Thread: iphone to iphone transfer

Feedback Score

iphone to iphone transfer

I just ordered a new Tracfone iphone with 32gb and plan to give my current Tracfone iphone with 16gb to my husband to use with his current Tracfone number as he seldom uses his phone.
    Just questioning whether I should use the new sim card in the new iphone or use my current sim card in the new phone and put the new sim card in the older iphone when I transfer his account. I have gotten mixed answers from phone and chat support with them saying contact them if I have a problem. I prefer to avoid that if possible!

Feedback Score
    I would say to transfer your account to the new phone and its SIM. This will keep things simple. The new SIM is meant to be used in the new phone. I believe the serial numbers are linked in the system. Then you might be able to reuse your original SIM and set it up with your husband's info. I believe you can reuse a SIM if it is Verizon based.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you should be able to transfer your Husbands phone number and airtime if your old De-activated SIM is Verizon. You cannot re-use a "GSM" SIM in this manner.

You left a lot of information out of your question. Are both phones on Verizon? Are you sure your Husband`s phone has a SIM. You did not mention his phones model number or service provider. A lot of things have to match between your two phones.

Feedback Score
    I did mention my husband also has a Tracfone...and yes both our current phones use Verizon. His current phone is a Moto E and does not have a sim card but not sure why that would matter as I have my current Tracfone iphone sim card and the new iphone will come with a Tracfone sim card.
    When I got my 16gb Tracfone iphone, I then transferred his Tracfone number to the Moto E with no problem...not sure why the phones would need to "match" to transfer a current number with Tracfone.
    My only question was whether it would be more simple to use the new sim or current sim card in the new phone. Because I got inconsistent answers with Tracfone phone and chat service, thought I would try here as I did get great help when having a previous issue after adding more data.

Feedback Score
    Let us know how it goes.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The new SIM is meant to be used in the new phone. I believe the serial numbers are linked in the system. .
    I agree with this advice. Recently I ordered a TF iphone and it came with a verizon sim. My son is going to use the phone and wants to just move his current TF iphone ATT sim to the new TF iphone. I already tried the new iphone with a current activated ATT TF sim and the phone worked perfect.

Soooooooo, I stupidly used the iphones Verizon sim and activated it for another Tracfone. I forgot that the simcard would be linked to that particular iphone (because it came with that phone). Well, everything kinda went south - the sim activated and I could use the service just fine - even add minutes/txt/data with no problem. BUT Tracfone kept saying the sim was inactive (and it could not be added to my account)
    -had to do a chat to straighten it out and (lucky for me) the CS person didn't ask many questions and just put the sim back into my account with the correct buckets.

The moral is: if a tracfone comes with a simcard it really can't be moved around like one you get from the BYOP kits. I tend to move around sims kinda blindly and didn't realize this is not a good idea.

Feedback Score
    It was a long afternoon yesterday trying to get both iphones activated. I started by transferring my number to the new phone online with the new sim and had only one issue...it made calls fine but when I called my number, both iphones rang. I then decided to call support to transfer my husband's Tracfone number to the older iphone and see if that fixed that problem. Nope, even with his number and sim card transferred, both phones rang when mine was dialed. I figured it was something to do with an iphone setting but the Tracfone support person wanted to try and fix it. After much time and multiple attempts, she finally gave up and so I contacted Apple support.

I was sure it was just a setting somewhere on the new iphone but the Apple support insisted it was because the original iphone was still using the old sim card, which made no sense as that serial number and sim number had been successfully transferred by Tracfone. Her only solution was to get a second itunes account and transfer his phone to that account. That was another hassle unto itself as his email was "taken" and so I had to call support again. Seems one of the recovery email accounts we used for the original, nearly 20 year itunes account was that email. So
    I deleted that and finally set up a second itunes account for him and deleted his iphone from my account. Success...but then later while browsing on one of the iphones, I found a setting under phone and calls on other nearby devices that would have solved the problem without any of this hassle. I can't understand why neither of the Apple support people were aware of this setting as a fix.

Feedback Score
    Is that the feature that makes your iPad ring when someone calls your iPhone?

Feedback Score
    Yes...I don't understand why that is installed on the iphone as active, it should be something you can turn on if you desire to use it. And I really don't understand why it rings other nearby iphones that are on your itunes account. During the initial discussion with Tracfone, I had him take his phone outside as I did think the issue might be with the iphones, not Tracfone...and even being 40 feet apart, both iphones rang. It would seem that would be an annoyance in many homes that have more than one iphone, ipad etc. on one itunes account.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmbk View Post
    I had him take his phone outside as I did think the issue might be with the iphones, not Tracfone...and even being 40 feet apart, both iphones rang. It would seem that would be an annoyance in many homes that have more than one iphone, ipad etc. on one itunes account.

Idevices can be 100's of miles apart as long as the others are on wifi they will sync with the iphone using the same iTunes acct.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    Idevices can be 100's of miles apart as long as the others are on wifi they will sync with the iphone using the same iTunes acct.
    I thought they had to be in touch by Bluetooth for the phone to ring your other devices.