Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket requiring me to get a new SIM by Nov 10th??

Feedback Score

Cricket requiring me to get a new SIM by Nov 10th??

Anyone else get this? Around 7:45p EST, I got a simultaneous text on 4 of my 5 lines on my plan stating:

Hey (my name)! On November 10, a Cricket update will impact your service. You'll need to replace the SIM card in your phone to continue using our network. Register your mailing address and we'll send you a free SIM card. Click the link below. crktwrlsDOTcom/xJm6Ti

Considering it had my name and came to all but the newest of my lines (it's about a year old, the rest are several years old) at the same time, it seems legit.

Anyone know what this is all about?

-AngryHog
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Interesting...do you have an AIO sim card or the old Cricket (green) sim card?
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    It's legit. Cricket is migrating accounts from a slow external proxy (Jasper/Zayo/XO) to another slow internal proxy (AT&T). They were supposed to do this manually on all accounts over the past several months, except this isn't a exactly top-tier carrier. They got cheap, ran out of time/money, so they decided that its now your responsibility to do their job. Its downright dishonest they make customers go through this process. When you call they connect you to a rep in the Philippines where you have to read out your IMEI and Sim Card number. Of course if you do this using the same line, your call will disconnect. If something goes wrong, say goodbye to your number.

Seems like an opportune time to switch to a better company.

Feedback Score
    I can't honestly remember. I know my phone likely has an old AIO one that I've trimmed down as the phones have required smaller sizes. Come to think of it, possibly the 3 (not 4 like I first thought) that got the message are all ones from the AIO days.

I did a chat session on the Cricket site and they told me I would get the correct size for the phone I'm currently using, not the same size that I was originally issued. Since I have a new phone on order (Xiaomi Mi Mix 2) that uses nano where my current OnePlus one uses micro, I may just wait a few weeks for it to arrive, cut my SIM once again, use it a few days so they "see" what phone I'm using, then request the SIM. Otherwise, it may be time to invest in one of those SIM cutters from Amazon, which I probably should have done years ago.

-AngryHog

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    If something goes wrong, say goodbye to your number.
    Well that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

-AngryHog

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    According to Cricket, there are around 2,000+ customers still using AIO SIM Cards. Those are the only affected customers, everyone else should not worry.

Feedback Score
    Based on that screenshot something tells me the network upgrade they maybe finally completing the VoLTE network with wifi calling update. Not saying it is but based on the network upgrade part

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Amazon has the new Cricket 2.0 sim right now for $3.99 compared to best buy at $9.99
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Cricket requiring me to get a new SIM by Nov 10th??

That’s a legit site? I wouldn’t trust just any site. I’m always cautious of site i don’t frequent often and crktwrls.com doesn’t seem like the norm. Whois lookup shows enom.com as the web owner.

*shrugs* I would personally call CS.

And why would hey type out the DOTcom in .com. Call CS and don’t enter your info in that website.
    Could be a phishing scam.
    Last edited by Slagish; 09-27-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    I agree - while AiO SIMs may be phased out, the site seems a tad suspect. I'd call customer service and check. Conceivably, someone with an older-generation of SIM may need to replace it, as AT&T has often phased in and out certain SIMs over the years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryHog View Post
    Anyone else get this? Around 7:45p EST, I got a simultaneous text on 4 of my 5 lines on my plan stating:

Hey (my name)! On November 10, a Cricket update will impact your service. You'll need to replace the SIM card in your phone to continue using our network. Register your mailing address and we'll send you a free SIM card. Click the link below. crktwrlsDOTcom/xJm6Ti

Considering it had my name and came to all but the newest of my lines (it's about a year old, the rest are several years old) at the same time, it seems legit.

-AngryHog

if you can and still have the text message, try taking a screenshot and go to your nearest
    cricket store and show them. DON'T REPLY to that one you just got. that looks like a phishing scam.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    It's legit. Cricket is migrating accounts from a slow external proxy (Jasper/Zayo/XO) to another slow internal proxy (AT&T).
    The internal AT&T proxy has been showing much better ping times than their old proxy. Still a touch slower than no proxy, but I regularly get 50-60ms ping times on LTE - nothing amazing, but definitely decent.

They were supposed to do this manually on all accounts over the past several months, except this isn't a exactly top-tier carrier. They got cheap, ran out of time/money, so they decided that its now your responsibility to do their job.
    Sure, they're prepaid, but what basis are you calling this cheap or them running out of time/money? If anything, it costs more money to mail out SIM cards to affected customers than to migrate the customer over. They're also sending out texts, having people fill out a simple web form (based on this thread, anyways,) and mailing out the card at no charge. At worst it's a mild inconvenience.

It's almost certainly a technological issue with a certain type (or types) of older BYOD SIM cards - on the five-line plan I have at best two of the five lines have purchased the new SIM and yet four of the five lines (at least, the fifth line may have gone by now) moved to the AT&T proxy without a hitch.

Its downright dishonest they make customers go through this process.
    How?

When you call they connect you to a rep in the Philippines where you have to read out your IMEI and Sim Card number. Of course if you do this using the same line, your call will disconnect.
    Good job reading the OP where there's no mention of calling in.

If something goes wrong, say goodbye to your number.
    What evidence do you have that this would lead to anyone losing their number? Or is this just fearmongering?

Seems like an opportune time to switch to a better company.
    Sounds like an opportune time for someone to fearmonger and try to poach customers by playing loose with the facts and then scaring people into shifting to another company.
    Internet on a Blackberry Priv with the Cricket 8Mbps plan. Not bad for a $20 fifth line on the family plan!

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    The internal AT&T proxy has been showing much better ping times than their old proxy. Still a touch slower than no proxy, but I regularly get 50-60ms ping times on LTE - nothing amazing, but definitely decent.

Sure, they're prepaid, but what basis are you calling this cheap or them running out of time/money? If anything, it costs more money to mail out SIM cards to affected customers than to migrate the customer over. They're also sending out texts, having people fill out a simple web form (based on this thread, anyways,) and mailing out the card at no charge. At worst it's a mild inconvenience.

It's almost certainly a technological issue with a certain type (or types) of older BYOD SIM cards - on the five-line plan I have at best two of the five lines have purchased the new SIM and yet four of the five lines (at least, the fifth line may have gone by now) moved to the AT&T proxy without a hitch.

How?

Good job reading the OP where there's no mention of calling in.

What evidence do you have that this would lead to anyone losing their number? Or is this just fearmongering?

Sounds like an opportune time for someone to fearmonger and try to poach customers by playing loose with the facts and then scaring people into shifting to another company.
    Oh, hi. You must be new here. B1geast is our resident troll.
    I guess his post sig should come with a disclaimer. The rest of us already know to dismiss him by now.

Well that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

-AngryHog
    Great. Encourage him why don't you. I'd say there is absolutely zero chance of that worst case scenario happening. Cricket is owned and maintained by AT&T, they are not a fly by night operation. B1geast just has some sort of vendetta. Let him get his kicks and move on.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

-AngryHog

Don’t go to that site and enter your personal information. Website doesn’t seem legit. In fact why would hey text you a site and spell out DOTcom unless you did that yourself.

Call CS by dialing 611 and get information that way. That seems like a phishing scam.

The actual website crktwrls com doesn’t load a page at all. Def don’t trust it.

Good luck, and I hope you didn’t enter any info.

Feedback Score
    I just spoke with chat and also emailed cricket and they both claim the information is 100% legit. If you don't feel comfortable you can contact them to also take care of this if needed.

I'm just stating what I was told so do so at your own risk and do your own due diligence. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast