Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do you maximize the life cycle of your phone's battery?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    I was talking to an electrical engineer a few years ago about this and he said Samsung OEM chargers are some of the best he's ever seen.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app
    Agree about the quality of Samsung blocks. They don't whine when the load is off and they seem to be waterproof and just generally tough.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of those USB meters and when hooked up, they reduce the charge current to my phone unless I pull the charging cable out of the meter connector slightly .... really weird

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    USB ammeter/voltmeter is available on eBay for $5-$10 and not hard to use. I got one for peripheral testing on a computer, but did some phone charging tests as well.
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    You charge your phone around water? . If there is no load on the charger, you should unplug it or turn of the AC source. I have purchased several aftermarket quality charger blocks and cables that work just fine. I'm staying away from low cost junk on eBay. Original branded stuff is insanely overpriced IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Agree about the quality of Samsung blocks. They don't whine when the load is off and they seem to be waterproof and just generally tough.

Feedback Score
    Charger blocks with built-in meters.. .. Great idea

"How to Test the Quality of your Charging Cables"
    https://www.xda-developers.com/test-...tphone-cables/

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Personally I use Tasker to automatically turn off (and on) many of the things that use battery, like wi-fi, Bluetooth, NFC, and adaptive brightness. My phone is rooted for that reason, although AutoTools Secure Settings can probably change all those items on non-rooted phones. I have also turned off Google location history and paused or turned off all the Google activity controls, which causes my phone to use a little less battery, but it also means that I need to use the older voice assist instead of Google Assistant. Personally I just charge my phone all the way up, and Tasker tells me when the battery is full, although it could also be set for 80%. Tasker probably isn't something that the average person really wants to mess with, since it uses some common programming conventions, but I like how I can get my phone to function almost exactly the way I want. Personally I haven't tried out the Tasker alternatives, which are generally intended to have similar automation functions with less of a learning curve, like Macrodroid.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ...If there is no load on the charger, you should unplug it or turn of the AC source....
    Why? The charger from my first smartphone has been plugged in continuously for five years.

I just checked it with a KillAWatt. It is drawing 0.00 Amps, 0 Watts while not powering anything. With only two decimal digits for Amps, I guess it could be drawing up to 0.004 Amps of "Vampire Power". That is in the don't care range.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the logical explanation with supporting data. I didn't realize it was so low.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/231886/tes...ot-using-them/

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Why? The charger from my first smartphone has been plugged in continuously for five years.

I just checked it with a KillAWatt. It is drawing 0.00 Amps, 0 Watts while not powering anything. With only two decimal digits for Amps, I guess it could be drawing up to 0.004 Amps of "Vampire Power". That is in the don't care range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

I tested it also with my kill-a-watt a while back, same result as yours.
    If the charger consumes say 0.005 A, that would be 0.6W, or 0.432 kWh per month. Even with our high cost electricity where I live, that's under 10 cents per month. Yes, that's in the don't care range and not worth it unplugging. Or worrying about. IMO.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the logical explanation with supporting data. I didn't realize it was so low.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/231886/tes...ot-using-them/
    The Vampire Power thing is something the local news consumer reporters latch onto occasionally as something to worry about (and fill air time on slow news days). It's about the equivalent of the reports that coffee, chocolate, etc. will kill you one month and make you live forever the next.

Talking head journalists generally know nothing about electricity or any branch of science or engineering. Their talents run more to looking pretty and reading from the teleprompter while sounding like they are speaking impromptu.

The $25 KillAWatt appealed to my geeky nature.

Some other data points:
    Charged cellphone on the charger 0 Watts
    Acer Notebook in Sleep mode - 1.5 Watts
    Xbox 360 powered off - 0 Watts
    Toshiba 40-inch TV powered off - 0 Watts
    Lexmark Printer powered off - 7 Watts! This is bad.
    Dell Inspiron in sleep mode - 4 Watts, Powered off 3 Watts
    Dell 21-inch monitor in sleep mode - 1.5 Watts

Except for the Lexmark printer it doesn't amount to anything. I have it on a power strip to truly power it off. Using the KillAWatt I really didn't find anything that I could reduce. Turning off a few lights would save a few dollars a year, but they don't amount to much since they are LED bulbs now. Incandescent bulbs are a different story. A relative runs 4, 75 Watt floodlights at night. That costs $13 a month.

Feedback Score
    Charger blocks with built-in meters.. .. Great idea

"How to Test the Quality of your Charging Cables"
    https://www.xda-developers.com/test-...tphone-cables/
    Besides the monitoring feature, those Allmaybe units have good power output. 4.8A and 7.2A depending on model. You can use on other types of larger devices, but even phones are getting bigger batteries these days. Look at the LG Fiesta with it's 4500 mAh. Ain't no 1 amp supply going to charge that very fast, especially with a puny cable!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    I tested it also with my kill-a-watt a while back, same result as yours.
    If the charger consumes say 0.005 A, that would be 0.6W, or 0.432 kWh per month. Even with our high cost electricity where I live, that's under 10 cents per month. Yes, that's in the don't care range and not worth it unplugging. Or worrying about. IMO.
    I agree with this too. In fact, you don't even need a kill-a-watt to test this. Just touch the charger while it's not in use. It if doesn't feel warm, then it's not consuming power.

Feedback Score
    Motorola E4+ has a 5,000 mAh battery with lower mid specs, should do nicely.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Old User View Post
    Since some smartphones have nonremoveable batteries, I guess it is better to keep the battery in the best condition possible.
    Been with Tracfone for over 15 years. Started with an analog flip phone.
    I don't think I ever had to change a battery.

All of my LG smartphones and Samsung smartphones have a removable battery.

But if you paid a lot for a Google phone or iPhone - then yes. Make the battery last as long as possible. Non removable batteries. I don't know why they even make a non removable smartphone unless it has to do with waterproof or water resistance. But I put my old LG flip phone thru the washing machine (unintentional) and after a day in a bowl of rice, it ran for many more years.

There are just too many "deals" on QVC/HSN - so I get too many new phones to worry about any battery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    Been with Tracfone for over 15 years. Started with an analog flip phone.
    I don't think I ever had to change a battery.

All of my LG smartphones and Samsung smartphones have a removable battery.

But if you paid a lot for a Google phone or iPhone - then yes. Make the battery last as long as possible. Non removable batteries. I don't know why they even make a non removable smartphone unless it has to do with waterproof or water resistance. But I put my old LG flip phone thru the washing machine (unintentional) and after a day in a bowl of rice, it ran for many more years.

There are just too many "deals" on QVC/HSN - so I get too many new phones to worry about any battery.
    I think it has more to do with packaging the phone, another processor means less room for battery contacts, removable doors ect.

Feedback Score
    Hi everyone.

What about the car chargers that HSN and QVC pack with their phone bundles, are they safe to use?

And can you use mix and match the car chargers, like can you take a car charger that came with an LG phone, and use it for a Samsung phone?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited to add:

The car chargers that come with the HSN bundles are not contained inside the TracFone cell phone box, the chargers are added into the brown cardboard box that holds the TracFone box. And the chargers look generic with no brand markings on them.
    Last edited by Old User; 09-28-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast