Thread: The Sprint SIM card shuffle! Everyone on three!

Feedback Score

The Sprint SIM card shuffle! Everyone on three!

This is part rant and part question.

Can anyone point me to a thread on everything A to Z with Sprint SIM cards?

I bought an unlocked s8+ on CL which turned out to be a great deal. Unlocked with July receipt from Best Buy. The SIM card from my unlocked Moto X Pure wouldn't work. A third party Sprint store which by far wasn't a winky-dink location didn't have the right SIM card for me. I run to Best Buy and they didn't have the right SIM card.

Does T-Mobile know what they're getting themselves into? I'm assuming a corporate store will have a SIM that will work on this device but I wouldn't put anything past Sprint. What is the deal with this company and multiple SIM cards? I had the same issue when I dabbled with a V20. The Moto X Pure card wouldn't work in it either.

OLED 4 Life! The Madness!

- Unlocked S8+ (Sprint 1 year free service!)
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Ultimate Sprint hater returns for free service. Who woulda thought? Cricket....see you again in 12 months!
    Super Cookie tastes good Verizon users? Chocolate chip or sugar?

Feedback Score
    Here is one basic issue with Sprint.

The phone and sim (MEID/IMEI and ICCID) are "married" and one cannot hot swap sims.

It is possible to reuse deactivated sims but it is not best practice.

In the Sprint system ideally the phone and sim should stay together.

If one is activating a phone on Sprint for the first time and needs a sim there are several places to get them from.

One of the best is Ting which sells sims for most devices. For iOS users, the Apple Store will (usually) provide the sim for free.

Best Buy Mobile sometimes has sims in stock but it is hit or miss.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    This is part rant and part question.

Can anyone point me to a thread on everything A to Z with Sprint SIM cards?

I bought an unlocked s8+ on CL which turned out to be a great deal. Unlocked with July receipt from Best Buy. The SIM card from my unlocked Moto X Pure wouldn't work. A third party Sprint store which by far wasn't a winky-dink location didn't have the right SIM card for me. I run to Best Buy and they didn't have the right SIM card.

Does T-Mobile know what they're getting themselves into? I'm assuming a corporate store will have a SIM that will work on this device but I wouldn't put anything past Sprint. What is the deal with this company and multiple SIM cards? I had the same issue when I dabbled with a V20. The Moto X Pure card wouldn't work in it either.
    The correct sim for S8+ is 416Q (either of SIMOLW416Q or SIMGLW416Q will work). I have an S8+ by the way.

This sim is also included in the BOOST Mobile BYOD Sim kit which you can buy at Best Buy.

Or you can order the bare sim from Twigby for $2.99.

The concept of sims is different with Sprint. The sim stays with the phone. You can move a phone between all Sprint MVNO's and Sprint itself without ever touching the phone's sim, without the annoying need to continually run around obtaining new sims. Sims never expire and are not specific to a given MVNO or subsidiary. With a universal phone (like you got) you do have to buy a sim one time, it is true. All Sprint phones come with the right sim already and it never needs to be touched. It is just pros and cons, that's all.
    Last edited by comintel; 09-27-2017 at 01:05 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Moto E4, BLU R1
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket & Sprint (free 1yr)
    Feedback Score
    You need to get a SIM card that is compatible with your phone -- Ting has part numbers listed by phone model:
    https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Your-SIM-Card

You'll need SIMGLW416Q for an S8+ -- you can call Sprint stores in your area to see if they'll sell you a SIM card by itself and how much they'll charge

I didn't want to deal with their stores so I went ahead and bought a $10 Boost triple SIM kit from BB (comes with SIMOLW416Q + SIMOLW506C + SIMOLW506TQ SIM cards inside)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mo...?skuId=5887020

You can also buy on eBay/Amazon (search for the SIM part number) or Twigby if you can wait for shipping:
    https://www.twigby.com/shop/twigby-phones/simcards

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    Does T-Mobile know what they're getting themselves into?
    I think everyone knows T-Mo will be flushing most of Sprint's joke of a network down the toilet and assimilating the LTE parts into their own modernized infrastructure that can handle advanced 1990's functionality like swapping a SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I think everyone knows T-Mo will be flushing most of Sprint's joke of a network down the toilet and assimilating the LTE parts into their own modernized infrastructure that can handle advanced 1990's functionality like swapping a SIM card.
    From your keyboard to God's ears.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaTaN View Post

I didn't want to deal with their stores so I went ahead and bought a $10 Boost triple SIM kit from BB (comes with SIMOLW416Q + SIMOLW506C + SIMOLW506TQ SIM cards inside)
    What the heck device uses the SIMOLW506TQ or what is the functionality of the 506TQ over the 506C?
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Moto E4, BLU R1
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    What the heck device uses the SIMOLW506TQ or what is the functionality of the 506TQ over the 506C?
    Searched earlier to see what it was for but didn't find anything -- my guess would be that they're trying to future-proof the SIM kit so they're including the SIM now for future devices

The 416 SIM has C & Q versions for diff devices: https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Your-SIM-Card

506C/506TC is alrdy being supported so my guess is that eventually there will devices out for 506Q/506TQ

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaTaN View Post
    Searched earlier to see what it was for but didn't find anything -- my guess would be that they're trying to future-proof the SIM kit so they're including the SIM now for future devices

The 416 SIM has C & Q versions for diff devices: https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Your-SIM-Card

506C/506TC is alrdy being supported so my guess is that eventually there will devices out for 506Q/506TQ
    I take it the Sprint BYOD "kit" that you used to purchase on line and came with the SIMOLW506C is now the just the same 3 SIM kit that Boost sells?

It is definitely not getting any less confusing!

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Moto E4, BLU R1
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    I take it the Sprint BYOD "kit" that you used to purchase on line and came with the SIMOLW506C is now the just the same 3 SIM kit that Boost sells?

It is definitely not getting any less confusing!
    Not sure if the Sprint kit has changed -- I think its still a single SIM