Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Puretalk compared to Cricket

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kadi1981 View Post
    I like that Red pocket and pure talk are distinguishing themselves from other MVNOs. The lower entry point without a group is sorely needed in the marketplace. Glad that they are filling this void. I hope MintSim $15 plan for unlimited t&t with 2 gb becomes industry standard.
    Agreed, take away the multi line discounts and referral credits that so few use and you're left with a so-so carrier ripe to be steam rolled by a competitor. I'm sure Red Pocket is seriously starting to pull customers from Cricket not unlike what Mint is no doubt doing for the T-Mobile crowd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fdbryant3 View Post
    Got an answer on the PureTalk thread (imagine that) - taxes and fees are not included so that is going to close the price gaps a little bit.

I also saw that mobile tethering is only supported on iPhones.

I'm not going to move, but I may put the kids on it.
    Taxes? I've never paid taxes for my monthly service with PureTalk.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    Probably depends on one's locale/state and the tax laws there on prepaid service.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I can only comment on what they said, which was from the PureTalk account itself. Stupid mistake that can cost customers if not true, although others in the thread confirmed.

As someone mention maybe your locale doesn't have additional taxes, although there are Federal fees you would still have to pay <shrugs>. Perhaps your lucky or in a trial group.

Feedback Score
    20% discount for 4 or more lines...very tempting since iphone tethering is officially supported

Device(s)
    Sonim XP5, iPhone SE, lG 290c, iPad mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Does puretalk still only have autopay?

Feedback Score
    They recently starting charging taxes and fees on new accounts, but they didn't make it retroactive to existing users at the time. If you've been with PureTalk for longer than 2017 then you've most likely been grandfathered (I actually don't remember exactly when they started charging taxes).

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Here or There View Post
    They recently starting charging taxes and fees on new accounts, but they didn't make it retroactive to existing users at the time. If you've been with PureTalk for longer than 2017 then you've most likely been grandfathered (I actually don't remember exactly when they started charging taxes).
    Ah so they decided to quit eating the taxes and fees, and in effect implemented a price increase on new customers. I think I'll stick with Cricket.

Feedback Score
    As tempting as the unthrottled data and tethering are, the separate taxes and fees kill it for me.

I'm fine with Cricket's data speed. If worse came to worse, I'll pay Cricket the $10 to officially tether, but that's my choice. If I was a new PureTalk customer, I don't have the choice to not pay the additional taxes and fees.

Cricket rolling all the extra$ into the price for all customers is a sweet perk and a big reason why I stick with them. If I want to deal with additional taxes and fees, I'll go back to postpaid and get benefits like roaming.

It's nice that PureTalk has upped their offerings, but they're not at a point where I'd leave Cricket for them, at least not yet.

Feedback Score
    I too dislike + taxes & fees. I only respect OTD pricing. Everything else is a cheat.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I too dislike + taxes & fees. I only respect OTD pricing. Everything else is a cheat.
    Exactly. It's like cable/satellite: "$79.99 a month!"...and another ~$30/month in taxes & fees.

Pass.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    Agreed, take away the multi line discounts and referral credits that so few use and you're left with a so-so carrier ripe to be steam rolled by a competitor. I'm sure Red Pocket is seriously starting to pull customers from Cricket not unlike what Mint is no doubt doing for the T-Mobile crowd.
    People generally don't even know about RedPocket. Cricket is becoming known because of actual stores and on air advertising.

Other than us here (and maybe other forms) people don't know RP exists.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    As tempting as the unthrottled data and tethering are, the separate taxes and fees kill it for me.

I'm fine with Cricket's data speed. If worse came to worse, I'll pay Cricket the $10 to officially tether, but that's my choice. If I was a new PureTalk customer, I don't have the choice to not pay the additional taxes and fees.

Cricket rolling all the extra$ into the price for all customers is a sweet perk and a big reason why I stick with them. If I want to deal with additional taxes and fees, I'll go back to postpaid and get benefits like roaming.

It's nice that PureTalk has upped their offerings, but they're not at a point where I'd leave Cricket for them, at least not yet.
    And right now you can get 17% off Cricket refills through Target (if you have a Redcard, otherwise 12.5%). So you can get 4GB on Cricket for $16.60 per month. And then you can get Cricket Rewards too and earn a little more $$$ there.

Now that is a "Pure" deal!!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    And right now you can get 17% off Cricket refills through Target (if you have a Redcard, otherwise 12.5%). So you can get 4GB on Cricket for $16.60 per month. And then you can get Cricket Rewards too and earn a little more $$$ there.

No that's a 5 lines for $100 starting assumption.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post

I got to the "run the numbers" stage with PureTalk for one of my lines. Their updated plans are worth a look. The tethering being included is a big plus for PureTalk.

But at the end of the day, I'm paying $80 total for 2 unlimited everything lines on Cricket. $40/line OTD for everything? That's going to be pretty tough to beat.

And between Target and Best Buy offering deals on Cricket refill cards, there's another reason why I stay with Cricket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast