Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NEED ADVICE: New to T-mobile. Please suggest a plan for me!

Feedback Score

NEED ADVICE: New to T-mobile. Please suggest a plan for me!

Hi everyone,

I've been with Verizon for over 10 years and the contract on my grandfathered family plan is over in 2 weeks. They will double the cost of my unlimited data at that time, so I decided to switch to T-mobile.

What I need is a plan for 6 family members- 5 Iphone plans and 1 dumb phone for grandma. I have been reading on various T-mobile plans and came up with an idea. I know T-mobile now offers $60 for 2 lines unlimited plan for seniors. It just so happens that 3 out of 6 family members are over 65 (grandma is 89!).

I am thinking instead of one family plans to get 3 senior plans as I am reading that only one person on senior plan actually needs to be senior. So:

one senior and myself- one $60 line
    one senior and my wife- another $60 line
    one senior and my son- another $60 line.
    Total - $180.

We will bring 3 Iphones from Verizon and buy 2 Iphone 8 at full price from T-mobile (I don't like payment plans).

Would this work? Anyone else can suggest anything to makes this easier/cheaper?

Feedback Score
    I think that's going to be the cheapest. And then you will all have unlimited everything. All of the seniors will have to go to a store one time to show their ID and open the account.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your response!

Getting grandma to T-mobile store will be a challenge, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Feedback Score
    Also, I read I could buy SIMs from Amazon ($10) instead of getting them from T-mobile ($25). Is this a possibility?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdoc74 View Post
    Also, I read I could buy SIMs from Amazon ($10) instead of getting them from T-mobile ($25). Is this a possibility?
    You can use the SIM cards from Amazon if you want. You still get charged $25/line though.

Feedback Score
    Really? That's weird. So, no point to spend $10 at amazon since I will get charged $25 per line anyway (with or without my own SIM).

Feedback Score
    Really? That's weird. So, no point to spend $10 at amazon since I will get charged $25 per line anyway (with or without my own SIM).
    Not that weird. All carriers charge activation fees, T-mobile just calls theirs a SIM fee. It’s been that way for more than a decade. Sometimes there are promos that waive the fee though.

Feedback Score
    Usually the $10 SIM's are for replacement or prepaid service. When you sign up for new postpaid service, usually T-Mobile charges you for the $25 for the SIM for each new line and there's not usually a way around that.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Usually the $10 SIM's are for replacement or prepaid service. When you sign up for new postpaid service, usually T-Mobile charges you for the $25 for the SIM for each new line and there's not usually a way around that.
    Yes there is. Go to Costco and you get the sims for free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
    Yes there is. Go to Costco and you get the sims for free.
    You can get SIM cards for free from Apple too, but T-mobile still charges you $25/line. Does Costco waive the activation fee for T-mobile? I know they and Sam’s Club have done that in the past for other carriers, but that was for in store activation when you preordered a phone. They also run holiday specials that advertised waived activation fees too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

NEED ADVICE: New to T-mobile. Please suggest a plan for me!

Why tmobile and not ATT or an ATT mnvno? For example you can get 5 lines at Cricket for $100 with 4gb each. Put grandma on $20 a month Airvoice plan if she needs unlimited talk or the $10 Red pocket plan.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have never looked into "alternative carriers" like Cricket, etc. I need good data speeds and reliable service as both my wife and I use phones for work. How good is Cricket?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Why tmobile and not ATT or an ATT mnvno? For example you can get 5 lines at Cricket for $100 with 4gb each. Put grandma on $20 a month Airvoice plan if she needs unlimited talk or the $10 Red pocket plan.
    Why TMobile? Let's see. Better network, more lte than att, better prices than att, and a heck of a lot more reliable than cricket especially with the text issues cricket has so TMobile is a no brainer

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for your suggestion. I have never looked into "alternative carriers" like Cricket, etc. I need good data speeds and reliable service as both my wife and I use phones for work. How good is Cricket?
    I don't use cricket, but cricket does throttle download speeds to 8mps. For some this is perfectly fine for others they don't like it so won't use it. It's totally dependant on how you feel about it. This is a little off topic but honestly take most of the carrier advice here with a grain of salt. There is great information here on carriers no doubt, but when asking for carrier advice most of the advice you get will not have your best intentions in mind, it's geared towards the person giving the advice and how they personally feel about a company. Not saying there aren't unbiased people giving advice here, just a lot of it is just biased rhetoric they compiled based on their own past dealings with certain carriers and it will have nothing to do with what works for you and how you need it. Take the post above, ask the people in Puerto Rico right now if TMobile has a better network than att, or ask the people in Southwest Florida after Irma hit if people who were on Verizon were stupid for overpaying for service. It's all dependant on what you need and what works for you. TMobile is a great option for some people, for others the coverage isn't there yet. Do your own homework on what people around you are using, see if they like it. Cricket does work for a lot of people also, as does metro Pcs, simple mobile, total wireless the list goes on. Finding a good deal on a cell plan is easy nowadays, just find one on the provider that will personally give you the best experience for where you need it and how you need it. Sorry for the long rant but really that's the best advice I personally can give, take suggestions here with a grain of salt and do your own homework on what works best where you are at. Good luck with everything.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for this. I live in LA and I read T-mobile has pretty good coverage where I live. I am only concerned about reception in the buildings. The other thing is I stream a lot of video on Verizon. I read that with T-mobile One plan, video is limited to 480p. Is this correct? It may be just fine, but I don't think I've ever seen it myself. So far I am leaning to get switch to T-mobile through Costco. I will stop by and talk to these guys about activation fees, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast