Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria

With all the destruction that occurred in Puerto Rico. I will be on the island tomorrow for a couple of hours. I will report back coverage issues around the SJU Airport area and San Juan city.

People are in such dire conditions they are stealing copper from the phones lines and around cell towers. 95 percent of the cellular coverage was knocked off line. Things are slowly coming online but the power grid still off line.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what good it would do to steal copper. Who would buy it and what would they pay for it? Food? Water? Sounds like the folks who would steal wire anyway are just taking advantage of the situation.
    Neville Ray posted some pictures of an Antonov 124 loaded with service trucks headed for PR.
    There's a sequence to recovery. First the roads have to be cleared of debris. Next, the basic function of the backhaul to the local switch has to be restored. In the case of PR's infrastructure, this may take some time. Then the sites can be fixed, as you can get to them. In some cases, crews may have to cut their way into the sites. Assuming that the sites already have backup generators (which in the case of PR would seem reasonable) keeping them fueled would be a big issue.

Let us know if your T-Mobile phone is roaming any other carriers when you are there.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score

Currently on the flight going down. Spoke to a couple first responders onboard. They said all networks have open up all roaming. Att and T-Mobile are allowing roaming on each other’s network. Going to find out if Claro’s network allows roaming.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackdad View Post
    Currently on the flight going down. Spoke to a couple first responders onboard. They said all networks have open up all roaming. Att and T-Mobile are allowing roaming on each other’s network. Going to find out if Claro’s network allows roaming.
    T-Mobile has opened up roaming on Claro's network, so you should be able to use it where available.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just remember that texts get through when calls and data don't.

P.S. If it's not too late, could you report back on which charities seem most active on the ground.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 09-26-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/h...-maria-support

T-Mobile offers service to help connect with loved ones in Puerto Rico

We understand that it’s extremely concerning when you can’t reach friends and loved ones after a natural disaster. While we work to repair the damage caused by Hurricane Maria, we want to help you connect with those who mean the most to you.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Provide the number of who you want to reach in Puerto Rico.
    2. Provide your name and number (so that we can let the person know who is trying to reach them).
    3. If this person is a T-Mobile customer, we’ll send a text message with your name and number. The customer will receive the text as soon as he/she has a connection to the network (this could take a few days, but they’ll get the message).

https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/h...-maria-support
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score

Just left the island. Could not use tmo for much. ATT was the saving grace. Was allowed to roam on them but data was non existent. When roaming on ATT voice circuits are overloaded and sometimes kicks you off the network. ATT was the solid coverage choice for the island. PR is a total mess. FeDEx and UPS landed today. Terminal C only operating.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...n_puerto_rico/

Multiple communication facilities in the metropolitan area are back online. More work is being done to get service back

As promised, the engineering team is working with the armed forces to install a 500KW generator to help radar services at Luis Muñoz Marín

International Airport in San Juan to bring back flights to the Island.

Yesterday and last Saturday, 4 MD11s, 3 Airplanes with engineers and natural disaster experts, and an AN-124 Cargo Plane were sent carrying a total of 80 generators, 16 trucks, equipment for 100 communication facilities, and supplies for the Island. More planes are being sent with equipment and technical assistance.

The damage of infrastructure is unprecedented, and work on all carriers needs to be done. T-Mobile PR is allowing customers to roam on other local carriers, free of charge, as work is being done. Make sure to restart your phone if you haven't activated roaming yet. Roaming will be through whatever carrier is available in that area.

T-Mobile employees should call their fellow co-workers to make sure everyone is ok. Anyone in the Metro Area should head to the T-Mobile center in Guaynabo between 9:30a and 4:00p or call 787-277-3680. All T-Mobile PR Stores are closed for the time being.

Anyone that needs customer service can call 611 or 1-877-937-8997

https://t-mobilepr.com/tmobiletips will contain important tips to help communicate to loved ones from PR, as well as other important information.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Until further notice T-Mobile will NOT disconnect T-Mo Puerto Rico customers for non payment:

https://t-mobilepr.com/maria (It's in Spanish)

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Going back down and see if tmo has set up the cows in San Juan this Sunday. Hopefully the items shipped in the AN124 has been set up.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Are they even letting non-essential personnel into PR? I'd think they would want anybody that has no good reason to be there, to not come. What a horrible disaster, and it will be for months and years, I feel bad for them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Are they even letting non-essential personnel into PR? I'd think they would want anybody that has no good reason to be there, to not come.
    I'm sure anyone who is currently traveling there is doing something essential. It would be ridiculous to try to go on a pleasure trip there now with the limited resources available.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I'm sure anyone who is currently traveling there is doing something essential. It would be ridiculous to try to go on a pleasure trip there now with the limited resources available.
    Mackdad travels so much I just assumed he worked for an airline.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    I am actually taking food and supplies down. I was at 15 missing family members. I am down to only three. Even if they are off the island since the local switch is down calls don’t get routed back to mainland. I have friends from Puerto Rico who are in Florida and North Carolina and can not make or receive calls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast