Thread: Wonder if T-Mobile will use HPUE tech like Sprint does on 2.5 Ghz?

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wonder if T-Mobile will use HPUE tech like Sprint does on 2.5 Ghz?

Wonder if T-Mobile will continue using HPUE (High Power User Equipment) to extend their Sprint 2.5 Ghz spectrum if the deal goes through. HPUE isn't on the tower equipment it is on the customer phone only, in the form of higher amplified transmitter signal to the tower. Sprint didn't invent HPUE that some people think. China Mobile also uses HPUE as well as others outside the USA. The issue I have with HPUE is it safe since a cell phone is a tiny microwave you are holding to the side of your brain. There is a reason the FCC limits the power output from your phone so that you don't fry your brain.

Remember Neville Ray being ask about implementing HPUE and he said that he had seen no proof that is works better in the real world. Only Sprint is using HPUE in the USA but I'm not sure if the FCC has allowed HPUE on anything but the spectrum Sprint owns.

Understanding HPUE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Wonder if T-Mobile will continue using HPUE (High Power User Equipment) to extend their Sprint 2.5 Ghz spectrum if the deal goes through. HPUE isn't on the tower equipment it is on the customer phone only, in the form of higher amplified transmitter signal to the tower. Sprint didn't invent HPUE that some people think. China Mobile also uses HPUE as well as others outside the USA. The issue I have with HPUE is it safe since a cell phone is a tiny microwave you are holding to the side of your brain. There is a reason the FCC limits the power output from your phone so that you don't fry your brain.

Remember Neville Ray being ask about implementing HPUE and he said that he had seen no proof that is works better in the real world. Only Sprint is using HPUE in the USA but I'm not sure if the FCC has allowed HPUE on anything but the spectrum Sprint owns.

Understanding HPUE
    Doubtful. In the long run, after T-Mo gets any remaining former Sprint subscribers off CDMA, CDMA will be shutdown and everything will be the standard whatever technology T-Mo uses by then.

Just my guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Doubtful. In the long run, after T-Mo gets any remaining former Sprint subscribers off CDMA, CDMA will be shutdown and everything will be the standard whatever technology T-Mo uses by then.
    But Sprint doesn't uses 2.5 Ghz spectrum for CDMA. So shutting down CDMA wouldn't have any effect on HPUE and 2.5GHz spectrum.

Since Sprint has so much 2.5 GHz spectrum, it would make sense for T-Mobile to use it to boost capacity eventually.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Wonder if T-Mobile will use HPUE tech like Sprint does on 2.5 Ghz?

I doubt T-Mobile would need to keep HPUE turned up, since they will probably deploy a dense enough network that it'll be unnecessary.

HPUE is a bandaid designed to fix the fact that Sprint's network is only spaced for CDMA PCS and not BRS LTE.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    But Sprint doesn't uses 2.5 Ghz spectrum for CDMA. So shutting down CDMA wouldn't have any effect on HPUE and 2.5GHz spectrum.

Since Sprint has so much 2.5 GHz spectrum, it would make sense for T-Mobile to use it to boost capacity eventually.
    So Sprint's 2.5 Ghz spectrum is pure LTE like T-Mobile's Band 12? Good to know since that would be able to be used by T-Mobile as soon as the deal closes. Since it is the Sprint's customer Cell phones that have the HPUE that increases the power transmitted by the cell phone when it connects to the Spectrum band that is Sprints 2.5Ghz (Don't know Band #) , I sure don't see the new company disabling HPUE on the Sprints customers phones that paid for that HPUE tech.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 09-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Feedback Score
    Sprint says HPUE exists on certain devices and should make a difference, but I see no evidence of its existence nor effectiveness on my U11.

Feedback Score
    band that is Sprints 2.5Ghz (Don't know Band #) ,
    Band 41. .

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Understanding HPUE
    Sorry for being a little off topic, but it was also approved for band 14, the spectrum that is part of the FirstNet deal. The ue is supposed to be able to transmit up to 34 dBm I believe, as opposed to the standard 23 on all other bands.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app