Thread: Verizon cutoffs mark an uncertain future for rural customers

Feedback Score

Verizon cutoffs mark an uncertain future for rural customers

With the talk about certain customers being dropped https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/18/...ural-internet/
    Due to roaming, Verizon may have to abandon the rural LTE program completely due to it costing them money. I indirectly work with Verizon employees and they say just a matter kg time before the program is scrapped. Verizon just can't afford to continue it and is looking for ways to salvage it without costing an arm and a leg. Things could work out but from what the employees are saying its not looking good .

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Let's do a little bit of thinking here. How on earth would this even work? The rural partners have built out a B13 network on Verizon's spectrum, to Verizon specs, with a Verizon network core. How would they disentangle this setup from the LTEiRA carriers, short of buying them out? It sounds like they need to re-do their agreements with the roaming partners or buy them out. Otherwise, what are they going to do, pull the plug on B13 in those areas? Build out their own towers? There must be a contract for a certain amount of time to lease that spectrum in exchange for coverage, so they can't just pull the rug out from under the smaller carriers and push them onto their own B5/B2 spectrum for LTE.

What surprised me is that they did LTEiRA in the first place. I guess they were under the gun to build out as quickly as possible due to skipping 3.5G, so they were jumping from 3G to 4G, and had to expedite the buildouts, but the B13 license would have provided great leverage to force small carriers with the "missing" CLR blocks to sell out to Verizon, or else Verizon could have gone to war with them building out a B13 LTE network over the top of the small carrier's 3G network.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Feedback Score
    Where did you hear that Verizon might drop the rural LTE program? Your link just says that some ustomers that did not live in Verizon's coverage area were cut off.

Feedback Score
    Verizon should not have purchased the failing yahoo and they wouldn't have the cash flow problems that currently plague them.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They are not dropping the program. The thread title was misleading so I've edited it.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it will vanish completely but will be tweaked as needed. How far that goes I have no idea

Device(s)
    SGS 7
    Carrier(s)
    MSV 10GB plus 10GB free, 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    So they announced that they are NOT cutting users off in the Wireless Partners area after all, they can simply get a metered plan up to 8GB. That's perfectly fair. Not sure about other LTEiRA areas, but those folks can actually get service from their local carrier, i.e. Thumb, Appalachian, Bluegrass, etc.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    So they announced that they are NOT cutting users off in the Wireless Partners area after all, they can simply get a metered plan up to 8GB. That's perfectly fair. Not sure about other LTEiRA areas, but those folks can actually get service from their local carrier, i.e. Thumb, Appalachian, Bluegrass, etc.
    It sounded, from the release, as if those without a direct retail carrier now have until Dec. to find another provider. Alternatively, they can stay with Verizon forever, if they downgrade to a tiered plan. I think S, M, and L were explicitly mentioned. But I would assume they would allow XL and XXL, as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    It sounded, from the release, as if those without a direct retail carrier now have until Dec. to find another provider. Alternatively, they can stay with Verizon forever, if they downgrade to a tiered plan. I think S, M, and L were explicitly mentioned. But I would assume they would allow XL and XXL, as well.
    I have a feeling any TDP would suffice. I do wonder about the people without Unlimited that got these letters, I guess that would mean they get to stay as is.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So has anyone that received the letter been offered to stay with Verizon if they choose a tiered plan?

Feedback Score
    I’m definitely changing providers after I got my letter, the day before I ordered 3 iphone 8’s and a watch .

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRABlueMan View Post
    I’m definitely changing providers after I got my letter, the day before I ordered 3 iphone 8’s and a watch .
    Whose your LRA carrier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRABlueMan View Post
    Didn’t they stop paying off devices the day before the 8 and X preorders started?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EricB294 View Post
    Didn’t they stop paying off devices the day before the 8 and X preorders started?
    guess not.