Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Was hoping windows would make a comeback

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,747
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0

    Was hoping windows would make a comeback

    I've always liked windows phones especially the Lumia ones.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,668
    Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I agree. Doesn't look too promising for the platform when the ms Co-founder switches to Android

    It seemed to be dying out for a while though
    Sent from my windows phone

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Murland
    Posts
    1,480
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just want a new and viable competitor to Android and iOS. I was hoping that Windows Phone 10 would be the third option because it had a lot going for it. iOS tends to be much less buggy than Android, but Apple's Walled Garden, high prices, and short selection always turned me off. With Android, there was exactly everything I wanted with the Nexus. I could get a cheap Android that was updated regularly and I could unlock the bootloader. Now, I can only buy a high priced Pixel that may come with the option of allowing a bootloader unlock based on where I buy it. Oh and bootloader unlocks or rooting breaks OTAs and any app that uses Wildvine DRM, i.e. Netflix. To add insult to injury, many unpublicized bugs go unfixed on Android.

    I was hoping Windows Phone would take off and put more fire under Google for its latest antics. Maybe push Apple to not require so many adapters for its iPhone or make it less expensive. These are pipe dreams now.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Feedback Score
    0
    Me too.
    I really love Windows Phone and especially the Lumia line.

    Android is tolerable but my heart is still with Windows Phone.

    I'm just hoping that they will still work as a phone after most of the apps die out.

    Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2
    *After All, There Is Nothing Real Outside Our Perception Of Reality, Is There?*







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    654
    Device(s)
    Alcatel Idol 4S Windows 10
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    I just want a new and viable competitor to Android and iOS. I was hoping that Windows Phone 10 would be the third option because it had a lot going for it. iOS tends to be much less buggy than Android, but Apple's Walled Garden, high prices, and short selection always turned me off. With Android, there was exactly everything I wanted with the Nexus. I could get a cheap Android that was updated regularly and I could unlock the bootloader. Now, I can only buy a high priced Pixel that may come with the option of allowing a bootloader unlock based on where I buy it. Oh and bootloader unlocks or rooting breaks OTAs and any app that uses Wildvine DRM, i.e. Netflix. To add insult to injury, many unpublicized bugs go unfixed on Android.

    I was hoping Windows Phone would take off and put more fire under Google for its latest antics. Maybe push Apple to not require so many adapters for its iPhone or make it less expensive. These are pipe dreams now.
    I agree with you on so many points. I really wanted Windows Phone, Ubuntu Phone, and Sailfish to succeed. I think my favorite phone of all time was the Nokia N9 which ran Meego. The market needs an alternative to iphone's super premium prices and google's creepy vacuuming of every detail of your life into their ever growing big data. I have switched to android several times and come back to windows phone each time. BTW, many PUBLICIZED bugs go unfixed on Android as well, and some are fixed and never received by the majority of users. I am using an Alcatel Idol 4s right now and have a Fierce XL as a backup. I really feel like when I had my N9, and watched the apps disappear from the store one by one, and then even the API's on the phone were no longer updated. At least MS said they will provide updates throughout 2018 so I can use the Idol 4s for the forseeable future.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    178
    Device(s)
    Iphone 5 se, Iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    T mobile, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I loved Windows phone as a operating system. It had no lag on low end devices. My Sister bought the last WINDOWS phone T-MOBILE carried the one ALCATEL IDOL 4S. It is funny because she started off with the first Windows phone 7 device the HTC HD7. My Mother love's the Lumia 640 T-MOBILE version which is very rare to get. I sold my Dad's friend my old ATT Branded LUMIA 640 at cost and will not put it down. He even cracked the screen and will pay anything to get another one. My DAD love's my Mother's 640 so much hr wants me to find one for him to use as his travel phone. I love selling WINDOWS phones to older people because there where do simple to use with those live tiles. If they only marketed the handset to the elderly and not younger crowd that wanted apps it would have succeeded in a niche market. I still LUMIA 640 is one of the greatest phones ever made in this decade. It did everything right and had everything it need that all the other WINDOWS phones before tried to cut corners on to sell it cheaper.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,670
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    I loved Windows phone as a operating system. It had no lag on low end devices. My Sister bought the last WINDOWS phone T-MOBILE carried the one ALCATEL IDOL 4S. It is funny because she started off with the first Windows phone 7 device the HTC HD7. My Mother love's the Lumia 640 T-MOBILE version which is very rare to get. I sold my Dad's friend my old ATT Branded LUMIA 640 at cost and will not put it down. He even cracked the screen and will pay anything to get another one. My DAD love's my Mother's 640 so much hr wants me to find one for him to use as his travel phone. I love selling WINDOWS phones to older people because there where do simple to use with those live tiles. If they only marketed the handset to the elderly and not younger crowd that wanted apps it would have succeeded in a niche market. I still LUMIA 640 is one of the greatest phones ever made in this decade. It did everything right and had everything it need that all the other WINDOWS phones before tried to cut corners on to sell it cheaper.
    I agree with you about Windows phones.
    My very first one was the Nokia Lumia 710 and I was in love as soon as I started using it.
    My brother and Mom both use unlocked AT&T Lumia 640s on T-Mobile and I have 3 of them and the Lumia 640xl as well.
    Plus several others.
    My dream phone is my Nokia Lumia 1020 unlocked and using T-Mobile on it.

    I am sad that it just didn't catch on as an operating system because it really is terrific.

    I was an Android fangirl until I got that Nokia Lumia 710.

    I still use and mostly like Android but my heart is with my favorite Windows phones.

    Funny thing, I used to watch Coronation Street (Englisch soap opera) and I noticed that most of the characters on the show use Windows Phones. At one point one of the characters was using a Nokia Lumia 1020 and I was completely geeked by that.

    Sent from my Wonderful LG Phoenix 2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    136
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    I loved Windows phone as a operating system. It had no lag on low end devices. My Sister bought the last WINDOWS phone T-MOBILE carried the one ALCATEL IDOL 4S. It is funny because she started off with the first Windows phone 7 device the HTC HD7. My Mother love's the Lumia 640 T-MOBILE version which is very rare to get. I sold my Dad's friend my old ATT Branded LUMIA 640 at cost and will not put it down. He even cracked the screen and will pay anything to get another one. My DAD love's my Mother's 640 so much hr wants me to find one for him to use as his travel phone. I love selling WINDOWS phones to older people because there where do simple to use with those live tiles. If they only marketed the handset to the elderly and not younger crowd that wanted apps it would have succeeded in a niche market. I still LUMIA 640 is one of the greatest phones ever made in this decade. It did everything right and had everything it need that all the other WINDOWS phones before tried to cut corners on to sell it cheaper.
    Same here love the Lumia 640 still as my main personal phone. I will probably switch to an ADOL 4s in the next few months to carry me for a bit.
    Tricon23

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    311
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    My wife has been using a Lumia 635 and it served her so well we never opened the 640 we "banked" for the day the 635 met its fate. That 635 looks beat up but it works fine. Quick, stable, and the phone was dirt cheap.

    But an iPhone 6s Plus is on its way here soon because Windows Phone lost the app war. My wife wants to use mobile deposit at our credit union, a picture app our daughter uses for pictures of the grandkids, and so on. These apps never existed for Windows Phone -- and won't. There's no point in unboxing the 640. So I'll put it on the market at some point to defray some of the cost of the iPhone. And Windows Phone will go away at one more household.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    50
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveinmn View Post
    So I'll put it on the market
    Is it unlocked? How much do you want for it?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,389
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    0
    The prospects just got a bit worse.

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/09/th...share=facebook

    Kind of sad really, we could have used a competitor to the iOS/Android duopoly. Now Windows Phone goes down the path of Symbian, Meego/Maemo, Blackberry OS, Windows Mobile.
    Last edited by mch; 10-09-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    311
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    HFUN, PM sent.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,974
    Device(s)
    ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe, Nexus 4, Lumia 650 dual sim
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    The prospects just got a bit worse.

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/09/th...share=facebook

    Kind of sad really, we could have used a competitor to the iOS/Android duopoly. Now Windows Phone goes down the path of Symbian, Meego/Maemo, Blackberry OS, Windows Mobile.
    The writing was on the wall though.

    Sent from my ASUS_Z01FD using HoFo mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. you know what would make Fido perfect?
    By da_enlightener in forum Fido
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 04:07 AM
  2. I wish SE would make a t600 with a colour screen
    By sanjay in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 02:56 AM
  3. What was the point of making a 1260?
    By Extraordinary in forum Nokia
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 11:10 PM
  4. What would make Vision a MUST have?
    By mas90guru in forum Sprint
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-25-2002, 09:23 PM
  5. damn! i was hoping..
    By netboy in forum AT&T
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2002, 11:09 AM

Bookmarks