Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cricket requiring me to get a new SIM by Nov 10th??

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Its possible that crktwrls is a domain set up to avoid resorting to URL shorteners on mobile formatted links. I've heard about an upcoming change in November, I'm really curious what it will entail exactly, so the information in this is very interesting to say the least.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    BTW, this is the email I received from Zendesk.

xxxx,

Thanks for contacting Cricket Support. This is legit indeed. Please take advantage of the free SIM while supplies last.

Warm Regards,

C.J.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the lively discussion guys!

The reason for the "DOT" was me, not a direct quote from the text I received. I'm too new to post hyperlinks so that was my workaround. Guess I should've noted that for everyone.

My conversation with Cricket via chat stated it was legit as well, so I have no concerns there. I'm not one to throw my personal info into a web form to satisfy someone's phishing expedition, but I have little doubt this is legit.

Beyond all that, I am curious as to what the technological reasoning behind it is. I flat out asked and got a generic answer along the lines of "improved services". VoLTE sounds interesting. And anything that might speed up my data connection slightly is ok by me, not that I feel it's lacking at all.

-AngryHog

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryHog View Post
    Thanks for the lively discussion guys!

The reason for the "DOT" was me, not a direct quote from the text I received. I'm too new to post hyperlinks so that was my workaround. Guess I should've noted that for everyone.

My conversation with Cricket via chat stated it was legit as well, so I have no concerns there. I'm not one to throw my personal info into a web form to satisfy someone's phishing expedition, but I have little doubt this is legit.

Beyond all that, I am curious as to what the technological reasoning behind it is. I flat out asked and got a generic answer along the lines of "improved services". VoLTE sounds interesting. And anything that might speed up my data connection slightly is ok by me, not that I feel it's lacking at all.

-AngryHog
    Well, VOLTE is already here for devices that support it and are sold by Cricket. I'm not sure if that's what this is all about, because you don't need a new SIM card for that. The older SIM cards have been getting the new server rollout for months already. If you check your IP using whatismyip, it should say AT&T Mobility as your service provider. It used to say Jasper, etc, which were proxies that had certain limitations. The new server brought an updated Voicemail platform as well as the ability to use some of AT&T's advanced calling features like voice over LTE.
    It is possible that they are overhauling their network to be more in line with AT&T's, and therefore are going to discontinue supporting the old SIM ID's that pre-existed their network merge. I'd guess it is just less overhead for them to support old SIMs and new SIMs, and want to just get everyone on the new ones already.

I'd love to see more devices rolled out with support for VOLTE and WiFi calling (heck, some BYOD options would be great!), but that's likely not coming from a network change. Right now, those services only work on devices whitelisted by them to work (ie. phones sold by them with the feature available). Since AT&T takes a similar stance (only accepting branded devices approved by their whitelist), I don't expect BYOD to get any advanced calling features anytime soon.

Meanwhile, since we already have support for volte and vowifi on Cricket's devices that offer it, I don't think this "update" will bring anything new. I think its just some internal changes that won't necessarily have any noticeably improvements to the user. Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    When you do get your SIM, don't bother dialing the 1-800-Cricket number like it says on the sign-up page for the replacement and the envelope insert that comes with the new SIM. It's a totally automated support number with no choices or info relating to the 10 November replacement program. Instead I logged in to my account online and started a customer service chat, and went through activation there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryHog View Post
    Well that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

-AngryHog
    Ignore the troll.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    It's legit. Cricket is migrating accounts from a slow external proxy (Jasper/Zayo/XO) to another slow internal proxy (AT&T). They were supposed to do this manually on all accounts over the past several months, except this isn't a exactly top-tier carrier. They got cheap, ran out of time/money, so they decided that its now your responsibility to do their job. Its downright dishonest they make customers go through this process. When you call they connect you to a rep in the Philippines where you have to read out your IMEI and Sim Card number. Of course if you do this using the same line, your call will disconnect. If something goes wrong, say goodbye to your number.

Seems like an opportune time to switch to a better company.
    This troll never ceases to amaze me with the crap he spews out about Cricket. I do have to laugh at this complete and utter bull though. He must be getting restless in his mom's basement!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DPiFan00 View Post
    According to Cricket, there are around 2,000+ customers still using AIO SIM Cards. Those are the only affected customers, everyone else should not worry.
    Good to know. I have 2 year old Cricket SIM cards and did not receive this message, so my lines are fine. Thanks for the info.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    This makes some sense, but there is just a little part of me that wanted to snag an unused Aio SIM and use it for grins (or if past the expiration date, save in my collection of crap )

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    cricKet
    Feedback Score
    RAW WHOIS DATA
    Domain Name: CRKTWRLS.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 2014911458_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.enom.com
    Registrar URL: www.enom.com
    Updated Date: 2016-03-23T10:34:29.00Z
    Creation Date: 2016-03-23T17:34:00.00Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-03-23T17:34:00.00Z
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Registrar IANA ID: 48
    Reseller: NAMECHEAP.COM
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: WHOISGUARD PROTECTED
    Registrant Organization: WHOISGUARD, INC.
    Registrant Street: P.O. BOX 0823-03411
    Registrant City: PANAMA
    Registrant State/Province: PANAMA
    Registrant Postal Code: 00000
    Registrant Country: PA
    Registrant Phone: +507.8365503
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +51.17057182
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: [email protected]
    Registry Admin ID:
    Admin Name: WHOISGUARD PROTECTED
    Admin Organization: WHOISGUARD, INC.
    Admin Street: P.O. BOX 0823-03411
    Admin City: PANAMA
    Admin State/Province: PANAMA
    Admin Postal Code: 00000
    Admin Country: PA
    Admin Phone: +507.8365503
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax: +51.17057182
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: [email protected]
    Registry Tech ID:
    Tech Name: WHOISGUARD PROTECTED
    Tech Organization: WHOISGUARD, INC.
    Tech Street: P.O. BOX 0823-03411
    Tech City: PANAMA
    Tech State/Province: PANAMA
    Tech Postal Code: 00000
    Tech Country: PA
    Tech Phone: +507.8365503
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax: +51.17057182
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: [email protected]
    Name Server: DNS1.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.REGISTRAR-SERVERS.COM
    DNSSEC: unSigned
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4252982646
    URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
    >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2016-03-23T10:34:29.00Z <<<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2