Thread: Loosing about 50% of my Texts...

Feedback Score

Loosing about 50% of my Texts...

I have a Galaxy S8+ (SMG955UZKV) (Verizon)) running on PagePlus (Verizon MVNO) since I purchased it from Samsung. All has been perfect until about a week ago when I realized that I wasn't getting some SMS alerts that I used to get (credit card use, home phone voicemail, family and such) I can find no pattern, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I seems that I can always send them.
    The only thing that was out of the ordinary during that time period was that I traveled from Nevada to Ohio, and Illinois, and back to Nevada, which I believe was they first time "airplane mode" was ever used.
    I have cleared the cache for the default messenger, and for Textra (which I much prefer) I have re-seated the sim card, obviously rebooted the phone. It seems that everything works fine right after a reboot, but then back to not receiving some texts.
    I contacted Pageplus through the chat feature on their site, and the first person said that they reset my profile, and to reboot the phone (and of course things worked fine after a boot...) The second person insisted that I do a factory reset, that there was a "defect" with the S8's and android and after the reset "the phone would download new software" and I should be fine. When I explained to her that really isn't they way it worked, and that the software would have to come from Verizon, which wasn't going to happen OTA since I was using Pageplus, she just wanted to get rid of me, which is why I am posting. I get my updates using the Verizon Wireless Software Update Assistant, and I am currently running G955usQU1AQGL as of 8/30/17, the phone is stock.
    Does anybody else have problems with texts or have any suggestions?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    C-Spire
    Feedback Score
    Also getting text issues on my Samsung Galaxy S8 I'm with C-spire of Mississippi. It constantly tells me to check my apn. If anyone can help I'd love to know the answer. Just got the phone 10/31/2017. I cannot get MMS and about half my plain text are coming in hours later or not at all according to friends and family calling me. I can't get rid of the main factory installed message app, and prefer chomp. I think it's something to do with the message apps not liking each other and not being able to get rid of the other one.

Carrier(s)
    Freedompop via SIM (personal); ATT (work); PP (family members)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajinks75 View Post
    Also getting text issues on my Samsung Galaxy S8 I'm with C-spire of Mississippi. It constantly tells me to check my apn. If anyone can help I'd love to know the answer. Just got the phone 10/31/2017. I cannot get MMS and about half my plain text are coming in hours later or not at all according to friends and family calling me. I can't get rid of the main factory installed message app, and prefer chomp. I think it's something to do with the message apps not liking each other and not being able to get rid of the other one.
    Have you checked the APN settings? In the CDMA days you needed to update the PRL but with LTE you need to ensure that the APN is correct.

A quick search of "verizon S8 APN" should give you the process and answers.

FWIW I'm using an unlocked (U1) on AT&T and it pulled the APN from the SIM. I'll probably be switching to VZW early next year (work phone, work pays )
    ---
    I haven't post-paid since 2003...

Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Freedompop via SIM (personal); ATT (work); PP (family members)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, thanks. I do find that the S8 "sleeping" inactive apps is a little bit more aggressive than I would prefer (it slept my home alarm app and I could figure out why I wasn't getting notifications). I would still be surprised if it slept a core OS app, but who knows.

AFAIK I haven't lost any SMS messages, but I tend to use GV primarily (and I had to set that app not to be "force-slept").

Feedback Score
    I recall reading that a fix was to change the default S8 messaging app to not be to sleep. Something to try.