface, and most of my friends are Android users, but the trends and data are undeniable. We've got 4 or more major Android manufacturers sharing 55% of the marketshare, with Apple alone holding 43% in the US.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    Apple is creating uniformity in their product line.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    You're talking about refarming B5 from CDMA to LTE? That seems more of a capacity play in urban areas, in more rural areas, B13 is fine for low-band, since most phones will still be able to camp on B4.
    I actually think it will really help in the rural areas, too. It's basically just another band 13. Very similar coverage. Think of it as load balancing for band 13. If you're close enough to get band 4, that will always be superior. I'm pretty excited about what 5 can do for CA as well as the load balancing, though. The other really nice thing is that band 5 has a ton of handset support out there. We're not really waiting on anything.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score
    Since the tear down confirms the latest Qualcomm LTE chip, couldn’t Verizon spin this as “only the latest 1 Gbps and LAA” are available in the iPhone 8 Verizon (CDMA) version. If you go with the other carrier’s iPhone- you won’t get the fastest speeds that are only available on the Verizon network”. Or am I missing something in the tear down that indicates that 1 Gbps and LAA won’t work in the CDMA iPhone 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Monopine construction progress near Lake Tahoe, Sep-Dec 2003.

Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for more pictures, cell site location maps & more http://renowirelessinfo.com

Feedback Score
    The Qualcomm chip is ready for gigabit LTE , but the I phones hardware won’t support gigabit lte .. I would be shocked if the I phone can support 4x4 mimo

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I actually think it will really help in the rural areas, too. It's basically just another band 13. Very similar coverage. Think of it as load balancing for band 13. If you're close enough to get band 4, that will always be superior. I'm pretty excited about what 5 can do for CA as well as the load balancing, though. The other really nice thing is that band 5 has a ton of handset support out there. We're not really waiting on anything.
    I would think you'd need a very particular distribution of customers on a site though, in a donut around the tower. If it's a more typical setup, with a tower near/in a town, then the town would be on B4, and only customers well outside of town would need B13/5. So maybe it will help in a few instances, but it seems to be that B2/4 would be fine for capacity in most cases. B2 is impressive on LTE, it reaches almost as far as B17, and I'd imagine B17 is about the same a B13 as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    The Qualcomm chip is ready for gigabit LTE , but the I phones hardware won’t support gigabit lte .. I would be shocked if the I phone can support 4x4 mimo

What other hardware besides antennas would it need?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    What other hardware besides antennas would it need?

That would be it! The chip would handle everything else and the phone is already 256QAM ready

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That would be it! The chip would handle everything else and the phone is already 256QAM ready

Please forgive me - I didn’t fully read the tear down. Are we sure that the iPhone 8 doesn’t have the necessary antennas to support the new LTE chip/radios?

Feedback Score
    Please forgive me - I didn’t fully read the tear down. Are we sure that the iPhone 8 doesn’t have the necessary antennas to support the new LTE chip/radios?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Well that seems stupid of Apple. Maybe the iPhone X will have antennas to support the LTE chip? That will make my wait for “the X” worth it even more.

Feedback Score
    Well that seems stupid of Apple. Maybe the iPhone X will have antennas to support the LTE chip? That will make my wait for “the X” worth it even more.

Keep in mind just like last year .. the intel variant is not gigabit ready .. so, even if the x has the hardware .. Apple will disable the feature to match the intel variant

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Since the tear down confirms the latest Qualcomm LTE chip, couldn’t Verizon spin this as “only the latest 1 Gbps and LAA” are available in the iPhone 8 Verizon (CDMA) version. If you go with the other carrier’s iPhone- you won’t get the fastest speeds that are only available on the Verizon network”. Or am I missing something in the tear down that indicates that 1 Gbps and LAA won’t work in the CDMA iPhone 8?

If its anything like last year with the qualcomm vs intel, apple will limit it so they can both only reach the same speeds.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Let's be honest, Apple markets their phones to people more concerned about megapixels and camera filters than any of the internal modulation technology. I say this not to disagree with anything that has been mentioned about how their flagship phone is essentially being neutered because it is but they can chop all the features they want and people will still line up and plop down a grand for the phone the day it comes out not evening knowing or caring that they have a technically inferior product.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast