T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon looking to build 200 'Next Gen' corporate stores

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wirele...e-stores-wave7

Name:  Verizon_NextGen_store800.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  87.7 KB

Verizon is ambitiously—if quietly—taking a new retail tack with its Next Gen corporate stores, pushing virtual reality products as well as traditional phones and tablets. And the carrier may be working with Google to do so, according to a new report from Wave7 Research.

“Wave7 Research recently reported that Verizon has a proposal out that calls for the development of 200 Next Gen corporate stores over a period that appears to be two years, and at least two major Verizon dealers have been asked to test the program,” the market research firm said in a recent note to subscribers. “In an August press release, Verizon stated that its new Next Gen store in downtown San Francisco has a 10’x20’ open space with five Google VR stations, where customers can experience San Francisco via VR.”

Indeed, Wave7 said two of its analysts visited the San Francisco store two weeks ago “and found it surprising that nearly one-third of the store was devoted to Google VR displays.” San Francisco’s was the first such store to open its doors, and Verizon has opened 19 more across the country including four in Indianapolis.

“Given this and the Pixel arrangement, Verizon seems to be working closely with Google,” Wave7 concluded.

Verizon hasn’t crowed much about its new retail strategy—not yet, at least—but it did highlight the effort in a company blog post last month. The carrier hopes to create a roomier, less hectic environment in which customers can take their time as they browse phones and other devices and consult with retail staffers.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Haven't been to a wireless store in 15 years. The overhead on stores is a major component of high wireless prices. Wireless stores are like car dealerships, they're middlemen getting a cut for upsells. We don't need them. Stick to selling service, I'll buy devices on Amazon.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Verizon will be delivering "Virtual Reality" at under 100kbps around here.

I don't need the high pressure corporate salesman to sell me a phone.

I wish they'd waste money on something useful like, say, the network?

Feedback Score
    Instead of wasting money on that they need to fix the network outages
    http://www.ibtimes.com/verizon-down-...errors-2594254

Plus they are booting people for only a few gb

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...bytes-a-month/

Verizon needs to get their priorities inline
    Last edited by caddypower; 09-27-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    """new T-Mobile customer"""

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Haven't been to a wireless store in 15 years. The overhead on stores is a major component of high wireless prices. Wireless stores are like car dealerships, they're middlemen getting a cut for upsells. We don't need them. Stick to selling service, I'll buy devices on Amazon.
    Unless your argument is they are only doing this for you this post really has no importance at all, it is just you saying you dont go to retail locations. Retail still accounts for most of the carriers business, so much in fact that TMobile is using the opening of new retail locations all across the country as signs of their growth.http://www.fool.com/investing/2017/0...neck-pace.aspx there still seems to be plenty of money in retail, and retail locations are still a very important part of the carriers business model.

Feedback Score

Stores can be facade for a poor network or a way of localizing a brand.
    A really nice store can be impressive. We have a nice new Verizon store in our area.
    And if I see a store I sort of figure the Network isn’t too crummy right there. (No sales people on the roof doing activations )
    I suppose there is a segment of the population that goes to the stores, but I only go to the store if I have issues.

But like the Sprint Radio Shack deal, way too many stores can be an awful idea.

I suppose Verizon has a Network Budget and a Store Budget. (Since their Network is perfect they can build stores now. )
    And in some ways the store makes sense bcause expenditures are approached in a long term way. Network Improvements will get a turn again.

(And besides you wouldn’t want Gigabit Download Speeds with coverage inside a Concrete Bunkers with no one to buy the awesome service because there were no stores ) A service like that wouldn’t advertise itself by any chance?

Device(s)
    SM-G935U
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Funny post. I know it was all tongue in cheek. But I think you're sort of right. Budgets are in silos in a massive corporation. It creates a bad PR look when a company spends more in one area and a vocal group of consumers think money should be spent in a different area. But budgets are produced well in advance. I'm sure whatever they were going to spend on stores vs. network was decided long ago.

Personally, I'm not excited about cool looking new stores, but it's helpful for revenue. And revenue gives the company money to do those network improvements we all want. So I'm cool with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Stores can be facade for a poor network or a way of localizing a brand.
    A really nice store can be impressive. We have a nice new Verizon store in our area.
    And if I see a store I sort of figure the Network isn’t too crummy right there. (No sales people on the roof doing activations )
    I suppose there is a segment of the population that goes to the stores, but I only go to the store if I have issues.

But like the Sprint Radio Shack deal, way too many stores can be an awful idea.

I suppose Verizon has a Network Budget and a Store Budget. (Since their Network is perfect they can build stores now. )
    And in some ways the store makes sense bcause expenditures are approached in a long term way. Network Improvements will get a turn again.

(And besides you wouldn’t want Gigabit Download Speeds with coverage inside a Concrete Bunkers with no one to buy the awesome service because there were no stores ) A service like that wouldn’t advertise itself by any chance?
    Way to many stores is only an awful idea if there is nobody willing to buy the product you are pushing. I disagree with stores being a facade for a poor Network, if the brand you are selling is in demand, and people want to buy it, it only makes sense to open more locations so people can buy your brand. TMobile is doing the same thing, right now their brand is in demand, they are spending money opening locations so people can buy their brand. Sprints problem is their brand was not in high demand, they felt this was because of a lack of retail presence, so far they haven't been correct, but a strong retail presence for products that are in demand is a must still. Going back to TMobile even, one of the main reasons their metro pcs brand is thriving in the prepaid market is a strong retail presence. You get rid of or significantly lower that retail presence and their numbers likely drop considerably, likely closer to an online only mvno, such as a mint sim. Att has had the same success with their cricket brand, huge growth thanks to a large retail presence. It works if your product is wanted by people. I realize that this really isn't Verizon opening new stores, more of a remodel to existing locations it seems, but I think it's a good move. A stronger retail presence isn't a bad thing, again, as long as people want to buy your product.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Totally agree. Can't stand the constant push to get you to buy everything even if you ask for one specific thing. I buy everything online. Cheaper that way too.