Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: iPhones 8 and X Appear to Support Verizon's Gigabit LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Sorry you didn't understand. I'll explain another way.

When a Qualcomm iPhone 8 is on Freedom Band 66 and receives an incoming call, it switches to 3G. When the call is complete it is unable to switch back to Band 66 without being power-cycled. This behaviour is the same as Androids with the Qualcomm modem. The Intel iPhone 8 does not have this limitation.
    Really?? That makes band 66 pretty useless if true (actually worse than useless if it causes issues)! I sure hope I don't experience this issue. Power cycling your phone after a call to get LTE back - seriously?? Hopefully something a software update can fix.

Do you have a source by chance?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    Really?? That makes band 66 pretty useless if true (actually worse than useless if it causes issues)! I sure hope I don't experience this issue. Power cycling your phone after a call to get LTE back - seriously?? Hopefully something a software update can fix.

Do you have a source by chance?
    Might this problem be specific to Freedom? Has someone on another carrier observed this problem with 66?

Feedback Score
    Verizon does not still require 1X for voice as they now currently offer several phones that don't support 1X and are VoLTE only.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Was it an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus? Apple could put a different antenna configuration in the Plus if they wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is an 8+. I think the antenna configuration is the same across the lineups. WiFi speeds are pretty decent. I am able to pull about 400/400 symmetrical off my home fiber connection.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Google Fi, VZW Wi-Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    It is an 8+. I think the antenna configuration is the same across the lineups. WiFi speeds are pretty decent. I am able to pull about 400/400 symmetrical off my home fiber connection.
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping the 8+ might have an upgraded antenna configuration, but it looks I’ll be holding out to see if the X’s antenna configuration is neutered as well.

Cell Site Picture of the Week:

Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for more pictures, cell site location maps, carrier reviews & more http://renowirelessinfo.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was hoping the 8+ might have an upgraded antenna configuration, but it looks I’ll be holding out to see if the X’s antenna configuration is neutered as well.

It’s almost certain. They are advertising the same max. Theoretical speeds across the entire lineup. Also with them using the Intel modem for non-CDMA carriers, they won’t allow the CDMA version to be substantially faster.

The iPhone 7 Qualcomm chip also was capable of 4X4 MIMO, 256QAM, and EVS, yet Apple disabled all those features to match the crappy Intel chip.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Verizon does not still require 1X for voice as they now currently offer several phones that don't support 1X and are VoLTE only.
    So in theory we could now use an AT&T/Intel variant of the iPhone 7 on Verizon, correct? Last year the Verizon SIM wouldn't register with the network on such a device.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    The iPhone 7 Qualcomm chip also was capable of 4X4 MIMO, 256QAM, and EVS, yet Apple disabled all those features to match the crappy Intel chip.
    The iPhone 8 supports EVS. http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...audio-over-lte

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Yes. My point though was that Apple purposely disabled a few major features last year because their other chip (Intel) did not support it.

This year they are missing out on 4X4 MIMO while every other flagship device being launched is capable of it. Some much less expensive.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    The point?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lawandorder View Post
    The point?
    That Apple is still a full generation behind other flagships in terms of cellular connectivity.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4