Thread: Wi-Fi calling fails on my antique Gold Rewards device, an LG Optimus T

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wi-Fi calling fails on my antique Gold Rewards device, an LG Optimus T

I have a modern phone on Google Project Fi, and then on my legacy gold rewards plan I have an LG Optimus T, also called LG-P509 . The android version is 2.2.2 . One excuse for keeping the legacy PAYGO plan has been that it it did work on T-Mobile's proprietary Wi-Fi calling. My own home has a strong T-mo GSM signal, but I visit one area where the wi-fi calling is needed and always worked.

Now I get various error messages when I try to enable wi-fi calling. There is a "Not Registered" warning. "You are currently not registered with the T-Mobile network. Would you like to register ... ?"

I tap the button to register, then various activity messages display, ending with an error: "W005.1 ISP Error Retry." I think at times the exact error message is different. I'm not listing all progress and error messages.

Wi-fi does work. Using the wifi connection, YouTube shows videos with today's date.

Has T-mobile updated something, such that my old version of Android and wi-fi calling don't work? To re-enable wi-fi calling, would it be best to get a newer phone? I need to buy the phone from T-Mo in order to have the wi-fi calling, does that sound right?

Any newer phone will probably call for a smaller SIM. Is it normal and easy to get a new sim under legacy Gold Rewards? After a time I'd want to get the phone unlocked; I've done that the old way in which they emailed me a code.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
    Last edited by JimWorthey; 09-26-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    As far as changing to smaller SIM, I did that a while back. Just bought a prepaid sim kit back when they were doing the 99 cents specials.

Called Tmo cs and got it done.

Most, if not all new Tmo(and MetroPcs) phones have what's called the Device Unlock app pre-installed. When the phone becomes eligible for unlock, you just use the app. No numbers, codes, or any other communication with Tmo required.

You can probably find YouTube videos demonstrating the procedure. Never done it, yet, but I read it is very simple. I will get to try it on my new Metro phone in a few months(Tmo and Metro have different unlocking terms/requirements).

Someone else will have to chime in on the wifi calling.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Lumia 640
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, T-Mobile Prepaid, Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile shut down its UMA (proprietary Wi-Fi) calling in March of this year. Your phone will only be able to call over a cellular signal. See this T-Mobile support page for details.
    Trying to come up with some sort of signature line...

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    @Mr. D. Thanks, I did not know that. I see my trusty Nokia Astound doesn't support Wi-Fi calling anymore either. I keep it around to SIM swap to when I don't want to carry my giant phablet around.

@JimWhorthey Yes, I believe you'll need to buy a T-Mobile branded phone with a few expensive exceptions for Wi-Fi calling to work. And no, it's not particularly easy to change SIM cards anymore on Legacy PAYGO. I just helped this person out at the T-Mobile support forum. If your new phone comes with a unactivated SIM card it should be easier.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/141556

Unlock Eligibility for Prepaid Phones and Tablets
    •The device has been active on the T-Mobile network for more than 1 year.
    •If the device has been active for less than 1 year, then the Prepaid account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for smartphones or tablet since device first use date.
    •T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

@gwite Thanks! The unlock app actually worked! I was sure it wouldn't on a grandfathered Legacy plan. I connected via Wi-Fi and was unlocked in a few minutes. I have had my new phablet for over a year.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you gwite, Mr. D., and Beejer for 3 helpful answers.

Now I'm left with possibly buying a phone. If a new model is not on the list at https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33925 , does that mean wi-fi calling will work?

If I buy a phone, I might splurge on a model that's better than needed for voice-only PayGo. A good phone could always be used for outgoing calls with a voice app such as Skype or whatever is the replacement for Hangouts Dialer. It could also be used on an MVNO, especially if Gold Rewards disappears. Or used with a data-only sim on Fi.

But, a benefit of the old phone is that it's physically small. Are there any small phones being sold? Per GSMarena, my old Optimus T has dimensions 113.5 x 59 x 13.3 mm (4.47 x 2.32 x 0.52 in) . Fits in a little holster on my belt.

Keeping in mind the original goal of using T-Mobile wifi calling, can anybody suggest a new device? Thanks.
    Last edited by JimWorthey; 09-26-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    The Moto G5 Plus works great with T-Mobile WIFI Calling and VoLTE. Nice thing is it is factory unlocked and will work with all US carriers.

Sent from my SM-T580 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    The Moto G5 Plus works great with T-Mobile WIFI Calling and VoLTE. Nice thing is it is factory unlocked and will work with all US carriers.
    Thank you. I wouldn't have known or guessed about the Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. Very attractive phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I just use a free WiFi calling app called "text now". I can call or text anywhere in US or Can. totally for free. They give you your own phone number so you can even receive calls too. Has been working good for me!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    I just use a free WiFi calling app called "text now". I can call or text anywhere in US or Can. totally for free. They give you your own phone number so you can even receive calls too. Has been working good for me!
    I looked up textnow to see the details. I would probably need to get a new device to run textnow or to make good use of my favorite similar app, Hangouts Dialer. The Moto G5+ (discussed above) would handle the T-mo wifi calling and also handle calls to and from the Project Fi number via Hangouts Dialer, when wifi is available. Probably, although I haven't tried it. So cool!