Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

Feedback Score
    In Saratoga Springs, I noticed that there's now an 850 layer for LTE-CA. My phone is only 2 CA, so I don't know if it will CA with 1900 and 700 together. Also, saw some 2300 too, near the Navy barracks and high school. Again, because my phone is only 2 CA, not sure if 2300 will CA with the other bands yet.

Now to see if they'll expand LTE 850 out in the sticks with LTE 1900, because LTE 700 is getting a bit strained.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by w2ccr; 09-27-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    People keep commenting that AT&T is fine, but this post is about AT&T expanding coverage, not if they are fine where you live.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    People keep commenting that AT&T is fine, but this post is about AT&T expanding coverage, not if they are fine where you live.
    In Vermont there has been expansion into newfane. Tower was built 2014 I think. I'm not sure about any other expansion, but they have the best coverage here for sure.

Edit: I forgot they have also expanded coverage into Saxtons River because of a new tower near minards pond in bellows falls. They have also added a tower on Stratton mountain, not sure when that was but that has helped coverage immensely in this area HSPA pretty much anywhere you go. I think they have also expanded into Alstead, NH but I'm not sure if they had service there prior.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ZeroSignal; 09-27-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I should also mention in east central N.Y., Dutchess and Columbia counties, has seen some expansion. The Taconic has seen about 2 or 3 new sites around 2015 into 2016. Also on Suffolk county inn long island. There's been about 5 or 6 new sites scattered around filling in coverage holes. Even now on the east end of LI, most sites are running 3 to 5 bands with 3x-CA ruining.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    Att having issues sounds about right
    I see you’re adding some intelligent conversation to the topic. Probably another reason why some of the posters wanted to put you on ignore over at the Verizon forum.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Are they blue ish in color? The tower by the house of see these weird little lights behind the panels. It almost looks like the same color as an electronical arc "blue"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using HoFo mobile app
    The ones I saw were amber or green. Definitely wasn't there before because I look up at that tower every time I go by it. Interested to find out what they did to it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

I’ve seen permits for new sites in Roselle Park, Millburn, Newark, West Orange, Scotch Plains, Montclair, Morristown, Morris Plains, Ridgewood, & Paramus, NJ. Of all these only ONE, the Paramus site, has actually been constructed.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I see you’re adding some intelligent conversation to the topic. Probably another reason why some of the posters wanted to put you on ignore over at the Verizon forum.
    No need to bait
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    I’ve seen permits for new sites in Roselle Park, Millburn, Newark, West Orange, Scotch Plains, Montclair, Morristown, Morris Plains, Ridgewood, & Paramus, NJ. Of all these only ONE, the Paramus site, has actually been constructed.
    Well, think about the municipalities you mentioned. They treat cell sites as if they're nuclear waste facilities. Having dealings with those towns I have a feeling a lot are either being delayed on purpose, stuck in zoning/planning board hell, or in litigation.

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Well, think about the municipalities you mentioned. They treat cell sites as if they're nuclear waste facilities. Having dealings with those towns I have a feeling a lot are either being delayed on purpose, stuck in zoning/planning board hell, or in litigation.
    Which is what all carriers encounter. The fact is many towers are eyesores without *any* attempt to camouflage, hide, or otherwise blend into the environment. Sure, it's just a steel tower, but if the carriers or Crown Castle/American Tower were to put in a bit of effort perhaps the approval process would go quicker. Or maybe their attitude is 'make it cheap but accept something more costly' as a bargaining tool.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Which is what all carriers encounter. The fact is many towers are eyesores without *any* attempt to camouflage, hide, or otherwise blend into the environment. Sure, it's just a steel tower, but if the carriers or Crown Castle/American Tower were to put in a bit of effort perhaps the approval process would go quicker. Or maybe their attitude is 'make it cheap but accept something more costly' as a bargaining tool.
    I haven’t seen an internal map to see how carriers towers compare to each other in individual markets. I do know AT&T coverage is quite good overall but can use improvement in some markets.

AT&T owns more bandwidth on the low band spectrum so AT&T shouldn’t need as many towers and should also have superior penetration of signal on the 700 band.

Tower sites are heavily dependent on costs to operate as well.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    AT&T has been expanding in my area (southern WI, north and west of Madison, WI). AT&T has had a huge glaring hole in southwest WI that it appears to be filling - partially with a partnership with local provider Bug Tussel Wireless, and also with some native expansion along Hwy 12.

In the past 6 months or so, I have noticed many new AT&T cell sites including in my small town where AT&T had absolutely no signal at all.

Definitely being selective, but I am glad to finally have more options in the area other than USCC, Verizon, and Sprint.

Feedback Score

Is AT&T doing much to expand network?

In NYC they are starting to add to some of the existing ODAS systems ( Courtesy of Mrizz96) so perhaps this is the start of a much needed small cell network to boost their capacity and density. They have a lot of spectrum here but it's in 10x10 blocks ( 10x10 band 2, 5x5 band 2, 10x10 band 12, 10x0 band 29, 10x10 band 30). They have 10x10 band 14, and 10x10 band 66 coming. I don't think we'll see any band 5 on LTE anytime soon as they still need that for 850 voice. Density and tons of small cells are the solution to fixing the NYC issue. 60 miles south of here they have 110 MHz of spectrum going with 20x20 on band 2. They still have 5,14,66, and 71 they can deploy for future use. That's a total of 185 MHz of spectrum, which is a massive amount.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    Yes, but other providers have been able push through that. Granted those providers got an earlier start vs AT&T, maybe they had more favorable conditions to apply under.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    It's about expansion but people keep commenting about extra bands being added, that's capacity, not expansion.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast