Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    It's a weird juxtaposition that Apple is 2 years ahead of Qualcomm with their SoC, and yet at least a year behind on the RF side of things.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score
    I could care less if my iPhone can do 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps, because I can’t think of an application that would need all that bandwidth. However if I’m in an area where I’m stuck on a congested band and experiencing noticeable slowdowns, where someone next to me with a fully capable phone is unhindered because of LAA or MIMO - I would be upset with Apple’s decision to hinder the reception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cell Site Picture of the Week:

Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for more pictures, cell site location maps, carrier reviews & more http://renowirelessinfo.com

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Are any US carriers currently using Band 66? Can the Qualcomm modem handle it? The Canadian experience is that the Intel iPhone 8 handles it fine but BYOD Androids with the Qualcomm modem do not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Are any US carriers currently using Band 66? Can the Qualcomm modem handle it? The Canadian experience is that the Intel iPhone 8 handles it fine but BYOD Androids with the Qualcomm modem do not.
    The iPhone 8 supports band 66. It's listed on the specs on Apple's site.

Not sure if Verizon has rolled out band 66 anywhere yet though. They do own the spectrum for band 66 however.
    Last edited by jkozlow3; 09-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    I could care less if my iPhone can do 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps, because I can’t think of an application that would need all that bandwidth.
    Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 263
Size:  5.21 MB

Gigabit cellular bandwidth would enable use cases like ultra-cheap phones/tablets/computers that run entirely on remote servers, with no need for expensive chips in the devices themselves. Imagine picking up a newspaper-like foldable screen, which recognizes your face, and instantly loads your entire personal database over the cloud. Any device you pick up would be customized in the blink of an eye. There would thereotically be no more need for carrying around your own dedicated, personal, expensive computers.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Gigabit cellular bandwidth would enable use cases like ultra-cheap phones/tablets/computers that run entirely on remote servers, with no need for expensive chips in the devices themselves.
    So "expensive" LOL. There are Android phones for $100 unlocked. That type of application is not going to happen within the lifespan of an iPhone 8.

This stuff is all about capacity and congestion. If it weren't for congestion, we would have no reason to deploy LTE- HSPA+ or EVDO would be fine. There would be no reason to have carrier aggregation or MIMO or higher orders of QAM. This stuff all allows more people to use their devices at once and get a decent experience. It's unfortunate that Apple didn't put all of this technology in the iPhone 8, as it would help the overall efficiency of the LTE network for all users, whether they have new, old, iPhone, Android, whatever. The goal here isn't to get 300mbps speedtests, it's to get a couple of mbps that's stable to hundreds or thousands of users on a cell site at once.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    So "expensive" LOL. There are Android phones for $100 unlocked.
    That's still incredibly expensive for poor people, as well as being impractical for most people to casually purchase.

Name:  tumblr_o80g6cLDPU1usv7xpo1_500.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  26.8 KB

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    4x4 mimo helps with low signal too. Look at the graph: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/20...eeds-available

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    4x4 mimo helps with low signal too. Look at the graph: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/20...eeds-available
    Definitely. I'm at -116dbm which is fringe coverage and I'm pulling 100Mbps. An iPhone 8 next to me is only pulling 35Mbps.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Definitely. I'm at -116dbm which is fringe coverage and I'm pulling 100Mbps. An iPhone 8 next to me is only pulling 35Mbps.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using HoFo mobile app
    That's very impressive, which market are you in And what Max speeds have you been able to pull on that particular tower with good signal ?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Informative article. I found this sentence interesting:

“Whereas older LTE devices have two antennas, Snapdragon Gigabit LTE devices have four.”

The iPhone 8 is a Snapdragon Gigabit LTE device, but rumors suggest that apparently Apple has neutered the antenna configuration so that Gigabit LTE is not possible. I looked through the teardown again and didn’t see anything related to the exact antenna capability.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Was it an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus? Apple could put a different antenna configuration in the Plus if they wanted to.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone 8 uses Qualcomm's X16 modem: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPho.../97481#s178972

Which supports 4x carrier aggregation, 256 bit downlink/64 bit uplink QAM, 4x4 MIMO, and LTE-LAA/U for theoretical speeds of 1 Gbps down and 150 Mbps up: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ems/4g-lte/x16

I wonder why Apple and Verizon are pretending it doesn't support unlicensed LTE, or why they're hiding its Gigabit LTE support.
    Just because the modem supports it, doesn't mean the iPhone will. Like last year, they limit what the Qualcomm model can do so it's on par with the Intel model.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    The iPhone 8 supports band 66. It's listed on the specs on Apple's site.

Not sure if Verizon has rolled out band 66 anywhere yet though. They do own the spectrum for band 66 however.
    Sorry you didn't understand. I'll explain another way.

When a Qualcomm iPhone 8 is on Freedom Band 66 and receives an incoming call, it switches to 3G. When the call is complete it is unable to switch back to Band 66 without being power-cycled. This behaviour is the same as Androids with the Qualcomm modem. The Intel iPhone 8 does not have this limitation.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That's still incredibly expensive for poor people, as well as being impractical for most people to casually purchase.
    Yes, so those poor people who can't afford a $100 phone that sells for $30-$50 through a prepaid carrier should buy an $800 phone with gigabit LTE so that some future method of virtualizing the smartphone (what happens when you have no signal anyway?) can eliminate the need for the $800 smartphone. WHAT? This application is simply not a consideration in the lifespan of the iPhone 8. Other posters make valid points about handling of weak signal conditions, congestion, etc.

WOW. What is that app you have running in the upper left that's showing the band and signal level?

Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    When a Qualcomm iPhone 8 is on Freedom Band 66 and receives an incoming call, it switches to 3G. When the call is complete it is unable to switch back to Band 66 without being power-cycled. This behaviour is the same as Androids with the Qualcomm modem. The Intel iPhone 8 does not have this limitation.
    That has little to do with the chip, and everything to do with the fact that your carrier is way behind the times and is still using old 3G for voice. If they were using VoLTE, they could just stay on LTE in the first place.
    Last edited by GSMinCT; 09-25-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fix quotes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast