Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Iphone se

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 37721 View Post
    I gave this phone one more try. Again I used the online chat. After resetting the phone & trying many other things, it still said "activation required", I asked the customer service person if he could transfer to a different sim (the sim that came with the phone). He checked & came back with it won't transfer. Next I said let's try this new tracfone sim I have. He came back & said transfer successful. Still no service. The phone with an inactive sim boots up correctly to the home screen & says "service needed". With the active sim, it starts the redundant "activation required" & you can't even get to the home screen. So.. this phone goes back.. (customer service says I have a bad phone.... unlikely) P.S. I have had many tracfones for 15 yrs & I know the issues & downfalls when dealing with customer service.... But, for mild usage, the price can't be beat.
    Was this a Tmobile sim? Tmobile Tracfone sims won't work in these Iphones. What you report is what happened when I tried a Tmobile sim.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    All were verizon carrier... Three sims were tracfone & one was the straight talk that came with the phone. The first sim I used was activated & working on a moto e phone before it was installed in the iphone. The straight talk is the one that could not be activated.

Feedback Score
    I had to bite on this. The SE was $129 after some struggle - rose gold, and I'm upgrading from a 5. The hardware difference is HUGE.

SIM swapped the VZW BYOP into the SE and it all seemed to work (no loop no nothing), until I tried LTE - got an error, can't access network.

After a bit of work I found a site to reconfigure APN - choose country, enter an APN code and create a custom APN. IT FIXED IT. THEN I WENT TO BED and lost the link to that site....... lame

Anyone recognize this can provide link? For future...

For the OP, I think the phone was fizzed. It should have gotten further.

I have to say though, if you want a small footprint apple the SE for this price is hard to beat.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

iPhone SE, sold as Straight Talk, set up as Tracfone

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm not sure why the CSR couldn't transfer the service from your existing SIM to the SIM that came installed in the iPhone SE. When my dad purchased a ST/TW iPhone 5s a little over a year ago, he called PPC and they transferred the service from his old phone to the new ST/TW iPhone 5s with no trouble.

My son just purchased a ST/TW 32GB iPhone SE from Walmart for $129 and did a SIM swap from his 5 year old iPhone 5. He uses TW. There were no issues and everything works as expected.
    I also just bought the ST iPhone SE at Walmart. I had a BYOP iPhone 5s with a large Tracfone balance on it. I used TF's chat to ask the rep to transfer my number and balance to the ST phone. He had me insert the new SIM that came with the ST phone. (From its prefix, it seems to be a Verizon SIM.) After he did the transfer, the new phone had my old number and balance, and its status bar showed "TFW". The previous BYOP SIM stayed in the old phone.

The only hassle was on the Apple end. My old 5s was running iOS 10.3.3 (with APFS), and I'd backed it up to my Mac using iTunes 12.6. The new SE's installed iOS version was 10.3.1 (pre-APFS), and since Apple has deprecated 10.3.3, I couldn't just update the SE to that system. I needed to take it to the current iOS version, 11.0.1. I did the update directly on the phone over wifi to save time, after going through the on-phone steps to set it up as a new phone with my AppleID. However, iOS 11 requires iTunes 12.7, and that new version no longer syncs apps. You have to re-download apps from the App Store on the phone. So once I had iTunes 12.7 installed, I could use it to restore the old 5s's 10.3.3 backup onto the new SE running 11.0.1. The final part of the "restore" was actually waiting 1.5-2 hours for the SE to download all the (available) apps that had been on the 5s. (We have 4-6 Mbps DSL.) All the apps' data appeared on the new phone successfully, except of course for the 32-bit apps that had no 64-bit updates.

I sure wish I'd found this deal before iOS 11 was released, since that would've been less complicated. But I would've been moving to it eventually, so I'm past that annoyance now.

I'll be upgrading my wife's 5s to a new $129 SE later this week, and I hope it goes as smoothly.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorBill View Post
    I also just bought the ST iPhone SE at Walmart. I had a BYOP iPhone 5s with a large Tracfone balance on it. I used TF's chat to ask the rep to transfer my number and balance to the ST phone. He had me insert the new SIM that came with the ST phone. (From its prefix, it seems to be a Verizon SIM.) After he did the transfer, the new phone had my old number and balance, and its status bar showed "TFW". The previous BYOP SIM stayed in the old phone.

The only hassle was on the Apple end. My old 5s was running iOS 10.3.3 (with APFS), and I'd backed it up to my Mac using iTunes 12.6. The new SE's installed iOS version was 10.3.1 (pre-APFS), and since Apple has deprecated 10.3.3, I couldn't just update the SE to that system. I needed to take it to the current iOS version, 11.0.1. I did the update directly on the phone over wifi to save time, after going through the on-phone steps to set it up as a new phone with my AppleID. However, iOS 11 requires iTunes 12.7, and that new version no longer syncs apps. You have to re-download apps from the App Store on the phone. So once I had iTunes 12.7 installed, I could use it to restore the old 5s's 10.3.3 backup onto the new SE running 11.0.1. The final part of the "restore" was actually waiting 1.5-2 hours for the SE to download all the (available) apps that had been on the 5s. (We have 4-6 Mbps DSL.) All the apps' data appeared on the new phone successfully, except of course for the 32-bit apps that had no 64-bit updates.

I sure wish I'd found this deal before iOS 11 was released, since that would've been less complicated. But I would've been moving to it eventually, so I'm past that annoyance now.

I'll be upgrading my wife's 5s to a new $129 SE later this week, and I hope it goes as smoothly.
    If you backed up the with cloud instead of itunes it would have worked. I went through this going 5's to 5's. When I went to the 6's I used the cloud and did not have to update the ios.

Feedback Score
    Couldn't you just move the SIM from one phone to another? (Won't help with your syncing issues.)

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I still miss my se. Regret selling it

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I still miss my se. Regret selling it
    I have 2 SE's. My older one doesn't even have a sim in it and is used strictly to stream onto our TV. I just switched my simcard to a Tracfone branded SE purchased a couple of months ago. However - the Straight Talk SE from Walmart is a much better buy and comes with 32 GB.
    Just bought that one for $129 for my son for Xmas. He has the 5C and will be very happy with the upgrade and larger storage.

I keep trying to go with bigger phones but always come back to this size. Think maybe the 6S might be the perfect size. Could do without Apples constant updates - they just screw up more and more. Not happy with Ringtones and Apps vanishing.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    If you backed up the with cloud instead of itunes it would have worked. I went through this going 5's to 5's. When I went to the 6's I used the cloud and did not have to update the ios.
    Is that accomplished using a phone backup in itunes ?? I find itunes really awful/annoying to use.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    Is that accomplished using a phone backup in itunes ?? I find itunes really awful/annoying to use.
    No Itunes involved. It's in your phone settings. You can have a constant backup or choose backup now on old phone. Then on the new phone during set up choose backup from Icloud.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I ordered an se model from tracfone ($30 higher)... when it arrived I took the activated sim that I had previously tried in the straight talk phone & it would not activate in the tracfone either. Next, I went to the activation page, put in the serial number & sim number of the new phone & flawlessly transfered everything over to the new phone. Took the straight talk back to walmart & still can't explain why I couldn't get it working......

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 37721 View Post
    Took the straight talk back to walmart & still can't explain why I couldn't get it working......
    I have ordered 2 ST iphones from walmart - the first one would never work correctly with the simcard that
    came with it. The second one I ordered is the 32 GB SE - essentially drew a skull & crossbones on the simcard
    that came with that phone. Put an activated TF ATT simcard in the new walmart ST SE and it works perfectly.

Luckily, Walmart's return policy is excellent and I returned the first ST phone (along with the ST simcard.)

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    No Itunes involved. It's in your phone settings. You can have a constant backup or choose backup now on old phone. Then on the new phone during set up choose backup from Icloud.
    OK, Excellent !!! Did a factory reset on the new SE and then a iCloud backup from my previous SE which is now a spare/hook to TV phone. It took quite a long time to download everything but now I have my apps, ringtones, and
    pictures which were a real problem to get onto the new phone using itunes.

Apple just keeps making itunes more and more difficult to use. Can't hardly even drag items to your iphone as in the past. I don't really need their help in goofing things up !! Thanks for your help southchatham.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2