Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new phone....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooose View Post
    I am not a heavy phone user, it's more for basic use but wouldn't mind a serious upgrade in speed/screen etc. I'm not interested in Huge screen sizes, I'd like something that can easily fit into a front pocket.
    The LG Sunset would be a good transition from the 840G. GSM, TMFL, and very portable with the 4.5" screen. You might go to a store and check out what a 5" (or larger) screen phone feels like. Pretty big and heavy compared to what you are used to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do you have a good reason for dismissing CDMA/Verizon phones? Does your area have known bad Verizon coverage?

You have a lot to learn to know what all is available to you, so do not rush your decision. A mistake now can hamper your future choices and expense. Then again you may want to just keep it simple and cheap, like buying a new bundle every year. Right after Black Friday is a good time to have your year of service run out.

When I bought the 840G the coverage wasn't as good. I switched to an at&t sim, it worked better. As for version coverage, most of Maine seems to be covered. So maybe CDMA would work now? Anyone from here?

Yeah, that's apparent, it's the many reason I've put off posting here and replacing the phone when choices started to get more complicated.

Will my minutes and days be transferable to a Smartphone?

Thanks everyone for the info.

Feedback Score
    When I bought the 840G the coverage wasn't as good. I switched to an at&t sim, it worked better. As for version coverage, most of Maine seems to be covered. So maybe CDMA would work now? Anyone from here?

From past reports, Maine can be a problem for both Verizon and AT&T coverage, especially in the north. Many with Verizon service roam on US Cell, but you can't do that with a TF smartphone. You might post your ZIP code so others can look at the coverage. The carrier maps are usually over optimistic.

Feedback Score
    Mid coast Maine. I'd rather not post my zip, a personal preference. As for coverage, that's why I want to pick the right provider. Also maybe why a non-smartphone maybe one of the only options.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

Yeah, that's apparent, it's the many reason I've put off posting here and replacing the phone when choices started to get more complicated.

Like loboheeler says, I've read of issues with coverage in Maine. I think Page Plus was popular there since they have roaming available for an extra cost per minute along with Verizon coverage. Selectel also has extra cost roaming and uses Verizon.

From these maps, it looks like you would be better off with Verizon coverage, but you'd need to determine if you can live without roaming with a TracFone smartphone on Verizon.

Here is TracFone coverage maps:
    For Verizon: https://www.tracfone.com/coverage/mapresults?zip=73949
    For AT&T: https://www.tracfone.com/coverage/mapresults?zip=65046

You'll need to zoom out and then scroll over to Maine and zoom in again. TracFone coverage map web pages are screwed up. Most zip codes show T-Mobile coverage, even if you select that you're bringing an AT&T or Verizon phone. I tried selecting 2 Maine zip codes and they both gave me an error.

If you transfer to a smartphone, your service days will transfer and your minutes will be transferred to minutes, texts and data. So if you have 1000 minutes now, you'll end up with 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 1000 MBs of data. But if you want to transfer back to a basic phone, you only get 1/3. No one knows if you get 1/3 of 1000 or 1/3 of the combined 3000.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

The 840 is 3G GSM, so there is no way it was on (SIM less) 3G CDMA Verizon before GSM AT&T, it had to have been on GSM T-Mobile. Verizon began using SIM cards for LTE service. Look at some of your local stores selling Tracfone and see if the Smartphones are with AT&T or Verizon. Ask if the store is receiving any returns or service complaints about one or the other. It is really up to you to make the effort to determine the best provider for you. Tracfone did not have your best interests in mind if they stuck you with inferior T-Mobile service. That is what they sell me online, and I can not get a signal, even out in my yard. I am a few Miles from the largest Senior High School in town.

There is no roaming with Tracfone Smartphones, be they with AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon service
    If you go with another new Feature Phone it will be DMFL, as TMFL is no longer being offered. You would have to find an older discontinued Model with TMFL. If it is 3G it will have a limited life, as 3G is being phased out in the near future. The future is Voice over LTE (VoLTE).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    When the older Smartphones and SIM kits with TMFL sell out there will be no TMFL available. People are stocking up on the TMFL BYOP SIM kits.
    Will these 3X SIM kits work on all(most) future BYOP's? That is, new unlocked phones?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    Will these 3X SIM kits work on all(most) future BYOP's? That is, new unlocked phones?
    They should, until Tracfone decides otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Mid coast Maine. I'd rather not post my zip, a personal preference. As for coverage, that's why I want to pick the right provider. Also maybe why a non-smartphone maybe one of the only options.
    You should be OK with Verizon as far up the coast as Rockland. Most of the NE corner is US Cellular territory. Reports are that AT&T is pretty iffy up there. At one time you could activate a TracFone directly on US Cell, but now you have to go find native Verizon towers. That was before smartphones where you can't roam at all.

Feedback Score
    TracFone coverage maps stink. I use only carrier maps set to prepaid.

The Verizon map has recently changed. Now bundled with their service advertisement. You have to use "Expand interactive map", then the menu in the top left to choose Prepaid.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/feat...e-sr-lp-t#maps

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You should be OK with Verizon as far up the coast as Rockland. Most of the NE corner is US Cellular territory. Reports are that AT&T is pretty iffy up there. At one time you could activate a TracFone directly on US Cell, but now you have to go find native Verizon towers. That was before smartphones where you can't roam at all.
    I ordered the Samsung Galaxy Luna Pro 5". It's CDMA but it looks like Version and T-Mobil overlap in most of mid coast maine. We well see how well that goes. I'll probably be around asking more questions about it when it comes in.

https://www.hsn.com/products/samsung...xtdata/8525372

I did get the $25 code. What Smartphone cards should I be looking at.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I ordered the Samsung Galaxy Luna Pro 5". What Smartphone cards should I be looking at.
    With the bundled 1-year and 1200/1200/1200, plus any units transferred over from your existing phone, you probably won't need to buy any time card for a while. But you can go to Tracfone web site and see the available smartphone cards.

When you've received the phone and ready to do the transfer, come back here and we'll advise you on the best way to do it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    With the bundled 1-year and 1200/1200/1200, plus any units transferred over from your existing phone, you probably won't need to buy any time card for a while. But you can go to Tracfone web site and see the available smartphone cards.

When you've received the phone and ready to do the transfer, come back here and we'll advise you on the best way to do it.
    A good deal of time and days on the 840. I'll be good for quite a while. I'll bump this thread when I get it ready to transfer everything. The phone number transfers as well I assume?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A good deal of time and days on the 840. The phone number transfers as well I assume?
    The phone number, days, units from your 840G will be transferred to your new phone first. The minutes on your 840G will be put into EACH bucket. Example: if you have 315 minutes on the 840G, it will become 315 talk minutes, and 315 texts, and 315 MB of data on your new phone.
    Then the bundled 1-yr and 1200/1200/1200 will be added on top of that.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    HSN is due to begin their extended holiday (January) return policy again this year. It should start sometimes early October. Orders placed now have the standard 30 day return.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast