Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Puretalk compared to Cricket

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    I got to the "run the numbers" stage with PureTalk for one of my lines. Their updated plans are worth a look. The tethering being included is a big plus for PureTalk.

But at the end of the day, I'm paying $80 total for 2 unlimited everything lines on Cricket. $40/line OTD for everything? That's going to be pretty tough to beat.

And between Target and Best Buy offering deals on Cricket refill cards, there's another reason why I stay with Cricket.
    "Everything" but hotspot you mean.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    "Everything" but hotspot you mean.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
    Right. But unofficial tethering happens from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Nothing beats Cricket when you utilize the groupsave to get 4GB for $20 a month
    Who has the time needed to join and maintain position in a group? This sounds as unworkable as Sprint's failed Framily plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    Who has the time needed to join and maintain position in a group? This sounds as unworkable as Sprint's failed Framily plan.
    Only the family with school kids.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Uh, ok dude.

Framily was great. Everyone got their own bill and no one needed to know each other. It was only an issue if/when someone left the group and made it less than 7. I was in a group with 10. It wasn't hard to find people I knew who wanted in. I don't think it was failed it all, I think they canned it because they were likely losing money with it. But initially it got a lot of people to ask as "ambassadors" to lure new customers in. And for that, I'd say it worked. It was great, I only left because I was sick of Sprint's service and found that if I put together a Cricket group, it was much cheaper for better service.

Maintaining a group is super easy. I'm married, my wife and I have a phone each. My neighbor wanted in, they're another 2 phones. I get an automatic payment monthly via paypal of $40 from them. The bill autopays from my Paypal credit card, so I never even need to touch the money. Fifth line I got a high school kid who's parents didn't want to pay for him on their VZ bill, and paid me $200 up front for his service for 10 months. Easy peasy, and I get to work some Cricket mPoints in my favor to make it all worth the "trouble" (I've had months where my portion of the bill was close to zero after using reward points to cash out into cricket credit).

Unworkable, hardly. All but the most lazy of people should be able to handle this without an issue. Unless you're some sort of misanthrope who hates the idea of other people having anything to do with them.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    Unworkable, hardly. All but the most lazy of people should be able to handle this without an issue. Unless you're some sort of misanthrope who hates the idea of other people having anything to do with them.
    Works for you? Great! Some of us have found that others are unreliable, change their minds, and do strange things in the middle of the night. Personally, I have found it is never a good idea to enter into agreements with others that aren't bound by legal contracts--leads to disappointment. I'd rather have my own phone plan. Your language is a red flag that you are not easy to deal with and expect the world to conform to your own whims.
    All but the most lazy of people should be able to handle this without an issue. Unless you're some sort of misanthrope who hates the idea of other people having anything to do with them.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Go on the plan with friends and family. I am on a group with my wife, her mother, and 2 friends. They use the quick pay to pay their portions, I use auto-pay for ours. It works great, no fuss, no muss.

Other people seem to be managing just fine joining groups with strangers. Granted that does present a little more risk, but it is pretty easy to manage and mitigate.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    Works for you? Great! Some of us have found that others are unreliable, change their minds, and do strange things in the middle of the night. Personally, I have found it is never a good idea to enter into agreements with others that aren't bound by legal contracts--leads to disappointment. I'd rather have my own phone plan. Your language is a red flag that you are not easy to deal with and expect the world to conform to your own whims.
    Sorry if my language was offensive to you. It wasn't intentional. I think I was just so taken aback at the "how could anyone possibly do this" that I reacted in a total about-face "EVERYONE can do this!". You're right, I could see how its not for everyone, but there are two things I do to make sure it works well for me:
    1) I don't join with complete strangers. The people who I'm grouped with are people from my neighborhood I know IRL and have regular dealings with outside of this. Our kids play together, etc. No one here is going to try anything funny.
    2) I treat the other group members how I'd want to be treated. As in, I won't nickel-and-dime you for little things as long as that respect is mutual. Need more data this month? Sure, I'll bump you to unlimited and then back to the standard plan to reset your bucket. Prorated charge is less than $1, and if it happens once in a blue moon I don't make my group members pay for it. Why sweat less than one buck.
    As an aside, I like to think I'm pretty easy to deal with and don't AT ALL expect the world to conform to my own whims, not sure how I came off that way. But I suppose if I generally assumed that about people, I'd also be wary to join into a financially responsible group with them. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by #8awg View Post
    Only the family with school kids.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Exactly

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Dishe

Not sure if you’re paying fees to PayPal for the monthly payments, but now that most banks have Zelle to send money with no fees it might be a better option for you.
    Also there’s no prorated charge if you upgrade and downgrade the same day. With the basic plan that’s 8Gb data per month.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Dishe

Not sure if you’re paying fees to PayPal for the monthly payments, but now that most banks have Zelle to send money with no fees it might be a better option for you.
    Also there’s no prorated charge if you upgrade and downgrade the same day. With the basic plan that’s 8Gb data per month.
    Paypal is free if payments are made as gifts to friends/family (they charge for commercial payments, ie goods or services. You choose when you make the payment). I like it this way because the money never has to touch my bank account, it comes right out of PayPal with the debit card. I only get charged for my part so its easy to keep track.

