Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possibly switching to the GoUnlimited - few questions

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Possibly switching to the GoUnlimited - few questions

So as Iíve been reading and reading about the new unlimited plans, the more Iím afraid of things. Only reason I was considering it was because one of my lines is eligible for an upgrade but need to switch to the unlimited in order to get the $300 promo.

Iím currently on the 12GB plan, 2GB promo data with carryover. Every cycle I have between 16-20 GB of data at the start of the cycle. Average total monthly usage on the account is like 6-8 GB. Donít need unlimited really but just wanna make sure I understand this. Please tell me if Iím correct.

1.) de-prioritization can occur at any point during the cycle, regardless of how much data Iíve used before the 22GB cap.

2.) video streaming (YouTube and Netflix) will be stuck at 480p at all times. (No high def videos anymore regardless of the cap?

3.) how slow are we talking here? I usually see 50-100 Mbps download speeds depending on location.

4.) how can I tell if my market is saturated (north NJ). Last thing I want is to be throttled all the time. I thought it was only after 22GB, and only temporary depending on network traffic. This sounds like it can potentially be all day depending on the area and network.

Anyone else in north NJ with the new unlimited plan have any real world experience with it on a day to day to let me know how bad this actually may be? Some people here say they never even notice a speed decrease. Others say itís dead slow. Iím not streaming video 24/7. But I am more concerned with normal LTE browsing creeping to a halt when i need it most. A slowdown every now and then is understandable however consistent slowdowns vs what I have now would be a complete sham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Go unlimited is 480p on smartphone, 720p on tablet. 480p is limited to 3mbps i believe. This isn't fully implemented in all areas yet.

Other than that you are correct. Also hotspot is limited to 600kbps

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I believe we've discovered that VZW defines 480p as 1.5mbps. You'll also see 3.8mbps speed tests out there. Those are for tiered plans or Beyond Unlimited, which is 720p.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So has anyone noticed these ďdrawbacksĒ as so obvious it would deter you from getting the plan again? I wonít be able to switch back to the 12GB plan. Iím more worried about data deprioritization and having my speeds decreased all the time.

If I were to fire up YouTube or Netflix now, what does it stream at?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    If I were to fire up YouTube or Netflix now, what does it stream at?
    If your area has the video throttle deployed, you're getting 720p on your current plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    GoUnlimited is deprioritized right from the start. There is no 22 GB cap or threshold.

Video being "480p" would probably be about 1.5 Mbps like mentioned before. As of right now video throttling isn't implemented in most areas, including yours.

Your area has an insane amount of capacity, I doubt you'll ever notice depri happening unless you somehow get stuck on B13 inside somewhere, or are in Manhattan at rush hour (and even then I bet you wouldn't notice).

If it doesn't work out for you, you can always bump it up to Beyond Unlimited which does give you prioritized data until you reach 22 GB's, plus HD video and 15 GB's of high speed tethering.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmmmmm I guess that was my main question. Will I even notice a prioritization issue or would I even ever be deprioritized due to the state of the network in my market. The regular unlimited seems like a gamble. Would the extra money for the other one be worth it. Or would the chances of being slowed down so slim that it wonít matter

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Be careful- once you don't have to limit yourself your usage goes way up... but enjoy!

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Be careful- once you don't have to limit yourself your usage goes way up... but enjoy!
    Amen brother. My family of 7 used to split 30GB per month. Now I use that by myself just watching Youtube videos and browsing.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    will the video quality really be noticeable?

i spoke with verizon and they agreed theres no way to judge how bad prioritization effects my area other than from current users. so anyone else have feedback on how bad it is?

Feedback Score
    will the video quality really be noticeable?

i spoke with verizon and they agreed theres no way to judge how bad prioritization effects my area other than from current users. so anyone else have feedback on how bad it is?
    Some people on Reddit had speeds around 1 Mbps. That is merely anecdotal though, but in their area it was horrible. Video quality I suppose depends on you and your device. I notice a difference between 720/1080p and 480p, but I also notice a difference between 128Kbps and 10Mbps - some people claim that they canít tell a difference.

480p isnít bad, it just isnít great and it isnít as good as what is available. DVD quality is 480p.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i think i may just keep the 12GB plan with carryover. seems like the unlimited is too risky and unnecessary for me to upgrade to just to get the promotion. I can get the phone as an upgrade and my plan will only increase by $4 without the promotion.

Feedback Score
    i think i may just keep the 12GB plan with carryover. seems like the unlimited is too risky and unnecessary for me to upgrade to just to get the promotion. I can get the phone as an upgrade and my plan will only increase by $4 without the promotion.
    Itís not that great of a promotion, so you arenít missing out. Best case scenario is you would get a $100 premium for your phone if you were planning to trade in an iPhone 6 with a $200 value, the other phones are all worth the same $300 or more on the private market. Samís Club is offering a $100 gift card for in store purchase and activation though, which is probably a better deal for most people anyway.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So i ended up going to Verizon today and expressed by concerns about the unlimited plan. the rep offered me the 16GB plan even though its not advertised online (currently have the 12) for $90. On top of that, I have 2GB promo data for life, so that equates to 18GB per month. Then factor in carryover (we only use about 7GB per month anyways) and that should put us over 20GB per month easy of prioritized data.

We then took my 15% employee discount off the account and added hers which is 22%. That dropped the new data plan to $70 from $90 (previous plan with my discount was $68). So more GB for $2 more a month. Her iPhone 6 was $31.50 per month, buying the iPhone 8 dropped it to $29 a month. So in the end, im getting much more data for the same exact money i was paying before. No need to worry about the deprioritization and the stupid unlimited plan. We got to pay off and keep the iPhone 6 as the $300 promo sucks.

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's awesome! I think you made an excellent selection. Those unadvertised plans are really pretty awesome. I can't comprehend why they refuse to show them on the website. Anyhow, glad you were able to make it cost effective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast