Thread: Are you worried about the future of Boost Mobile?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

Are you worried about the future of Boost Mobile?

Now that the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile seems to be happening sooner rather than later, what do you think is/should be the future for Boost Mobile? I wonder as a Project Fi customer that may end up switching, but also as someone who worked with Boost back in the early days of the PTT phones. Not sure of the plan is still for T-Mobile to take over and ax most of the Sprint people or not. Still, it can be an interesting few weeks as we find out what the truth will be.

Feedback Score
    This is way too much guesswork.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    This is way too much guesswork.
    What do you want to see happen then?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If it does happen as planned I think it will be quite a while before any differences are noticed and that includes any big changes that could occur. I think boost will stick around maybe under a big prepaid arm that combines things and possibly being part of TMobile prepaid while dropping the boost name and they could even keep boost just as it is. Who knows at this point.

Feedback Score
    I can't see them keeping all the prepaid brands separate. TMobile has a pretty good thing going with metro pcs so I would think it would only make sense to merge boost into the metro brand. Virgin now I'm not sure, I'm not sure if there is a contract in place with virgin for the name or not, or if that contract States virgin mobile must be its own brand for a certain period of time. But boost I'd think they would just fold them under the metro brand, turn boost locations into metro pcs locations, and call it a day. TMobile isn't big on wasteful spending and keeping all those brands separate may cost more than it's worth. They did a similar thing with metro when they bought metro, started selling GSM devices right away then started offering buyback deals on people with CDMA devices to switch over as they started shutting down metros CDMA network, I can see them following a similar path with boost Mobile.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Richard Branson does get paid for them to use the Virgin name. I can't see T-Mobile paying to use that name unless Virgin is big in Europe and they plan to cross market. I think think PCS is a dated phone term, so now would be a good time to get rid of that. The Boost owner who bought out most of the stores in my area was trying to desperately to get to 50 stores because he feared that T-Mobile would get rid of him if he didn't have that many. While I prefer how Boost deals with dealers, I can see them going with the T-Mobile approach from now on. I think because there are so many stores close together that they will have to get rid of some doors, and preference may automatically go to existing Metro dealers. In one area where I live, there are 4 Metro stores and 3 Boost stores within a 2.5 mile radius. All of them were trying to put the same Boost store out of business and couldn't do it. But in situations like that, everyone would be robbing from each other and it would do more harm than good.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure, metro seems to have zero issues with flooding areas with stores. Down here within a 1 and a half mile area we have 4 metro pcs independent dealers. I agree with pcs being dated but I doubt the general public even knows what it means or stands for. The name itself is pretty cemented as a prepaid powerhouse, it also does have some negative connotations with it but, it is a popular brand so I can see them keeping it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    They usually try to keep a 1-2 mile radius around stores to prevent them from killing each other off. But they also have tried to put them near Boost stores so that if a person is mad at Boost, they can go to Metro and sign up. A lot may come down to branding. The reason AT&T kept the Cricket name was because it was going to cost too much to pay to have all the Cricket stuff in Walmart and Best Buy switched over to AIO. If it's cheaper for them to use the Boost name, they may use that and the color scheme as well. Time will tell on that one. I'm also wonder what Google's response will be since whatever combo the merge will give will give more data, more perks and more phone selection than what Fi gives.

Feedback Score
    Yea it will all likely come down to what is the most cost effective way to handle it. TMobile still owns the voicestream name, merge all the prepaids into one and rebrand it voicestream lol. Would get a kick from the nostalgia crowd. Fi will be interesting if the merger goes through, it makes every device sold by the new Sprint TMobile Fi compatible.

Feedback Score
    Another option also is TMobile could sell off the Sprint prepaid brands to American movil, they have history there also as that's where they sold off their Walmart family mobile brand to. A lot of interesting scenarios at play if the merger gets done.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    The coverage will be the big thing in play. Boost has some great offerings, but not enough coverage for people who travel west of the Mississippi. While some feel that postpaid prices may go up, I'm hoping prepaid prices will stay the same or go down. And hopefully having a stronger network will force AT&T's hand to give better offerings. I think the merger would put the new company ahead of AT&T as far as customer count. That will make things heat up in a hurry.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Now that the merger between Sprint and T-Mobile seems to be happening sooner rather than later, what do you think is/should be the future for Boost Mobile? I wonder as a Project Fi customer that may end up switching, but also as someone who worked with Boost back in the early days of the PTT phones. Not sure of the plan is still for T-Mobile to take over and ax most of the Sprint people or not. Still, it can be an interesting few weeks as we find out what the truth will be.
    What makes you think a merger will happen? It’ll hurt consumers just as much now as it would have several years ago when this was first broached.

T-Mobile and Sprint compete with each other now. After a proposed merger, the new company simply has to undercut Verizon and AT&T by a few bucks. Why would this even have a chance of being approved?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    What makes you think a merger will happen? It’ll hurt consumers just as much now as it would have several years ago when this was first broached.

T-Mobile and Sprint compete with each other now. After a proposed merger, the new company simply has to undercut Verizon and AT&T by a few bucks. Why would this even have a chance of being approved?
    2 reasons. 1. Makan Delrahim and 2. Ajit Pai. Delrahim now oversees the antitrust division for the DOJ. He is on record as saying this "A monopoly is perfectly legal until it abuses its monopoly power"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/t...mpetition.html

I can't really see Delrahim having too much of an issue with this merger, seeing as it would be him who will make the final call on whether or not the DOJ will challenge it on antitrust issues.

Pai on the other hand is harder to get a feel for, but if recent actions in the Sinclair/Tribune merger are any indication he doesn't seem poised to stand in it's way.
    http://variety.com/2017/politics/pol...ne-1202563578/

I'm not saying it's a shoe in for the deal to get approved, but, if it ever was going to get approved these are the 2 guys you want in charge of the institutions that will make the final decision on it.
    Last edited by ksych1; 10-14-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    If the deal happens I think T-Mobile as we know it will be gone. I think everything I like about T-Mobile currently will be a thing of the past. Hope I'm wrong but I'm growing weary of a sprint deal

I would like the spectrum and scale but I don't trust sprint enough even if they still only had 49%

Minority stakeholder can still dilute and ruin a good thing