Thread: Rogers Email-to-text - read messages?

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Rogers Email-to-text - read messages?

I've received about a half dozen text messages in the past two days stating that I have a message sent via email-to-text, and that I need to reply with "YES" to subscribe and view the message. I can only assume "subscribe" means extra charges. I've done some searching and it's not clear - if I reply "YES", will I be paying $5/month for the email-to-text service? Is there a way to see this message without subscribing? I'm assuming it's a spam text, but it could also be a legit message - no way to know.

Any advice or clarification?
    Carrier: Rogers | Handset: OnePlus One | Plan: UL CDN Wide minutes, UL SMS, Call Display, VM | Data: 6GB LTE - $58.50

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Rogers charges $5 for email-to-text??

Requesting an initial 'Yes' to subscribe should simply be spam control. Otherwise we'd see all kinds of (cheap to send) email-to-text crap.

It could also be a way for Rogers to ensure they get a piece of the action. There's never a charge for inbound texts, but while roaming or with limited-quota plans, there'd be ppu for outbound. This was the case with a Fido flexdata SIM when I tested email-to-text, the first inbound email-to-text generated a 'reply Yes to subscribe', then each subsequent "You have mail from ... Reply with 'Read' to read your message", and it was .25 (or .50?) with every reply. It was a brief experiment.

You shouldn't be seeing these unless you have an understanding with someone to use email-to-text. It could be a useful thing, allowing someone at a PC to communicate directly with a cellphone; replies from the cell go back to the original email address. It's a free service, in theory.

Gateway email for Rogers - number@pcs.rogers.com
    Fido - number@fido.ca [above works too]
    Telus - number@msg.telus.com
    Koodo - number@msg.koodomobile.com [above also]

--
    More dumb(phone) messaging tricks.
    (provider dependent, YMMV)
    From the cell you can use MMS to reach a PC, just put the recipient's email in the To: field.
    You can convert an SMS to MMS by adding a subject (or an email as recipient).
    MMS can provide both device delivery and message read confirmations.
    Audio messaging via MMS! bog standard, platform independent, no minutes, no LD, no ringing, no data.
    (don't know how well iMessage handles this protocol standard stuff)
    Last edited by pjw918; 09-28-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: MMS; 'reply Yes'; Fido/Koodo gateways

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I just tested again, and I get "You have mail from <sender>. Please reply with 'Read' to read your message". If I reply "Read", I get the message with no extra charges. That's the way it's always worked.

There is a subscription service for $5/month to bypass the need to reply "Read" to each message, but I don't recall ever getting a message asking me to reply "Yes" to turn it on. But I know that if you initiate a subscription to the service, you *will* get that message to confirm the subscription. Is it possible you somehow inadvertently tried to sign up?

Brad.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    When I tried that ("read" in response to the text) it tells me I have to reply "Yes" or "No", and nothing happens. These texts came out of nowhere, and I've gotten a few of them over the past few days, leading me to think something or someone is sending them.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Reply "stop" or "no", if you'd rather not 'yes' to subscribe.

Sender has the phone number. If it's someone you know, they can text or call if it's important!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pjw918 View Post
    There's never a charge for inbound texts, but while roaming or with limited-quota plans,
    LoL, Forget Roaming Rogers, Bell & Telus charge you 30 to 50c for every incoming text, if texting is not included in your plan or an add on even when using there Native Network. Also all Prepaid Pay as you go plans of Rogers, Bell & Telus have a charge of 30 to 50c for every incoming message. Whats worse is you can not easily Block this service, so in most cases you are screwed if someone decides to spam you.