Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Moto E4

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Moto E4

I haven't seen much discussion about the Moto E4 that came out in June of this year. I just bought one yesterday and will be happy to answer any questions about it.

There are quite a few reviews of the E4 on the Internet, most of them are positive. The unlocked version is sold on Amazon for $130. The Verizon Prepaid version is currently sold for $40 at Walmart and Amazon. You can buy the Verizon version, then buy an unlock code on Ebay for about $2, that will allow you to use it as BYOP GSM on TF/AT&T, or swap in an active (nano) CDMA SIM from a Tracfone-branded phone or BYOP and use it on TF/Verizon.

After buying an unlock code on Ebay, I put the BYOP GSM SIM from my Phoenix 2 into the E4 and powered it up. The phone prompted me for the unlock code, I entered the code an it worked. The phone shows I had AT&T service.

When I tried to make a call, it kept getting disconnected as soon as I hit SEND. I did some research and found that there's a setting for Preferred Network Type. The options are: 4G/LTE, 3G, 2G and defaulted to 4G/LTE. After I set up the APN, then I was able to make calls with the setting at 4G/LTE. I was concerned that it might use Data to make calls, but after a bit of testing calls I did not see any reduction in my Data bucket. I tested sending some MMS and Data must be turned on manually for MMS to be sent/received.

I then turned off the phone, took out the BYOP GSM SIM and put in the CDMA SIM from my Rebel 2. Powered up the phone and it had Verizon service. The Preferred Network Type has only one setting which is LTE/CDMA. I made some test calls and they worked fine. I tested sending/receiving MMS and the phone turned Data on/off automatically to send/receive MMS. That was strange because I figured it's a phone feature instead of a carrier feature.

The Moto E4 has 5" Gorilla Glass screen, 1280x720, 16GB of internal memory (10GB available), 2GB RAM, SD card slot, quad core, Android 7.1.1. For about $45 including tax and unlock code, it's a pretty good deal for a phone that supports both CDMA and GSM. Because my Phoenix 2 and Rebel 2 are still working fine, I'll keep the Moto E4 as a spare for now in case either one of them breaks.

Name:  Screenshot_20170924-201150.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20170924-203939.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20170924-211340.jpg
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20170924-201533.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB
    Last edited by hpham; 09-25-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Corrected screen resolution

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, hpham!

Do you know if the Vzw Moto E4 will be able to get Android OS and Android Security updates without inserting a Vzw branded SIM card?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Do you know if the Vzw Moto E4 will be able to get Android OS and Android Security updates without inserting a Vzw branded SIM card?
    I'm not sure on that. When I had an AT&T branded Moto G LTE (1st gen) in 2015, it got Android updates directly by connecting it to my laptop and run a Motorola utility. That phone was not activated on any network.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks, hpham!

The Moto E4 will not be getting any updates. At least that's my understanding. But to answer your question, I've always gotten updates for Moto phones, regardless of the status of the cellular connection. On my VZW PP Moto G4 Play, I got updates without a VZW branded SIM card.

BTW, the Moto E4 has a 1280 x 720p screen.

Feedback Score
    hpham,
    You don't like the Moto E enough to make it your main phone in place of your current main phone?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    BTW, the Moto E4 has a 1280 x 720p screen.
    Thanks, I've corrected my post.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    hpham,
    You don't like the Moto E enough to make it your main phone in place of your current main phone?
    I want to keep using my Phoenix 2 because:
    1. The call volume on the Moto E4 is low. Seems to be a common problem with Moto phones, lots of complaints on the Internet about it. My 1st-gen Moto G had the same problem.
    2. I've gotten used to the buttons on the back of the Phoenix 2. Takes just the index finger of one hand to operate them.
    3. I have a lot of movies downloaded from VUDU.com to the SD card on the Phoenix 2. If I swap it into the Moto E4, I have to re-download them (it's a scheme that VUDU uses to keep people from sharing/copying downloaded movies).
    4. My Phoenix 2 is still working well.

Feedback Score
    Sounds reasonable - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I want to keep using my Phoenix 2 because:
    1. The call volume on the Moto E4 is low. Seems to be a common problem with Moto phones, lots of complaints on the Internet about it. My 1st-gen Moto G had the same problem.
    2. I've gotten used to the buttons on the back of the Phoenix 2. Takes just the index finger of one hand to operate them.
    3. I have a lot of movies downloaded from VUDU.com to the SD card on the Phoenix 2. If I swap it into the Moto E4, I have to re-download them (it's a scheme that VUDU uses to keep people from sharing/copying downloaded movies).
    4. My Phoenix 2 is still working well.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting!
    Which app is it that shpws the network status (your screen shots)?
    I am seriously thinking about getting one of these!

Feedback Score
    Also, would you mind posting a link to the ebay offering you used for the unlock code?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    @FT_VZW

I use the Network Signal Info app and bought the unlock code HERE . The Moto E4 Verizon Prepaid model number is XT1767.

Feedback Score
    @FT_VZW

I use the Network Signal Info app and bought the unlock code HERE . The Moto E4 Verizon Prepaid model number is XT1767.
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Includes fingerprint reader as well. Pretty good for a $40 phone. Full disclosure: I own this phone and am using it on TF/VZ There's a HUGE 3500+ post thread for this phone on Slickdeals. There's some debate on how well this phone utilizes band 12 on T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Includes fingerprint reader as well.
    I didn't activate the fingerprint reader on my phone. When I'm outside mowing the yard, I leave my phone inside so my wife or daughter can answer it for me if someone calls. They can't do that if I turn on the fingerprint reader.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I didn't activate the fingerprint reader on my phone. When I'm outside mowing the yard, I leave my phone inside so my wife or daughter can answer it for me if someone calls. They can't do that if I turn on the fingerprint reader.
    You can still use a code if you use the fingerprint reader. Of course if you don't want to give them a code that's another story.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast