Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 93

Thread: Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    0
    Att wants it to be 22b but with how things are going they will most likely have to reduce it. Analysts are starting to think att will be in some real trouble with how they keep losing quite a few customers in wireless and tv while piling up the debt
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,586
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

    They haven't been densifying in Northern NJ (NYC suburbs) for at least three years . I've seen huge capacity upgrades but that's about it . It's been Verizon who's added many new towers and small cells. Hopefully AT&T starts to build more sites because their network here is spread thin. I'm not sure if they've added in other parts of the state but in central and southern NJ they have a much denser cell grid ( more so than Verizon in many areas).

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,974
    Device(s)
    ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe, Nexus 4, Lumia 650 dual sim
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    0
    No problems with AT&T here in the Chicago area. My international phone always shows 4G, which means it's LTE. I am usually on LTE band 2, 4 or 17. Not sure if the iphone is programmed to show 4G for LTE. Most international phones are.

    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I agree. Overall AT&T was much better for me than T-Mobile. I was surprised when my mom came over and her phone showed 4g while mine showed LTE ON T-mobile.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
    No problems with AT&T here in the Chicago area. My international phone always shows 4G, which means it's LTE. I am usually on LTE band 2, 4 or 17. Not sure if the iphone is programmed to show 4G for LTE. Most international phones are.
    So we've had one say 'it's going to rot' and another saying no problems.

    Sounds like HoFo.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,633
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    So we've had one say 'it's going to rot' and another saying no problems.

    Sounds like HoFo.
    The Chicago area is very large geographically. Ask me to explain in detail where it's good and where it's garbage and I will. The bottom line is new site adds have been very sparse for the better part of a decade now and bad areas have been left to rot while other carriers have been continuing to add sites and upgrade to keep up with the times...Even Sprint has added more macros in this area over the last 3 years than AT&T has in 7.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    217
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    So we've had one say 'it's going to rot' and another saying no problems.

    Sounds like HoFo.
    Att having issues sounds about right

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    We know they will be touching all their existing sites at some point due to their FirstNet agreement.

    I have heard nothing however of any official expansions. Perhaps they feel their coverage is as expansive as they need to be? Verizon hasn't publicly announced any geographical expansions either. Right now the only carrier officially planning a massive geographical network expansion is T-Mobile with nationwide 5G by 2020.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    72
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

    None done here in my area in over 5 years. This map was on the York County VA website. I had high hopes but it took years for the tower to actually go up. The tower was empty for a year and then finally only Verizon and T Mobile are installed. It’s an future AT&T coverage map but they never installed anything on the tower. Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1506456283.747435.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  70.9 KB

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,317
    Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    We know they will be touching all their existing sites at some point due to their FirstNet agreement.

    I have heard nothing however of any official expansions. Perhaps they feel their coverage is as expansive as they need to be? Verizon hasn't publicly announced any geographical expansions either. Right now the only carrier officially planning a massive geographical network expansion is T-Mobile with nationwide 5G by 2020.
    Actually no, they won't be touching every site.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,007
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Utah market has seen selective upgrades to some existing sites in terms of additional LTE bands, but actual new site builds have been extremely sparse over the last few years. This is in comparison to VZW having been on a building spree for many years and T-Mobile having picked up their new site builds within the last 18 months or so and now adding significant number of sites in urban and rural areas. At this point even Sprint has started new site builds, which leaves at&t last in terms of new sites within the last few years.

    And to put it in perspective, Verizon is the most dense, followed by T-Mobile. At&t is scraping by with LTE band additions to existing sites, but given the fact that they haven't added many fill in sites speeds drop significantly as you move into neighborhoods and away from sites as everyone ends up sitting on Band 17.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    Actually no, they won't be touching every site.
    Ok some sites have been reporting this. Thanks for the clarification.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,633
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I actually spotted them upgrading this site off the Indiana Toll Road in Hammond, IN this afternoon. They had the entire rack dismounted and were probably getting ready to lower it, I saw a man up on the tower too. I imagine they're doing this to replace panels to add 4x4 MIMO and B30 or 5. They've been replacing panels this summer. I also discovered one of the towers near my home is now penta band (2/4/5/12/30). So site upgrades are definitely happening in the area.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    310
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I actually spotted them upgrading this site off the Indiana Toll Road in Hammond, IN this afternoon. They had the entire rack dismounted and were probably getting ready to lower it, I saw a man up on the tower too. I imagine they're doing this to replace panels to add 4x4 MIMO and B30 or 5. They've been replacing panels this summer. I also discovered one of the towers near my home is now penta band (2/4/5/12/30). So site upgrades are definitely happening in the area.
    In NYC Metro in Central Queens, carriers are having a hard time in some locations in getting permits to upgrade.

    Lightower permits (acquired by Crown Castle) are still ongoing. I can’t comment on any AT&T specific work. AT&T has restoration work still in progress in Puerto Rico, Florida and Texas amongst others. I see sporadic news from AT&T mentioning tower upgrades or new towers in some locations.

    AT&T has budgeted a large amount of Capex from what I have been told. AT&T is apparently adding more band 29 coverage which used to be sporadic in certain markets including NYC which is great news for me. They also seem to have activated more PCS spectrum as well.

    Fortunately AT&T is spectrum heavy in low to mid range bands.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    3,633
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

    I think that tower above got a complete overhaul, I noticed something new and odd going past it again tonight - each RRU had LED indicators! That's something I've never seen before.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    1,847
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I think that tower above got a complete overhaul, I noticed something new and odd going past it again tonight - each RRU had LED indicators! That's something I've never seen before.
    Are they blue ish in color? The tower by the house of see these weird little lights behind the panels. It almost looks like the same color as an electronical arc "blue"

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
  2. Who is at fault? I am going to kill someone.
    By camerongtx in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 03:50 AM
  3. Is AT&T always this much trouble?
    By bigb252 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 05:17 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 06:07 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 02:40 PM

Bookmarks