Thread: Cheapest SIM/Plan only for unlocking my Cricket phone?

Feedback Score

Cheapest SIM/Plan only for unlocking my Cricket phone?

Apparently, I need to put in a SIM from a different carrier to unlock my Samsung S6 from Cricket? And then I put in the unlock code? What is the cheapest option for me to get this done (outside of borrowing someone elses sim)?

Feedback Score
    do you still have cricket service ?? if so just upgrade to the $ 60 unlimited plan - get the phone unlocked and then you
    can downgrade to a cheaper plan if you wish.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tcnorthstars View Post
    Apparently, I need to put in a SIM from a different carrier to unlock my Samsung S6 from Cricket? And then I put in the unlock code? What is the cheapest option for me to get this done (outside of borrowing someone elses sim)?
    You can get a Tracfone BYOP SIM kit for $1.00 at several places, including Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=4596900

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tcnorthstars View Post
    Tracfone activation kit for $1. They are usually available at Best Buy. Put in the CDMA (Verizon) SIM to trigger the unlock dialog. I have done this with a GoPhone that AT&T gave me the unlock code for.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Wait...what? You're saying you have the activation unlock code already from Cricket and you just need to insert a non-cricket sim to get the phone to tell you to enter the code? If so, just borrow any non-cricket sim from a friend. (why spend money for something that will take a minute to do)
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Wait...what? You're saying you have the activation unlock code already from Cricket and you just need to insert a non-cricket sim to get the phone to tell you to enter the code? If so, just borrow any non-cricket sim from a friend. (why spend money for something that will take a minute to do)
    It has to be a non-AT&T or non-AT&T MVNO SIM. T-Mo, Verizon, Sprint and international SIMs will work.

[Edit] This may be incorrect. eggsalad reported being able to unlock a cricket phone with a H2O SIM.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 09-26-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    Lycamobile (T-Mobile MVNO) SIM cards are bidding for less than a dollar on eBay with free shipping.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It has to be a non-AT&T or non-AT&T MVNO SIM. T-Mo, Verizon, Sprint and international SIMs will work.
    That's not my experience. I got the unlock code from Cricket and used an H2O SIM to unlock my phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
    That's not my experience. I got the unlock code from Cricket and used an H2O SIM to unlock my phone.
    Ok, it may be different for Cricket. My experience was with a GoPhone. The unlock dialog did not appear with a Tracfone AT&T SIM. A Tracfone Verizon SIM did work.

Feedback Score
    TPO will mail you a sim for free.
    H2O sims are on Amazon for $0.01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    You can get a Tracfone BYOP SIM kit for $1.00 at several places, including Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...?skuId=4596900
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Tracfone activation kit for $1. They are usually available at Best Buy. Put in the CDMA (Verizon) SIM to trigger the unlock dialog. I have done this with a GoPhone that AT&T gave me the unlock code for.
    Thanks! I ordered one on Amazon for $1.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Newer to the area and don't have any friends where I think it would be an appropriate request. Besides, it is only a buck for the tracphone sim and free 2day shipping on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    TPO will mail you a sim for free.
    H2O sims are on Amazon for $0.01.
    Had already picked up a tracphone sim before I saw this. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone(Verizon) Tracfone (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Maybe this will help, NO sim needed.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...3#post16757823

Unlocking without SIM

I found this to unlock without SIM present:

"For those who are trying to unlock this phone, please note that you do not actually need a SIM card from another carrier just to be able to unlock. I bought a few of these last time when it went on sale:

1. Switch phone on with no SIM card
    2. Tap the Dialer.
    3. As if making a call press 2945#*371# to access the hidden unlock menu.
    4. Select Network lock
    5. Enter the unlock code.
    6. Click Done.
    7. Click Unlock.