Thread: Depri before 22gb? Mindless rant...

Feedback Score

Depri before 22gb? Mindless rant...

The adoption of udp again by VZW didn't net a huge windfall of new subs, nor has overall data consumption gone into record territory. I understand localized congestion, but don't know why "everywhere" I travel across multiple states is congested at all times.

So why are even extreme low use rural sites that provided 25mb previously under nUDP now only doing 1-3?

Why does a speed test while stationary via ookla show one speed, while fast.com shows something ridiculously different, usually higher?

Why are speeds "fast" yet simple browsing feels worse than it does over satellite? Latency tests good, sub150ms, but browsing like 2000? ***This is my biggest gripe of all***

Something is definitely off in the VZW world in the southeast. Every line on my nUDP family plan is under 8gb usage, but has the same poor seemingly depried experiences. Even my sister is in the group at her house in rural NC, sendinh similar complaints. It doesn't make a bit of sense.

I did a two week test with my VZW s8+, and a full postpaid ATT udp sim in my old Nexus 6 while I went about my multi state work travels. Save for one special spot, every VZW dead zone was an ATT LTE winner. Every spot with great signal, but crap VZW speeds worked fantastic on ATT. Granted, ATT only peaked at 20mbps at it's fastest over all my testing, but apparent latency was what stole my heart. Even though it's slower, things load so much faster.

I'm considering taking myself and my wife off the family plan and porting over, leaving the kids in nUDP VZ land.

What is the point of this post? I have no idea. Maybe just a rant...maybe seeking advice...maybe nothing. I'm just getting fed up with the extreme downward spiral VZW has fallen into over the past couple years.

VZ needs to fix their fcukup and become top dog again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I won't give you any sarcasm. I feel bad for you. That has to be frustrating.

The only thing you said that I would take issue with is the idea that rural areas are low use. If the hotspot throttling rollout (and associated whining) has shown us anything, it's that lots of people are using Verizon as a home ISP.

If anything, the big cities are getting better tech. All the amazing speedtests I see are coming from larger areas.

Sent from my SM-G935U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I won't give you any sarcasm. I feel bad for you. That has to be frustrating.

The only thing you said that I would take issue with is the idea that rural areas are low use. If the hotspot throttling rollout (and associated whining) has shown us anything, it's that lots of people are using Verizon as a home ISP.

If anything, the big cities are getting better tech. All the amazing speedtests I see are coming from larger areas.

This speed test is from a 130ft mono pine from lower Cecil County Md proly only at max 2 mile range and only 200 houses with in that range.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's pretty amazing. Congrats.

I was paining with broad strokes, for sure. But it does seem that generally the more rural sites will be seeing 30-50mbps downloads.

Your site is certainly excellent.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Depri before 22gb? Mindless rant...

Any time I go somewhere rural I'm seeing the same thing where speeds just drop to absolutely nothing. Wasn't that way a year ago or even just before UDP came out. I would easily say rural areas have been hit the hardest with the exception of some rural spots that are touristy or where doctors and execs live where Verizon has kept up with the network.

Feedback Score
    I guess I dunno. The side by side testing has really opened my eyes.

There's numerous spots I pass through in S GA and NW FL with miles of marginal signal, so bad it's unusable for volte calls and data, but still just enough to show "connected". Knowing Verizon as #1, that has always sat well with me knowing I've got service available if I needed it. It used to work fine, but over the last 8 months it's been more painful than usable.

I turn to the ATT device, and yeah, it may drop into HSPA, but it still screams with low latency and relatively decent overall speeds.

I'm just blown away that what has worked flawlessly for many years has gone so far down the crapper.

Now obviously this doesn't apply everywhere, but it dang sure fits well in my regular travel area from Orlando FL to Jacksonville FL on up to Atlanta and back to Pensacola FL.

There's one spot in the middle of Tallahassee FL that takes no less than, but usually a little more than 23 seconds to initiate a volte call. It will occasionally fail and drop to CDMA voice, but usually not. I've run into similar situations in other major metro areas where voice shouldn't be an issue. There's a Verizon corporate store in this dead zone, and it's freaking hilarious as they refuse to acknowledge any problems as they've got a femtocell running inside. LTE Calls/data will be useless in the parking lot, but magically work fine inside. This issue didn't exist until they started talking about depri some months back.

WTF, Verizon?

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I used to see 50-60 download via Speed Test on two different devices at my home, not a congested area. One with The New Verizon Plan Large 8gb and the other with GUDP. Ever since Verizon brought back UDP I'm lucky to see 15 download.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk