Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phones with better reception than iPhone?

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Phones with better reception than iPhone?

I'm on T-Mobile and looking to switch to AT&T for reasons related to reception.

Do other brands provide better reception than iPhones - do Samsungs? What are some AT&T phones that excel in somewhat low signal areas? Seems like I have seen several reports where people had better reception with older iPhones (5/6) as opposed to 7 - due to Intel modems in newer phones perhaps?

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    From my experience the iphone was often weak in the reception Dept but I haven't had an iPhone in a while so that may have changed.

Motorola seems strong but on att I had the best signals with one of the active phones. That thing picked up and worked well in fringe areas.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    From my experience the iphone was often weak in the reception Dept but I haven't had an iPhone in a while so that may have changed.

Motorola seems strong but on att I had the best signals with one of the active phones. That thing picked up and worked well in fringe areas.
    What phone do you currently use?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Samsung’s S6 Active, S7 and S8 line have the best RF FWIW/ from what I’ve heard. My S7 held a useable signal no iPhone I’ve owned can. The Intel/Qualcomm difference is real... I don’t see it 99% of the time, but there was one classroom where my Qualcomm 7 held signal where my Intel 7 couldn’t.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Samsung’s S6 Active, S7 and S8 line have the best RF FWIW/ from what I’ve heard. My S7 held a useable signal no iPhone I’ve owned can. The Intel/Qualcomm difference is real... I don’t see it 99% of the time, but there was one classroom where my Qualcomm 7 held signal where my Intel 7 couldn’t.
    Do all Samsungs use Qualcomm?

I wonder if I went with an iPhone 8 (sim free so Qualcomm) would it be better?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    Do all Samsungs use Qualcomm?

I wonder if I went with an iPhone 8 (sim free so Qualcomm) would it be better?
    If the 8 follows suit with what we say with the 7... then yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    If it's just Qualcomm, then get a SIM free iPhone. My experience was that Samsung historically was lousy, but my S7 is tenacious with LTE, but lousy with HSPA+, although that might just be the network. Historically, Apple and Samsung weren't very good, and Motorola and Nokia were the best, but with the iPhone 4s, and somewhere on or before the Galaxy S7, both have drastically improved reception. How are the Moto phones? Except for the branded Moto Z, they lack B29/30, and AT&T refuses to turn VoLTE and VoWiFi on with them, but Motorola historically has really good audio and RF performance.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    If it's just Qualcomm, then get a SIM free iPhone. My experience was that Samsung historically was lousy, but my S7 is tenacious with LTE, but lousy with HSPA+, although that might just be the network. Historically, Apple and Samsung weren't very good, and Motorola and Nokia were the best, but with the iPhone 4s, and somewhere on or before the Galaxy S7, both have drastically improved reception. How are the Moto phones? Except for the branded Moto Z, they lack B29/30, and AT&T refuses to turn VoLTE and VoWiFi on with them, but Motorola historically has really good audio and RF performance.
    Thanks for the input! I haven't owned a Motorola since the old Razor haha. Is it just me or do you not hear about them much anymore? Wish Samsung and Apple would focus more on the actual "phone" functions of the phones then.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The S7/S8/Note 8 are RF beasts. They should be a fair bit better than an iPhone. With that said the best RF iPhones are the 6, 6S, and Qualcomm 7. The 5/5S/SE body style aren't that great with RF due to the presumably smaller antenna. The Intel 7 has been notably worse in fringe signal areas than many other phones in general.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    The S7/S8/Note 8 are RF beasts. They should be a fair bit better than an iPhone. With that said the best RF iPhones are the 6, 6S, and Qualcomm 7. The 5/5S/SE body style aren't that great with RF due to the presumably smaller antenna. The Intel 7 has been notably worse in fringe signal areas than many other phones in general.
    Wonder how the 8 Intel/Qualcomm are. Would love to stay iphone, but if the continued poor reception continues it will be hard to stay.

I just question Samsung's reliability and overall performance. Had an Android tablet a few years ago and wasn't pleased. Battery died so quickly (as in needed a new one within 6 months), scrolling was quirky. iOS just seemed much more polished and smooth. Hopefully Android runs better now!

Feedback Score
    out of all the phones that i've had over the years, the ones made by Motorola & Nokia have
    had the best reception.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    out of all the phones that i've had over the years, the ones made by Motorola & Nokia have
    had the best reception.
    Yes I know this was true years ago. Just don't hear about either one of them much anymore though do you? Seems like companies now focus on things other than what cell phones were intended to.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Like others have said, if you want reception and battery, get an active. I just switched from my s6 active over to an s8 active. Both are stellar with rf performance. LTE and WCDMA. S8A may even be a little better with WCDMA, but likes to drop LTE quickly in fringe areas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes I know this was true years ago. Just don't hear about either one of them much anymore though do you? Seems like companies now focus on things other than what cell phones were intended to.
    Moto G5 Plus is pretty damn good with RF.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I'm on T-Mobile and looking to switch to AT&T for reasons related to reception.

Do other brands provide better reception than iPhones - do Samsungs? What are some AT&T phones that excel in somewhat low signal areas? Seems like I have seen several reports where people had better reception with older iPhones (5/6) as opposed to 7 - due to Intel modems in newer phones perhaps?

Thanks
    I think the 7 Plus (from the Apple Store) is pretty good on AT&T.
    I have seen up to -130 dBm on AT&T LTE, but that's actually annoying when the iPhone can drop to 4G/HSPA+ and get me something usable as opposed to soooo slooooooow LTE or one which times out, but I usually see -113 to-115 dbm when I'm on AT&T. I have never seen my S8 G950U push past -119 dBm on AT&T. The funky thing is that my S8 is usually giving me poor RF in the same spot than my 7 Plus.

My iPhone 7 on Verizon Wireless normally never pushes past -100 dBm, probably because their network is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast