Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What a T-Mobile/Sprint merger would look like coverage wise.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

What a T-Mobile/Sprint merger would look like coverage wise.

This is how T-Mo's coverage map could look in the near future which also includes AT&T's HSPA/HSPA+ roaming as well as USCC'S LTE roaming between now and next year. Below are three different pictures.
    Map Colors:
    T-Mobile LTE - Green
    Sprint LTE - Yellow
    AT&T HSPA Roaming- Gray
    USCC LTE Roaming- Purple
    * Note USCC LTE roaming currently only available in Iowa. Next year will be available in CA, OR, WA, and WI.
    A Combination of T-Mobile and Sprint Coverage. Notice how nearly the entire state of West Virginia is yellow as well as parts of Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.
    Combined coverage with AT&T roaming. and what the map could look like a year from now with USCC LTE Roaming in Iowa with it also being launched next year in 4 other states. all maps courtesy of T-Mobile, Coverage? App (android), and USCC.

Sent from my SM-J327P using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yeah, but I bet they'll switch everything to GSM. Where I live AT&T and T-Mobile both show coverage on the map, but lie and don't get signal at all. Sprint, gets great coverage on the other hand. If they eliminate all CDMA, they might not have coverage everywhere they used to. Remember the severe losses in coverage when the switch to digital from analogue was made. Miles and miles of coverage (especially in remote and rural areas) was lost to not really be regained since. This is very true in the Appalachian mountains on the West Virginia/Virgina line and many other areas throughout the country.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I doubt that they switch anything to GSM, rather just add VoLTE and shut off CDMA, and that only in areas where T-Mobile needs to incorporate Sprint's sites into their networks. Most of Sprint's network would just be sold off to scrap merchants.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I doubt that they switch anything to GSM, rather just add VoLTE and shut off CDMA, and that only in areas where T-Mobile needs to incorporate Sprint's sites into their networks. Most of Sprint's network would just be sold off to scrap merchants.
    Or convert those few and far between Sprint towers to bald eagle nest platforms. It's not like anyone will notice that they are transmitting anything anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Or convert those few and far between Sprint towers to bald eagle nest platforms. It's not like anyone will notice that they are transmitting anything anymore.
    In my area, Sprint is very prevalent and gets coverage where no one else does. So Sprint coverage is still relevant. It may not be the fastest, but by God, you'll have coverage here in the Shenandoah valley thanks to their contract with Shentel.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramdompcgeek View Post
    In my area, Sprint is very prevalent and gets coverage where no one else does. So Sprint coverage is still relevant. It may not be the fastest, but by God, you'll have coverage here in the Shenandoah valley thanks to their contract with Shentel.

I think that should be the goal. I get how T-Mobile does well with speed. But, a cell phone should be able to get signal first and foremost. I'd rather more coverage right now and half the speed I get with T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    This is how T-Mo's coverage map could look in the near future which also includes AT&T's HSPA/HSPA+ roaming as well as USCC'S LTE roaming between now and next year. Below are three different pictures.
    Map Colors:
    T-Mobile LTE - Green
    Sprint LTE - Yellow
    AT&T HSPA Roaming- Gray
    USCC LTE Roaming- Purple
    * Note USCC LTE roaming currently only available in Iowa. Next year will be available in CA, OR, WA, and WI.
    A Combination of T-Mobile and Sprint Coverage. Notice how nearly the entire state of West Virginia is yellow as well as parts of Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.
    Combined coverage with AT&T roaming. and what the map could look like a year from now with USCC LTE Roaming in Iowa with it also being launched next year in 4 other states. all maps courtesy of T-Mobile, Coverage? App (android), and USCC.

That's questionable since Sprint has coverage in Iowa. The merger has its been as B26 can be rolled out now for low band coverage. B26 is available over basically 100% of the country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah, Shentel. Kind of an enigma. It looks like they are involved with Sprint all the way from Allentown, PA to Bristol, VA/TN. Last year they bought out nTelos and I think that territory goes into Arkansas (someone mentioned this on another thread).

I know that Shentel towers are in place because they are visible all along I-81. T-Mobile does need a tower to deploy 600 MHz, correct, as opposed to the roofs of a tall buildings that there are few and far between in Central PA and VA?

Also, there are quite a few Shentel retail locations so finding a store shouldn't be a problem.

Here is an article by a stockbroker/blogger John Zhang telling why he thinks that Shentel is a good backdoor play into the T-Mobile-Sprint buyout.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/409...-mobile-merger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    Yeah, Shentel. Kind of an enigma. It looks like they are involved with Sprint all the way from Allentown, PA to Bristol, VA/TN. Last year they bought out nTelos and I think that territory goes into Arkansas (someone mentioned this on another thread).

I know that Shentel towers are in place because they are visible all along I-81. T-Mobile does need a tower to deploy 600 MHz, correct, as opposed to the roofs of a tall buildings that there are few and far between in Central PA and VA?

Also, there are quite a few Shentel retail locations so finding a store shouldn't be a problem.

Here is an article by a stockbroker/blogger John Zhang telling why he thinks that Shentel is a good backdoor play into the T-Mobile-Sprint buyout.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/409...-mobile-merger
    From my own personal experience, Sprint coverage in a Shentel run area is usually much better and faster than other parts of the country I have been to. A lot of other non Shentel areas are roaming or half working 3g only.

Feedback Score
    @ oldsoul1989.according to this map, T-mobile has a Band 12 location right there in Keyser, WV. Is that near you? And they have another band 12 location in Elk Garden. Pretty soon you are gonna be surrounded by T-Mobile. Put one at the paper mill and you should be all set.

http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Basically, they wouldn't gain much by merging, but the integration of the networks on LTE would be an absolute nightmare. Remember Sprinxtel? They'd need to consolidate and rebuild tens of thousands of sites to work with the various LTE bands from both carriers. What is interesting is that they would end up with roaming deals from both Verizon and AT&T, but I don't know if the Verizon roaming deal is going to transfer over to Verizon's LTE network as CDMA gets shut down.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoul1989 View Post
    Map Colors:
    T-Mobile LTE - Green
    Sprint LTE - Yellow
    AT&T HSPA Roaming- Gray
    USCC LTE Roaming- Purple

Are the maps missing something like 3G on the T-Mobile side? Something seems amiss.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    @ oldsoul1989.according to this map, T-mobile has a Band 12 location right there in Keyser, WV. Is that near you? And they have another band 12 location in Elk Garden. Pretty soon you are gonna be surrounded by T-Mobile. Put one at the paper mill and you should be all set.

http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/
    No right now i live in the Greenbrier Valley area (Staunton, VA-WV market) where T-Mobile also has a Band 12 license as well as some PCS, AWS-1 and of course the 600 MHz. The only part of this area that even has T-Mobile Band 12 and 4 is a tiny spot on I-64 between Dawson and near Lewisburg and I'm still about 8 miles west of it. But I also live about a mile and a half from the end of the Band 12 market where it crosses over into the USCC Band 12 market. But what's funny about that is i noticed a new array over 3 months ago along Rt. 60 on an AT&T site (half mile from my home and on the Greenbrier/Fayette County line) and as well as a USCC tower about 4 miles from there that both looked similar to a Band 12 array but I had tested out T-Mo prepaid a month ago and it was still roaming on AT&T's HSPA/HSPA+. I currently have Sprint Prepaid and it was also still roaming before l even got to the first site as well as the second. So i am guessing that it's either a T-Mobile or Sprint array since I'm here in Shentel Land. AT&T and USCC already built out their networks back here as well as Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Are the maps missing something like 3G on the T-Mobile side? Something seems amiss.
    That's all the current T-Mo coverage with 2G/3G/4G/LTE. Sprint still has a few sites that are still 3G only and even a few voice coverage coverage mostly around Logan and outside of Elkins as well as other parts of the country. I forgot to add Sprint's 3G to those maps but I'll take care of that here in a while.

Last edited by oldsoul1989; 09-25-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, but I bet they'll switch everything to GSM. Where I live AT&T and T-Mobile both show coverage on the map, but lie and don't get signal at all. Sprint, gets great coverage on the other hand. If they eliminate all CDMA, they might not have coverage everywhere they used to. Remember the severe losses in coverage when the switch to digital from analogue was made. Miles and miles of coverage (especially in remote and rural areas) was lost to not really be regained since. This is very true in the Appalachian mountains on the West Virginia/Virgina line and many other areas throughout the country.

Sprint will not be shutting down CDMA until LTE is at the same coverage level. The have more small cells than people think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast