Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Post Apple Makes Wireless Charging a Thing Again

Name:  charging-mat.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  25.3 KB

Way back in December of 2013 I bought a Google-branded inductive charger for my Nexus 4. The technology immediately won me over; there was no fast-charging technology to speak of at the time, and thus no drawbacks to dropping my phone on a charging mat beside my desktop computer. Having my phone always juiced up and ready to go was pretty great.

Around this time IKEA started selling a floor lamp with an inductive charging pad built-in, and at least one coffee shop near me had wireless charging embedded in its counters. As even the mighty Samsung got behind the nascent Qi charging standard, a future with less wires looked increasingly possible. People were even talking about inductive bowls that you could dump all of your electronics in to charge as you walked through the threshold of your home.

And then fast charging happened. Wireless charging never really went away, of course, but for me it became harder and harder to justify a slow wireless charge over a wired one that could get my phone battery to 100% in about an hour.

Cut to the present day, where the new iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X all support the Qi inductive charging standard. Again, inductive charging never went away, but with Apple supporting it I'd expect to see a lot more inductive chargers in coffee shops across North America. And soon.

The new iPhones also support fast charging, but only through additional accessories—namely, a USB-C to Lightning cable and separate 29 watt brick. I honestly think that wireless charging is going to end up being the bigger deal, whether you're an iPhone user or not. I'd even go so far as to predict that next year will see a renewed interest in Qi-compatible Android phones.

In the meantime, here's a question for iOS enthusiasts: which are you more excited about, wireless charging or fast wired charging?

Links: IKEA, The Verge, Wikipedia
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Phone
    Currently using a Google Motorola Nexus 6 (2014).
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Pay As You Go $3/month plan w/optional data.
    Feedback Score
    As mostly an Android user for the last several years that also uses an iOS device (on a iPad Mini 2), I like the fact that Apple has finally added fast charging and wireless charging to the iPhones. It’s just another addition that makes iOS more interesting to me especially since I like iOS11. Yes I have thought about an iPhone especially with the solid software updates.

However I do have to say as much as fast charging and more so wireless charging is cool to me (a techie), I don’t think your average consumer (like my mother or sister for example who have iPhones and iPads) will care to go out and buy either a qi charging pad or pay the bigger price tag to buy a lightning to usb-c cable and fast charging wall charger to actually take advantage of fast charging. If the fast charging came in the box, they might notice, but not if they have to buy it.

Side note, it’s sad that it takes Apple for something like wireless charging, smartphones or ditching the headphone jack to go mainstream.

Feedback Score
    Better to grab an ikea qi product. Works great and cheap!

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As long as I'm in a car or at work with a cable available to charge, wireless charging sounds better to me. The big issue I still have is when on vacations or other cases where I have a full day where I don't have access to charge, and have a lot of data or photos to take, and the battery doesn't last the day.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    The elephant in the room is that, due to poor design decisions, the batteries are too weak in these things. The recent iFixit teardown finds a smaller battery in the iPhone 8.

Wouldn't most want to have a phone that is a little thicker in return for a battery that last a few days?

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I would choose wireless charging over fast charging but I would choose better battery life over both of them

Feedback Score
    I would take longer battery life over either choice of charging.

Feedback Score
    Thrilled that Apple finally invented wireless charging.

Phone
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Thrilled that Apple finally invented wireless charging.
    I love this comment!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I love this comment!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app
    Well they didn't invent it, but no one else did it properly prior to the iPhone 8/8 Plus/X.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

Apple Makes Wireless Charging a Thing Again

The Morphie wireless charge pad requires 1.8 Amps or greater. Just something to consider when looking at wireless chargers. I just happened to have a USB power adapter that is 2.1 Amps.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.