Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phones with better reception than iPhone?

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I think the 7 Plus (from the Apple Store) is pretty good on AT&T.
    I have seen up to -130 dBm on AT&T LTE, but that's actually annoying when the iPhone can drop to 4G/HSPA+ and get me something usable as opposed to soooo slooooooow LTE or one which times out, but I usually see -113 to-115 dbm when I'm on AT&T. I have never seen my S8 G950U push past -119 dBm on AT&T. The funky thing is that my S8 is usually giving me poor RF in the same spot than my 7 Plus.

My iPhone 7 on Verizon Wireless normally never pushes past -100 dBm, probably because their network is better.
    Which (7 plus or s8) is better indoors? Sorry I'm not familiar with the dB numbers. I'm a dummy with stuff like that.

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    Thanks for the input! I haven't owned a Motorola since the old Razor haha. Is it just me or do you not hear about them much anymore? Wish Samsung and Apple would focus more on the actual "phone" functions of the phones then.
    I hear a lot about the Moto G and Moto X, just not on AT&T. Although it's not like the DROID vs. iPhone days, Verizon is still slightly better with a selection of branded Android phones, and T-Mobile has become the best place for unlocked/unbranded devices, as AT&T has totally dropped the ball with being a PITA with VoLTE/VoWiFi.

I find the Galaxy S7 to be better than any phone I've ever had, maybe not in pure voice quality or reception on the device, but because I have full service indoors if there is WiFi available, and because VoLTE is more consistent and sounds better than 3G.

I just question Samsung's reliability and overall performance. Had an Android tablet a few years ago and wasn't pleased. Battery died so quickly (as in needed a new one within 6 months), scrolling was quirky. iOS just seemed much more polished and smooth. Hopefully Android runs better now!
    I know a lot of happy Android users, but I'm pretty mad at Samsung with my S7. The battery has degraded to about 70% of it's original capacity since it was new (got it at launch), and there is nowhere to service these things. Nowhere. I either have to mail it to Texas or get the guys in the mall to do it. The software is a mess, I had to reset app preferences and delete the cache just to get rid of a weird, unexplainable standby battery drain bug, but it's still very inconsistent in standby drain, and the whole UI has become a lot less smooth since the device was new. I love the features and the camera, but Samsung's software mess and AT&T's refusal to allow VoLTE/VoWiFi on devices that they didn't sell like the Pixel both piss me off. The only real solution to all of that is an unlocked/unbranded iPhone, but I'm not sure that I want to drop $799 or $949 on a new iPhone, depending on whether I get the normal sized one (8) or the surfboard sized one (8 plus).

The other issue I have is general longevity of the device. I pushed my iPhone 4s beyond the end of it's practical life, as I had other phones I was SIM-swapping with, and I had it's camera disabled for work, but I got a legitimately good 3-4 years out of it with a battery replacement somewhere in there, and I ended up keeping it for longer than that. I have never gotten anywhere close to that with an Android phone. Between battery issues and a lack of software updates, they just don't last the way an iPhone does. I prefer the UI of Android, but I'll probably end up going back to the land of the magical fruit and adopt the #donglelife in order to get away from the mess that is Android.

Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Moto G5 Plus is pretty damn good with RF.
    I don't doubt that Motorola actually has really good RF, but be careful with the way they show bars. I forget how my Moto G does, as I haven't had a SIM card in it for a long time, but a friend's G4 Plus inflates bars like no tomorrow. I'd have one bar on my S7, she's have 3 on her G4 Plus on Cricket, and I'd check the actual signal level, and it would be almost identical on the same band, but show far more bars. I never really pushed them on the very edge of the usable signal range though.

Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    My iPhone 7 on Verizon Wireless normally never pushes past -100 dBm, probably because their network is better.
    Huh? Are you only testing in an urban area where Verizon has densified, and you can't really get to the edge of a tower, since you're on the next one? Any network will eventually drop if you're far enough away from it, and there's that whole physics thing with signal strength.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon version of the iPhone 4 was the beginning of Apples reception improvement. But iphones still suffer a bit and I have evidence to prove so on AT&T. My note 5 was awesome even on Sprint. Now that I have the Note 8 it's miles better then my iPhone 7 plus on ATT. I did have the Qualcomm modem though.

So I have had ATT for a year and for that time we all had iPhone 7 pluses. All but one was Qualcomm. I was always connected to band 12 here at home. I never had a connection issue or anything. I got the note 8 on release day and I will say it's definitely better then the iPhone 7 plus. Here at home I'm on band 2 and never even knew I had band 2 coverage here with the iPhone. SCP is showing -94dB of band 2 here atm. I also thing my phone calls are cleared with the note 8 which is something that really surprised be bc I have always thought the iphones has some clear calls.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s plus, Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint :(, Verizon 2009-2015, US Cellular 2006-2008
    Feedback Score
    Wonder how the 8 Intel/Qualcomm are. Would love to stay iphone, but if the continued poor reception continues it will be hard to stay.

I just question Samsung's reliability and overall performance. Had an Android tablet a few years ago and wasn't pleased. Battery died so quickly (as in needed a new one within 6 months), scrolling was quirky. iOS just seemed much more polished and smooth. Hopefully Android runs better now!
    I would not ever own and Android tablet. The phones are all great and reliability wise better then iPhone in my experience. On my account alone I have had 3 people with iPhone issues and Apple has refused to fix them. My wifes iPhone 6s just died on her while she was texting. I watched it happen in disbelief. Had to wait 5 days for a replacement....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies today. Not sure what I'll do. Have some more research to do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2