Thread: Does Selectel use all of Verizon's frequency bands?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score

Does Selectel use all of Verizon's frequency bands?

My wife and I have been using Selectel for a couple of years. For the most part, we've been satisfied, but I am increasingly frustrated by the lack of signal strength in the brick building of the church where I am pastor.

A friend can visit in my study and receive a phone call from one of his adult sons with no problem, and I later discover I have a voice mail and there is not even an entry on the recent calls for that number. There was never a ring. I generally have to go outside the building to talk on my phone.

We each have an iPhone 6s, but he is on Verizon and I am on Selectel.

This made me wonder if I have use of the identical frequency bands (if that's the correct term) with Selectel as I would were my phone on Verizon.

Any thoughts? I am tempted to switch to Cricket to see if ATT gets better building penetration. I think both ATT and Verizon have relatively strong signal strength in the rural southeast. I've been told by folk that T-Mobile's signal strength is much better than even two or three years ago, and the new 55+ plan is enticing. I'm ready to do something.

Thanks much.

Feedback Score
    Depending of the location, the 2G voice on VZW network is over 850MHz or 1900MHz. The higher nuber has difficulty in penetration of brick buildings.
    Their LTE on band 13 is on 700MHz and that frequency, combined with VoLTE can reach "deeper" inside the brick buildings. VZW also has LTE on higher frequency but in this case it seems that band 13 is used.
    Other providers might not have better signals, but yes, I would ask different congregation members with different providers to check their signal

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As previously noted, it's possible the other phone could have HD Voice service enabled, while your phone service does not have that ability. If that is the case, then you could gain that ability with a provider that has HD Voice service, such as Boom! Mobile. The iPhone 6s appears in the list of phones that support HD Voice on Boom! Mobile.
    https://support.boom.us/153620-HD-Vo...patible-Phones

A phone on postpaid Verizon will also have the possibility of roaming within Verizon coverage. Another explanation could be that their phone might be roaming to another service provider. For example, when I was on Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) my phone would typically roam to Sprint when I was at work. Similar to Page Plus, my understanding is that Selectel Wireless does offer extra-cost voice roaming service by buying a Flex card. Paid roaming is typically somewhat expensive in terms of price per minute, and the following link reports it's $0.25/min at Selectel, which would probably be higher than the alternatives for paid roaming with a smartphone from Page Plus ($0.20/min on monthly plans with a balance) or Verizon prepaid (nerdwallet reports $0.20/min when there's a balance on the account). I'm not aware of any non-postpaid Verizon service provider that supports smartphones and currently includes roaming without extra fees, although Tracfone dumbphones are reported to roam.
    http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017...e-roaming.html
    Last edited by alluringreality; 09-27-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I really appreciate your input. Concerning roaming, my initial reaction is that shouldn't be a problem. I don't recall a difference since Selectel dropped their included roaming capability. We're just on the edge of town (Clinton, SC), and this is prime Verizon territory. However, tower and contracts and such are much more complicated than I'm aware.

I can be in another area of our building that has plenty of windows, and reception is quite good. My study is in the corner of this one story building brick building.

Since I originally started this thread, I was talking to our secretary across the hall who has the same problem with her cell phone. She has Straighttalk CDMA on an inexpensive Android phone. Her daughter, a school teacher, had the same phone with Straighttalk CDMA but was frustrated by signal strength in her school. The daughter/teacher replaced her phone with a GSM version of the same phone, continued with Straighttalk on the GSM side of things, and now has great reception.

I suspect that Selectel and Straighttalk CDMA has some restricted version of what Verizon postpaid users have. Interestingly, a couple of our members have T-Mobile and get good reception in my study.

I'm sorely tempted to give T-Mo a try, especially with the new 55+ plan. If not that, I may try Cricket, which should be as good if not better GSM than Straighttalk. My iPhone 6s is the SIM-free version, so I could "upgrade" my wife's phone to that and then order a SIM-free iPhone 7 Plus to get the larger size my eyes have been seeking.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I suspect that Selectel and Straighttalk CDMA has some restricted version of what Verizon postpaid users have.
    In terms of service, Straight Talk Verizon would also lack roaming and HD Voice, which are available as part of Verizon postpaid service. Since I knew that I used Verizon voice roaming at times, I decided to move away from Verizon MVNOs when I replaced my phone, rather than going with a non-roaming Verizon MVNO. Due to local factors, AT&T was the next choice on my list. I've certainly encountered more service holes, where phones have no usable signal, with AT&T MVNOs than I ever did on Verizon or Page Plus with roaming. In terms of a local data signal Verizon probably has an edge, but there have been a few times when the AT&T phone had data while the Boom (Verizon) phone didn't. Overall AT&T MVNOs have worked acceptably for my usage, primarily because non-roaming Verizon would often not have a usable signal where I work. While I have heard of calls going straight to voice mail at times from all the major providers, if you suspect your service has a poor signal in a place you frequent, trying out another network would be worth considering in my opinion.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    In terms of service, Straight Talk Verizon would also lack roaming and HD Voice, which are available as part of Verizon postpaid service. Since I knew that I used Verizon voice roaming at times, I decided to move away from Verizon MVNOs when I replaced my phone, rather than going with a non-roaming Verizon MVNO. Due to local factors, AT&T was the next choice on my list. I've certainly encountered more service holes, where phones have no usable signal, with AT&T MVNOs than I ever did on Verizon or Page Plus with roaming. In terms of a local data signal Verizon probably has an edge, but there have been a few times when the AT&T phone had data while the Boom (Verizon) phone didn't. Overall AT&T MVNOs have worked acceptably for my usage, primarily because non-roaming Verizon would often not have a usable signal where I work. While I have heard of calls going straight to voice mail at times from all the major providers, if you suspect your service has a poor signal in a place you frequent, trying out another network would be worth considering in my opinion.
    Thanks for that information. It makes sense. I'm going to make a move, probably going to give T-Mobile a try with their 55+ plan. At least their WiFi calling will solve my most pressing annoyance of little to no signal in my office. Everything's a compromise, isn't it? Just have to decide which compromise is acceptable.

Feedback Score
    I would use Hangouts in the office (with WiFi).