Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any value of Grandfather UDP 49.99?

Feedback Score

Any value of Grandfather UDP 49.99?

Just wondering if there is any real advantage with the old UDP vs the nUDP or the Beyond Unlimited?

Are the old plans still not depriori at 22GB and no hotspot cap?

I am asking so if out of contract is it better to just cancel? ATT iPad plan is much cheaper 29.99 or the Mobley $20.

Feedback Score
    I am not talking about re-sale value...just to keep or let go..thanks

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Many people still use them for home internet. The main thing is the lack of deprio. Rumors are that if used in a hotspot then video will be available up to 1080p, as opposed to 720p tops on phones. But that is just a rumor. But if the line is still under contract you pretty much use all the data you want. So they are still in demand.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Many people still use them for home internet. The main thing is the lack of deprio. Rumors are that if used in a hotspot then video will be available up to 1080p, as opposed to 720p tops on phones. But that is just a rumor. But if the line is still under contract you pretty much use all the data you want. So they are still in demand.
    They'll be hit with the throttling with the other plans but not the "depri:"; however, Verizon has yet to totally implement the throttle that they published on the site. Or they have, but it's hit or miss it seems. When this goes live for everyone is anyone's guess, but I have a feeling the rollout will be a slow and arduous process.
    ATT 500GB WHPI /AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line:2015-Present
    Verizon: 2008-2016 (UDP)
    Sprint: 2008-2014
    Alltel:2005-2008
    Cingular:2006

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Are there any concrete reports that gudp isn't subject to deprioritization? Anyone with two different udp plans tested the scenerio?

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using the HoFo app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Are there any concrete reports that gudp isn't subject to deprioritization? Anyone with two different udp plans tested the scenerio?

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using the HoFo app
    I have both but have not tested it

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Everybody is being throttled on Verizon when it comes to video streaming these days

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    "Not just unlimited, Verizon Unlimited."

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I dumped four grandfathered UDP about six weeks ago.
    Right when they announced the Feb plan was going away.
    The new plans gave less for about the same price.
    My contract was going to be up this month and I was going to get hit with the $20 increase per line.
    That would have driven my bill up to $300.
    So to get the best f the worst, I switched to get the Feb plan.

The upside is that I get better streaming than the new plans.
    More data for tethering, etc.

On the grandfathered plans, I had to pay extra for tethering of use unlocked phones.
    Anyway, it just got to be a pain to hang on to the grandfathered plan.
    I probably would have, if they hadn't offered the Feb plan.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    I don’t know if I’d keep it for $49.99/mo especially after you factor in at least $15/mo for the loyalty voice you’re talking $65/mo. I guess if you were someone who needed it for home internet and didn’t have AT&T available, but with the $29.99 Unlimited LTE Prepaid available on AT&T, the Mobley etc I wouldn’t keep paying it if I had no use. Maybe try to AOL it to someone for free.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Hotspot use bumps the video hard throttle to 10Mbps as opposed to the ~3.8Mbps people are reporting on phones - which honestly is enough to stream 4K after some buffering at the beginning. Tried this with my ATV 4K and after it buffered up for a few seconds it didn’t skip. Scrubbing takes a little bit, though.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    Everybody is being throttled on Verizon when it comes to video streaming these days
    And yet most of the Video apps I use are still not being throttled. Only the popular ones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    I got rid of my old grandfather plan cause i knew the loophole upgrades I been using since 2011 was getting to be a pain. The 29.99 data price was increasing soon to 49.99 for data. Plus other lines has 2gb/$30 and one had $50/5gb line. The feb unlimited data plan just made more sense with all the subsidized lines going off contract so we would be hit with the $40 line access charge (with subsidized lines). Now all the lines are $20/device

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had the $49.99 data plan ($39.99 with discount), but I dumped mine when I saw the writing on the wall regarding the video throttle. At first, the price difference wasn't all that much, but I am saving more than I expected.

It sucks having to watch the usage, but data is slower than a snail at my job (a bunker building where the LTE signal is horrible). I noticed no difference at my job, so I'm good here. And I get mobile hotspot...more for less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    I have never experienced deprioritization on a gUDP line. My video is throttled though since my fast.com speeds are significantly slower than my speedtest.net speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast