Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you maximize the life cycle of your phone's battery?

Feedback Score
    Use OEM charging blocks & cables. Over 90% of these are counterfeit or junk. Bad cables & blocks can affect both the battery & the phone itself.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Use OEM charging blocks & cables. Over 90% of these are counterfeit or junk. Bad cables & blocks can affect both the battery & the phone itself.
    Agreed, especially the blocks, not to mention the safety.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Recently bought a used phone. The block was OEM. The cable looked real, then I looked closely it was fake. The fake cable would only charge my phone to 67% & slowly at that. I threw that cable away. With an OEM cable it charged quickly to 100%.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Recently bought a used phone. The block was OEM. The cable looked real, then I looked closely it was fake. The fake cable would only charge my phone to 67% & slowly at that. I threw that cable away. With an OEM cable it charged quickly to 100%.
    How do you tell if it's fake? Not doubting you, just curious how I can do the same with my equipment.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It's good to know how long the original cable takes to charge from say 20% to 100%, so if you need to compare the performance of a replacement cable, you have some measurable data to go by.

What exactly does fake mean, I have to wonder? There are low quality junk cables with thin wires that will prevent a phone from charging fast and correctly, then there are good aftermarket cables available. And same applies to aftermarket chargers - you can't buy the cheap junk.

An excellent source of low cost high quality cables is http://www.monoprice.com . I would read the reviews on their site before buying as they have different styles/prices for a giving cable type, but that's my first stop when shopping for cables and their shipping cost and speed is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    How do you tell if it's fake? Not doubting you, just curious how I can do the same with my equipment.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    I've unintentionally purchased Samsung and HTC knockoffs on eBay and Amazon, they were very convincing , same for a couple Samsung batteries, very convincing, but they were all counterfeit.

Feedback Score
    You can actually weigh these things on a postal scale or some other accurate scale. A genuine replacement charging block should weigh the same as your original one. I have done this. Maybe also the batteries, but there might be some loss of mass as a result of use.

I read this tip somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post

On the good fakes at least visually it's subtle. Some use electrical testing equipment, I don't know how to. Having a real cable/block makes it easier otherwise detailed OEM pictures/videos. On the cable plug sides is it more rounded or too squared compared to the OEM? Some cables have raised dots or attached sticker tags etc. The blocks are much easier to spot, shape, weight & printing tell the story.

Feedback Score
    On the good fakes at least visually it's subtle. Some use electrical testing equipment, I don't know how to. Having a real cable/block makes it easier otherwise detailed OEM pictures/videos. On the cable plug sides is it more rounded or too squared compared to the OEM? Some cables have raised dots or attached sticker tags etc. The blocks are much easier to spot, shape, weight & printing tell the story.
    Who really has anything to compare then against, scales? Lol...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    It's good to know how long the original cable takes to charge from say 20% to 100%, so if you need to compare the performance of a replacement cable, you have some measurable data to go by.

What exactly does fake mean, I have to wonder? There are low quality junk cables with thin wires that will prevent a phone from charging fast and correctly, then there are good aftermarket cables available. And same applies to aftermarket chargers - you can't buy the cheap junk.
    The OEM cables and USB power supplies are usually pretty good for their intended purpose. An exception is the one that came with my Moto G4 Play which was underpowered for it's battery size. I use only one setup for charging multiple phones, so do have a reference for performance.

You can't always tell how good a cable will carry current by the appearance. I got what looked like a good cable at Staples and it turned out to have small wires in a thick outer insulation. A surprise is the $1 one at Dollar Tree which is a flat cable.

Feedback Score
    On the good fakes at least visually it's subtle. Some use electrical testing equipment, I don't know how to.
    USB ammeter/voltmeter is available on eBay for $5-$10 and not hard to use. I got one for peripheral testing on a computer, but did some phone charging tests as well.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I think actual fake chargers and cables (a cheap knockoff with Apple MFI, Samsung, etc branding) are pretty rare.

There are lots of generic and off-brand chargers and cables. They aren't fake because they don't claim to be something they aren't. Some are good, but many are low quality.

I tend to stick with genuine OEM chargers, USB Type C cables and Apple MFI branded cables because thoese types all have electronics in them and an out of spec one can potentially damage devices.

I don't worry about micro USB cables as they only contain wires, as long as the wires aren't crossed (never seen or heard of that happening) and they carry current they are going to charge your phone without damage although if the wires are very thin charging would be slower.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I think actual fake chargers and cables (a cheap knockoff with Apple MFI, Samsung, etc branding) are pretty rare.

There are lots of generic and off-brand chargers and cables. They aren't fake because they don't claim to be something they aren't. Some are good, but many are low quality.

I tend to stick with genuine OEM chargers, USB Type C cables and Apple MFI branded cables because thoese types all have electronics in them and an out of spec one can potentially damage devices.

I don't worry about micro USB cables as they only contain wires, as long as the wires aren't crossed (never seen or heard of that happening) and they carry current they are going to charge your phone without damage although if the wires are very thin charging would be slower.
    Same here, the cable doesn't concern me as long as it's physically okay, the charging blocks seem to be where the real cheap out occurs, I was talking to an electrical engineer a few years ago about this and he said Samsung OEM chargers are some of the best he's ever seen.

Feedback Score
    I've seen some crappy USB cables that have thin wires and cause the phone not to charge fast. To a limit, the cables with heavier gauge wire have lower resistance and work better. Not all USB cables are created equally based on my experience.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    USB ammeter/voltmeter is available on eBay for $5-$10 and not hard to use. I got one for peripheral testing on a computer, but did some phone charging tests as well.
    Easier still, get the AccuBattery app (someone posted a link on the previous page). I've been using the paid version of the app for several months. It will show the charge rate in mA, so you can compare the charge rate of different cables and power plugs on screen. Also shows which apps suck power, battery capacity, run time estimates and health.

I agree with those who say you'll get *usually* upgrade phones before wearing out the battery. BUT, I had a really nice phone several years ago and I did wear out the battery using it constantly, leaving it on the charger all the time likely didn't help, loved that phone.

Now I try to unplug the charger between 90 to 95%, but I don't stress about it. I'd rather know I'll have a fully charged battery at the end of the day than save some theoretical wear and tear on the battery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast