Thread: Motorola E4 suddenly missing IMEI?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Motorola E4 suddenly missing IMEI?

I recently bought a Verizon branded Motorola E4 (XT1767) and unlocked it to use with an AT&T SIM. Everything worked great for about a week.

Today, all of a sudden, I could not connect to a cellular network anymore. I checked the phone settings and the IMEI is no longer available. I tried *#06# and the phone app crashes. The baseband version is unknown. I cannot access any of the Network Settings menu items, they're all greyed out.

I have NOT tried to root or do anything related to custom flashing, including unlocking the bootloader. The most I did was disable a few of the Verizon included bloatware apps. Also, afaik, there weren't any OS updates.

Does this mean my phone just crapped out, as in hardware failure? Any other explanations for this? If so, should I return the phone to Walmart or try to get repairs from Motorola? Thanks for any advice you might have for me.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It may purely be a software issue. Have you tried flashing the original stock firmware onto it? Or just a simple reset of the phone?
    The IMEI is stored in a separate partition, so only way to lose the IMEI is to either have hardware failure, or have something overwrite/corrupt that partition.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    It may purely be a software issue. Have you tried flashing the original stock firmware onto it? Or just a simple reset of the phone?
    The IMEI is stored in a separate partition, so only way to lose the IMEI is to either have hardware failure, or have something overwrite/corrupt that partition.
    I already tried resetting the phone and it now no longer completely boots. I see the Verizon splash screen, but before it gets to the initial setup screens, it hangs and continuously displays a message that says "This may take a few minutes". I waited over 30 minutes and nothing changed.

As for flashing the stock rom, if you say that the IMEI is stored on a separate partition, how can flashing the stock rom fix the problem? I'm assuming the stock rom will have no traces of the IMEI in its image.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If it's a software issue a reflash will put everthing back to stock. The phone will boot with no IMEI, so it sounds like a software issue.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If it's a software issue a reflash will put everthing back to stock. The phone will boot with no IMEI, so it sounds like a software issue.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. I'll be looking for a stock rom image to download, but if anyone can point me to a link for the XT1767, I won't mind either

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Sure
    https://firmware.center/firmware/Mot...to%20E4/Stock/

Look for the Verizon ones. You might not be able to flash and older version, so either get the same one or newer.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sure
    https://firmware.center/firmware/Mot...to%20E4/Stock/

Look for the Verizon ones. You might not be able to flash and older version, so either get the same one or newer.

I downloaded one of the Verizon images and manually flashed all the files listed in flashfile.xml with fastboot. Rebooted the phone and still, same issue, stuck at the screen with a message "Please wait, this may take a few minutes." Any other recommendations? Or does it sound like I'm hosed?

EDIT: also, on the screen when I'm in "fastboot mode", even there the baseband version is listed as UNKNOWN

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I exchanged it for a new Moto E4 (still Verizon branded), sim unlocked it as well, and it's been working just fine for almost 2 weeks now. This new one though, had a firmware update applied almost immediately after I powered it on for the first time, while the original one did not. Perhaps the original one I had did an auto firmware update without me knowing at the end of the first week I had it and something "bad" happened during the update. Who knows...