Thread: International Plans

Device(s)
    iPhone 7/7+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score

International Plans

Does anyone have a breakdown of T-Mobile’s International Plans. I even have a prepay line login I trialed a month ago and I am struggling to find solid information. I am thinking of finally moving a post-paid line over, but T-Mobile’s international offerings I have seen seem lacking. The free offering speed is too slow for use and I saw some small data buckets, but they didn’t seem to include voice and texts.

What I would really be interested in is hearing about Day Plan type packages if they have them. I appreciate any insight.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    Does anyone have a breakdown of T-Mobile’s International Plans. I even have a prepay line login I trialed a month ago and I am struggling to find solid information. I am thinking of finally moving a post-paid line over, but T-Mobile’s international offerings I have seen seem lacking. The free offering speed is too slow for use and I saw some small data buckets, but they didn’t seem to include voice and texts.

What I would really be interested in is hearing about Day Plan type packages if they have them. I appreciate any insight.
    Aside from the free offering (free texts, free throttled data and $0.20 minute calling in certain countries), you're likely better off just getting a local SIM in order to get faster data speeds. I don't think they really offer high speed data buckets for international roaming.

Feedback Score
    The only thing I can add is that you can buy a Data Pass on a ONE plan for $20 that offers 1Gb of high speed international data, good for 10 days of use. Not particularly cheap, but quick and easy. It will save you the trouble of trying to find a sim in a foreign country with the inherent language, currency, and time issues that may entail.

I'd like to see them step up their game and offer a little more variety. Maybe something like 3Gb for $50 good for 30 days or so. It's still better than Verizon's $10 a day for a 500Mb a day cap, that uses your plan data besides!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. It is odd that they have do not have more variety.

So with the Data Pass - every time I go over a gig it is $20, but have access to high speed in certain countries. That could work as I am in Wi-Fi enough to limit usage to 1 to 3 gigs.

I do use a local sim in a secondary phone, but need to retain use of my phone number on my main line.

Thanks again for the info.

Feedback Score
    Not exactly. If you purchase 1Gb for $20 then you will fall back to 128 or 256kbps after the 1Gb is consumed. You will not be continuously charged for whatever amount you use. Your high speed 1Gb plan works in the countries that the free data service works.

I travel with two prepaid data plans and use a spare phone as a hotspot. I may cut back on at least one of the plans since the new T-Mobile $20 plan is slightly cheaper and easy to use. I'm on the ONE Plus Promo also which gives my lines 256kbps vs. the basic 128kbps data speeds. It really seems much faster, and I find myself needing high speed a lot less with the 256 service.

A possible solution to your situation is, if you can hotspot off of your local sim phone, why not just connect your main phone via WiFi to that sim service? It's what I do for free WiFi calls to and from the US while roaming internationally. This configuration works well, and you can even provide calls and data for a small group of travelers via the hotspot.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any better options for business customers? I will have to look into my company’s promos to see if we have any international travel deals with them.

Thanks again for the help

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile should work with high speed in Canada and Mexico... I can't state for other countries. There is a Tmolbile One Plus plan that adds high speed. https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Tmobile should work with high speed in Canada and Mexico... I can't state for other countries. There is a Tmolbile One Plus plan that adds high speed. https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    The ONE Plus does not add high speed data to roaming service. You need a Data Pass to do that. The ONE Plus add-ons give GoGo service and 256kbps data speeds to ONE lines.

Feedback Score
    I am lucky enough to have the three lines for $80 with the free line promo and hookup. I also got the free One Plus upgrade as a part of that promo.

I just visited England, France, Spain and Italy for two weeks. Web browsing, while a *bit* slow, was excellent. I used my phone at 256KB to browse the web, post photos to Facebook, stream Pandora and IHeart Radio, send and receive email, use Google Maps and more. I even downloaded new apps onto my phone!

At no time did I feel "restricted" by the slower 256KB speeds. I ended up using 2.6GB of roaming on my line alone while in Europe over the course of 16 days!

My cost to T-Mobile for this roaming? Nothing above my normal monthly charge.

I highly recommend trying One Plus before using a separate local SIM with a different phone number just to get a bit better speeds. It should work fine for anything except video streaming.

And if you do need higher speeds at any particular point, just find the nearest wifi network.

Feedback Score
    I agree.

I recently spent a few weeks in Europe and also have the ONE Plus Promo on my lines. The 256kbps data stream seems much faster than double the old 128kpbs service I had. I generally travel with a few data only sims, but I'm now giving that second thoughts because of the 256 and also the 1Gb for $20 Data Pass. Most decent hotels around the world have decent WiFi so the only time data is needed is out and about. You can hotspot a spare line and use that for WiFi calling if you need your primary cell number to be active while internationally roaming. This is all soooo much better than just a year ago.

I hope the Sprint merger doesn't screw it up!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I agree.

I recently spent a few weeks in Europe and also have the ONE Plus Promo on my lines. The 256kbps data stream seems much faster than double the old 128kpbs service I had. I generally travel with a few data only sims, but I'm now giving that second thoughts because of the 256 and also the 1Gb for $20 Data Pass. Most decent hotels around the world have decent WiFi so the only time data is needed is out and about. You can hotspot a spare line and use that for WiFi calling if you need your primary cell number to be active while internationally roaming. This is all soooo much better than just a year ago.

I hope the Sprint merger doesn't screw it up!
    Sprint has the best pricing in terms of international roaming. $25 for high speed unlimited data for a week. That’s one thing I hope tmobile picks up with sprint

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
    I am lucky enough to have the three lines for $80 with the free line promo and hookup. I also got the free One Plus upgrade as a part of that promo.

I just visited England, France, Spain and Italy for two weeks. Web browsing, while a *bit* slow, was excellent. I used my phone at 256KB to browse the web, post photos to Facebook, stream Pandora and IHeart Radio, send and receive email, use Google Maps and more. I even downloaded new apps onto my phone!

At no time did I feel "restricted" by the slower 256KB speeds. I ended up using 2.6GB of roaming on my line alone while in Europe over the course of 16 days!

My cost to T-Mobile for this roaming? Nothing above my normal monthly charge.

I highly recommend trying One Plus before using a separate local SIM with a different phone number just to get a bit better speeds. It should work fine for anything except video streaming.

And if you do need higher speeds at any particular point, just find the nearest wifi network.
    My brother was in South Africa for 2 months on the One Plus International Plan. He came back and raved about how well the data services worked and of course his bill. (He ported from AT&T and was used to hundreds or thousands of dollars in excess roaming charges when he traveled). He used WiFi calling from the hotel to avoid per minute voice roaming fees.

He's not a hard core user but for getting around it worked great.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score

International Plans

When intl data came out it was 120 countries and later added 20 more. The Americas and Europe is mostly covered, some of Asia and South Pacific/Australia covered. Only place I see lacking is in Africa. This intl plane has been a place for while. Research would should there is no gotcha fees when you come back. As long as you remember it’s .20 cents a minute for a voice call. A 5 min call should only add a dollar to your bill.