Thread: No LTE on Verizon LG G3 (on Tracfone)

Feedback Score

No LTE on Verizon LG G3 (on Tracfone)

I just bought a "seller refurbished" Verizon LG G3. I swapped the SIM from an active Tracfone Verizon phone. When I first booted it up there was a message that said something about the SIM, and "switching to global mode". The phone worked for voice calls, but data showed 1x. I have another Verizon G3 on TF/Verizon, and it shows a good LTE connection in the same place. I tried:
    • switching the network mode between global and LTE/CDMA
    • activating the built-in APN (it was inactive)
    • turning data and/or airplane mode on and off
    • rebooting, removing and re-inserting the SIM

None of this helped. Occasionally it shows 3G, but never LTE. I put the SIM back in the old phone (Verizon Kyocera Hydro Elite) and verified that it does get an LTE connection. I also noticed that my other G3 (that gets LTE) is in global mode and has the same APN.

Any ideas? Do I need to return the phone?

Feedback Score
    Just after I posted this, I looked and the phone had a 4G icon. I tried actually using mobile data. The icon went back to 1x, and the browser (chrome) gave an error that it was offline. The icon has since sometimes shown 3G and briefly 4G. I was able to use data when it showed 3G.

The other G3 consistently shows a 4G icon.

Looking at the "Network Type and Strength" under Settings:
    • The new phone always shows 1x, sometimes 3G and 1x
    • The old phone shows 4G and 1x

I have yet to have the 4G icon last long enough on the new phone to try anything more. Perhaps I will try moving to where I can get a stronger signal, The old phone shows -108db to -115db for 4G

Just after I typed that, I saw a 4G signal of -133db on the new phone. I tried a google search. It was slow returning. Then the icon went to 1G, and chrome said it was offline.

Feedback Score
    take the phone to your nearest verizon store and see what they say.
    sounds like the phone has a bad antenna or some other malfunction.
    could try a factory reset on the phone to see what that does.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    take the phone to your nearest verizon store and see what they say.
    Verizon stores typically won't help MVNO customers.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phone_bob View Post
    I also noticed that my other G3 (that gets LTE) is in global mode and has the same APN.
    What APN are you using?

Sounds like the trouble I had with both G2s and a G3.
    The Droid Mini however updated to the correct APN automatically. (So did the Moto G+).

9f not already, try the TRACFONE.VZWENTP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    What APN are you using?

Sounds like the trouble I had with both G2s and a G3.
    The Droid Mini however updated to the correct APN automatically. (So did the Moto G+).

9f not already, try the TRACFONE.VZWENTP
    The APN is VZWINTERNET. As I said that's the same as my other G3 which I've never had a problem with. I didn't think I could edit it, but I now see that I can.

I think the problem could just be poor coverage at my house (the strength is almost always -110db or lower). It's my s/o's phone - so I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to check it out further. I see that she's used a little data since I gave it to her, and I haven't heard any complaints.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phone_bob View Post
    The APN is VZWINTERNET. As I said that's the same as my other G3 which I've never had a problem with. I didn't think I could edit it, but I now see that I can.
    You still have and are using the other​ G3?

VZWINTERNET used to work for me. But when I came back to Total Wireless it didn't.

I checked the one phone that was working (Droid Mini) and it had switched to TRACFONE.VZWENTP

Changed the G2s and G3 to that and data worked. It has been reliable since then.

The Moto G5+ also switched to that on its own. Don't know why the LGs aren't​ updating.

Just think it's worth a try.