As for plan changes, I did not know you could change the same day and avoid the charge... Thats good to know!
    In the past I had changed it so they could also unlock a phone, and sometimes I had to wait for confirmation that it was done. In the future I could push them to request the unlock early so we can do it same day if that comes up again. I assumed that once I'm paying for the day it didn't matter if I did it the next day or not. Good to know, thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Uh, ok dude.

Framily was great. Everyone got their own bill and no one needed to know each other. It was only an issue if/when someone left the group and made it less than 7. I was in a group with 10. It wasn't hard to find people I knew who wanted in. I don't think it was failed it all, I think they canned it because they were likely losing money with it. But initially it got a lot of people to ask as "ambassadors" to lure new customers in. And for that, I'd say it worked. It was great, I only left because I was sick of Sprint's service and found that if I put together a Cricket group, it was much cheaper for better service.

Maintaining a group is super easy. I'm married, my wife and I have a phone each. My neighbor wanted in, they're another 2 phones. I get an automatic payment monthly via paypal of $40 from them. The bill autopays from my Paypal credit card, so I never even need to touch the money. Fifth line I got a high school kid who's parents didn't want to pay for him on their VZ bill, and paid me $200 up front for his service for 10 months. Easy peasy, and I get to work some Cricket mPoints in my favor to make it all worth the "trouble" (I've had months where my portion of the bill was close to zero after using reward points to cash out into cricket credit).

"Framily was great"....LOL. Kidding me..that joke of a group plan was a pain in the rear. Daughter #2 lives/works in SF and she, one of her gf's and I went into a Sprint corp store where the (lying) rep said he had others who we could join in the group. Great. Then we all get our separate bills for full pop. Call the Sprint store and they said to hang on and they will adjust the bill and get us in another group. That never happened and this other group never materialized and we all ported out. I sent a email to one of their corporate VP's of sales and she responded with offers of a discount without the group, but no one (self included) wanted to go back. Sprint's biggest problem IMO is their bottom of the barrel lying and poorly trained reps. Ugg, the Framily thing is a bad nightmare for me with the porting in and then out, bills that were never adjusted, phones that were returned and we had to fight like hell for refunds, and then still getting billed up to a year later.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I may have missed it in this thread, but what about HD Voice/VoLTE? I've been researching carriers because I cannot get decent voice reception in my office with Selectel. I thought it may be a GSM/CDMA thing, but it seems to be VoLTE. Friends who can make and receive calls in my office have it, and I have to step outside.

Cricket has HD Voice (as well as Wi-Fi calling), right? PureTalk doesn't. That may be enough to lead me to Cricket.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Cricket only has those for select phones.

I took a peek at the PureTalk plans, but since we have five lines on a family plan already with Cricket it doesn't make sense to switch. Each line uses at least 750MB of data (I just took a peek today) and currently 4 lines are on the 4GB plan and I pay a bit extra for my line to get unlimited data (I used around 12GB with traveling this month, and while I could cut it down some $20 extra/month seems fair to not have to think about data caps.) I do it with family so there's no worry about people dropping out without notifying us. The simple pricing and the fact that it's a subsidiary of AT&T also makes it more comfortable to use. None of us tether currently so that's not an added expense for us.

PureTalk seems like a decent deal, but Cricket is still much better for our use case. (Plus, I like the trade I currently have with my parents where I get the $40 off the fifth line in exchange for adding them as a family member to my Amazon Prime account. )
    Internet on a Blackberry Priv with the Cricket 8Mbps plan. Not bad for a $20 fifth line on the family plan!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    Cricket only has those for select phones.

I took a peek at the PureTalk plans, but since we have five lines on a family plan already with Cricket it doesn't make sense to switch. Each line uses at least 750MB of data (I just took a peek today) and currently 4 lines are on the 4GB plan and I pay a bit extra for my line to get unlimited data (I used around 12GB with traveling this month, and while I could cut it down some $20 extra/month seems fair to not have to think about data caps.) I do it with family so there's no worry about people dropping out without notifying us. The simple pricing and the fact that it's a subsidiary of AT&T also makes it more comfortable to use. None of us tether currently so that's not an added expense for us.

PureTalk seems like a decent deal, but Cricket is still much better for our use case. (Plus, I like the trade I currently have with my parents where I get the $40 off the fifth line in exchange for adding them as a family member to my Amazon Prime account. )
    Cricket is unbeatable, it sees, for folk with four or five lines. I need only two, and that will run $70 with Cricket (4GB each line), not bad but not as awesome. Still, with PureTalk, you don't know what your added on fees and taxes are till after you get your bill, it seems. The price between the two may be pretty close, and Cricket has HD Voice and Wi-Fi calling, which PureTalk doesn't (though PT has supported tethering for iPhones).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast